Are you a cable person?
May 25, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #31 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hate it when someone is running an hd650 out of an xfi and someone recommends a cable when the author asks what to do next. that is COMPLETEly RETARTED.

Not sure about running out of xfi but on my setup there is an obvious difference running HD650 and K271S with stock or Zu cable. I guess that makes me a cable guy, although uber expensive power cords make me chuckle.

May 25, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #32 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steaxauce, if those are the only factors, then cable people wouldn't be buying $1000 cables, they'd be putting 2$ capacitors in series with their cables.

Have you ever, you know, seen what these people have to say?

They believe that capacitors are the worst things ever.

How horrified would they be if they hooked up a capacitance meter to their fancy cable . . . .

May 25, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #34 of 199
Inserting a headphile blackgold between my e-mu and glite had a possitive, if small, effect on my system. I'm not going to try to substantiate that. That said, I'm not going to classify myself either. I take things one cable at a time.

May 25, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #35 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am!
After buying a $1000 interconnect its hard to claim otherwise...
tongue.gif

[size=medium]LOL!
[/size]

May 25, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #36 of 199
Ok so I wasn't talking about experience or anything of the likes for the capacitors.

But while audio has such a small frequency, and so little power, how could capacitance possibly affect things. In circuit analysis, you would represent the capacitor by a short circuit in these cases.

May 25, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #38 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrenzini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very few people are willing to debate physics, which I find abit strange, as they are usually the ones who are investing the serious money in it. I think you're already abit silly if you're throwing money at something you clearly do not understand.

Debating physics isn't very useful in this context. Obviously there are people who, at least subjectively, perceive a difference when they know they are listening to expensive cables. I think what might be more helpful is make clear what is in the realm of physics (objective), and what is in the realm of psychology (subjective). Like it or not, the best method mankind has for determining this is The Scientific Method. The mistake I think is to call people foolish for their subjective perceptions, when *objective* methods may indicate there is no *real* difference. In the following illustration there is a subjective difference that is not *real* in objective terms, but yet most (sighted) humans still perceive it:

300px-Same_color_illusion.png

Squares A & B are identical *objectively*, yet we see them as different values. Cover up the other visual cues, and the difference goes away, but you are not stupid or delusional for having seen the difference. My problem is people profiting from subjective perceptions by claiming there are *real* objective differences between A & B.

Kerry M

May 25, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #39 of 199
I never thought I was a cable person, but I don't seem to mind arguing about it!

However, I don't want to discuss these things with anybody who presents their own prejudices as science.

I certainly don't hate anyone that disagrees with my choices or opinion though!

Now I think I am a cable guy as I am fascinated by them and will probably investigate further.

May 25, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #41 of 199
I don't believe in cables....

Then again, I didn't believe in anything better than the Senn HD497's, either.

- lk

May 25, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #42 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwanasonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Debating physics isn't very useful in this context. Obviously there are people who, at least subjectively, perceive a difference when they know they are listening to expensive cables. I think what might be more helpful is make clear what is in the realm of physics (objective), and what is in the realm of psychology (subjective). Like it or not, the best method mankind has for determining this is The Scientific Method. The mistake I think is to call people foolish for their subjective perceptions, when *objective* methods may indicate there is no *real* difference. In the following illustration there is a subjective difference that is not *real* in objective terms, but yet most (sighted) humans still perceive it:

300px-Same_color_illusion.png

Squares A & B are identical *objectively*, yet we see them as different values. Cover up the other visual cues, and the difference goes away, but you are not stupid or delusional for having seen the difference. My problem is people profiting from subjective perceptions by claiming there are *real* objective differences between A & B.

Kerry M

This is a good comparision, I saw that one in a mag and I couldn't belive that A and B had the same nuance, so I did cut them out and compared side to side, and yes they were the same. Nowing what the mind can do to you I just can't belive that there is any noticable difference in cables, especially after all those ***** tests done, that shows no difference.

So I guess I'm not a cable guy, but I would be very happy if someone could prove me wrong, but I think no one can.

May 25, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #43 of 199
Not a cable guy.

One side of my DT880 left with the provisorical 20 cent crap copper, other side already with the new HD650 cable **plug** - no difference.

This approach sometimes makes me feel like an Airbourne soldier in Iraq on this very site. Moving caaaarefully...

May 25, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #45 of 199
hmm only with very low signal levels (mics) are cables important. I just keep cable runs as short as possible and don't put them near mains cables and it works fine. For headphone and speakers cables are not going to make a difference unless the cable is very crap which is more likely with a "high" end cable. expensive cables do look nice though
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back