Are you a console or PC gamer?
Sep 6, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #166 of 969

I hope they fix the windows store by the time they release it.

I bought quantum break on the winstore and it was forcibly locked to 60 fps, even though I have a 144hz monitor. And you were unable to use steam overlay. I read somewhere they were going to fix both of those things, hopefully Gears will be the game they fix it with. There's no way I'm playing a shooter with locked frames.

Yep, Windows Store exclusive games are a complete mess.  It's worse than Ubisoft games and uPlay.  Neither should be purchased.

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #167 of 969
I've always used console. Although had a 1-2 yr stint around '00-'01, playing Diablo on pc. It was different, but fun. These days I mainly sink my time into The Division on Ps4. First game since golden eye have I been forced to play with others. Lol. Now I'm trying to figure out why the ps4 won't recognize this new Modmic I just bought.

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #168 of 969
Thanks to everyone for contributing to the thread so far! It's gotten about 1,300 views in a month.
beerchug.gif

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #171 of 969
First off I can't stand the term "GAMER"... Just personal preference I guess...

If you see my name or picture you already know the answer. I prefer old 16bit console games

I started with a sega genesis and Windows 2000 Dell Laptop, but today I really don't like Sega but still love windows 2000. Then I got my DS Lite then Wii then GBA games. eventually a N64 and GBC. Then I realized all the virtual console, GBA and some other games I had been playing were orignaly SNES games. so I got a 1991 SNES... I love it! The SNES is my all time favorite console. Yes I own Earthbound and Chrono Trigger I love both of them, I got them a few years ago for cheaper so the price wasn't a big deal. My favorite game though is Yoshi's Island Ive been playing it on my GBA since 2008 and SNES version since 2014.

So Yeah lots of Nintendo stuff, but I have played Halo 4, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Tirismo, Forza, Need for Speed ect...

SNES just stuck with me and I love it!

PS: If you have an SNES, N64 or Gamcube get and S-Video cable it will look much better than the yellow Composite.

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #172 of 969
  First off I can't stand the term "GAMER"... Just personal preference I guess...

If you see my name or picture you already know the answer. I prefer old 16bit console games

I started with a sega genesis and Windows 2000 Dell Laptop, but today I really don't like Sega but still love windows 2000. Then I got my DS Lite then Wii then GBA games. eventually a N64 and GBC. Then I realized all the virtual console, GBA and some other games I had been playing were orignaly SNES games. so I got a 1991 SNES... I love it! The SNES is my all time favorite console. Yes I own Earthbound and Chrono Trigger I love both of them, I got them a few years ago for cheaper so the price wasn't a big deal. My favorite game though is Yoshi's Island Ive been playing it on my GBA since 2008 and SNES version since 2014.

So Yeah lots of Nintendo stuff, but I have played Halo 4, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Tirismo, Forza, Need for Speed ect...

SNES just stuck with me and I love it!

PS: If you have an SNES, N64 or Gamcube get and S-Video cable it will look much better than the yellow Composite.

EarthBound is my second favorite video game of all time! (Final Fantasy VII is my #1.) I got the original box set when it first came out. It sells on eBay for thousands now. Lost most of it over the years, so I only got a few hundred for the cartridge.

You should play Mother 3, which is the sequel to EarthBound, released on Game Boy Advance, but only in Japan, so you have to use the fan translation unless you know Japanese.

Check this out too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshi%27s_Safari
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Scope

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #173 of 969
  EarthBound is my second favorite video game of all time! (Final Fantasy VII is my #1.) I got the original box set when it first came out. It sells on eBay for thousands now. Lost most of it over the years, so I only got a few hundred for the cartridge.

You should play Mother 3, which is the sequel to EarthBound, released on Game Boy Advance, but only in Japan, so you have to use the fan translation unless you know Japanese.

I have looked into Mother 3. Also I have Final fantasy III and IV for the SNES. I really like III but the magic system is to complex. I prefer FF-IV.

Also if you haven't played Dragon Quest, I recommend it, start with "V" A.K.A. "5" the story is crazy good and the battles are like earthbound.

I am currently playing through Star Ocean on an Emulator. It's the largest SNES game ever made and has some voice acting. Saldy it was Japan only. To give it a scale Earthbound and Final Fantasy III were 24-megabit and Star Ocean is 64-megabit.

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #174 of 969

Yep, Windows Store exclusive games are a complete mess.  It's worse than Ubisoft games and uPlay.  Neither should be purchased.

You know the funny thing is that I'm totally open to using the Windows store. Steam, while great, seems to be running a monopoly and MS made it sound like they were really gonna give Valve a run for their money.

It's not even like MS has to try.... All they have to do is make the file format like steam. Easily accessible and able to run the game from the exe directly. Hopefully with the release of Quantum Break on steam, they will wake up and realize that if they want to be taken seriously within the PC gaming community, they need to get serious about the quality of the customer experience.

QB is a great game, I almost want to repurchase it just so I can have it on Steam instead.

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #175 of 969

You know the funny thing is that I'm totally open to using the Windows store. Steam, while great, seems to be running a monopoly and MS made it sound like they were really gonna give Valve a run for their money.

It's not even like MS has to try.... All they have to do is make the file format like steam. Easily accessible and able to run the game from the exe directly. Hopefully with the release of Quantum Break on steam, they will wake up and realize that if they want to be taken seriously within the PC gaming community, they need to get serious about the quality of the customer experience.

QB is a great game, I almost want to repurchase it just so I can have it on Steam instead.

Origin has at least responded to Steam and has gotten much better over the years.  I hear their customer service isn't even terrible anymore.  But uPlay and Windows store are just designed to be insulting and unpleasant for now.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #176 of 969
If you are gamer looking for a new headphone that will not break the bank nor will it require a separate amp the Razer BlackShark is a great option. I replaced my TurtleBeach X12 with it because the x12 is has poor build quality. The BlackShark is a closed headphone with detachable microphone. It is terminated into a 3.5mm jack plug with fits right into an Xbox One controller or headphone adapter. The build quality is wonderful, but I will provide one caveat in that it seals so well that is can get warm after hours of use.

I like the sound with no obvious signs of diminishing sound quality. The seal is excellent and it keeps out all game sounds from the external environment. The mic is very sensitive and nobody online has complained of it being too sensitive which I was worried about since I recorded a message and played it back and it sounded as if the mic was very sensitive.

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #177 of 969
I used to game with headphones, but then I took an arrow in the knee found a Yamaha RX-V579 for only $300 and went from there.

We actually have a thread for headphone gaming right here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/686894/which-headphones-do-you-use-for-pc-gaming

How are the sound stage and imaging capabilities of that BlackShark?  I find gaming headsets always fall short in that regard... and all others actually.  The Audio Technica ATH-A900X at the time (also closed) was far better than all gaming headsets I had tried, which includes some 5.1 headsets (as in they actually have 5 drivers on each side).

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #178 of 969
The soundstage is meh, but to me it is more important to have a good closed headphone for positional cues rather than an open headphone that I have to turn up too loud just to hear footsteps.

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #179 of 969
It's finally happened: my thread has inadvertently become the secondary gaming headphone thread!
biggrin.gif

...Kidding, kidding. One of the main gaming headphone threads is this one:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

Some o' those Razer headphones look epic!

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #180 of 969
Not to derail the thread further but I think the HD800 is pretty decent as gaming headphones, the sound is holographic and spacious with plenty of detail, the only downside is listening fatigue after playing for couple hours. Back on topic (sort of) what do you guys think of the PS4 Pro? I am thinking about buying one for Christmas! Or a cheap PC build??? Hmmmmmm. Sony it is!! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back