Are these Monster Turbine Pro Gold Edition Real or Fake???
Nov 5, 2010 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Jason1230

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, this is my first post here
smile_phones.gif

I recently bought some 'new' but opened box Monster Turbine Pro Gold  Earphones off EBay for ~£130 (equivalent to ~$210)

I've heard about fake Monster products out in the market and so I'm a bit worried whether the earphones I bought are real or not.

I have a few pictures of my Monster Turbine Pro Golds so please could someone confirm with me if there're real??

I've looked at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512386/fake-monster-turbine-pro-copper-comparing-real-vs-fake and most of it checks out alright.

The main concerns I have are:

• The plastic bags used to package the tips and the clip thing seem to be the ones used for the fakes.
  • There were no supertips, comply tips or the 1/4' adapter with my box, the guy who sold me the earphones said they didn't originally get them either.
  • Since there were no supertips, there was no gold sticker at the front of the box saying the supertips were included.
  • There wasn't as much bass as I'd thought they'd be given Monster's advertising on these. But I guess this is more of a subjective opinion than a cause for concern.....

I really hope you guys can help. I would really appreciate it too
smile_phones.gif

Notice there is no 'Supertips Included' sticker on the top left of the packaging:

Please Note: These Comply Tips did NOT come with the earphones, I bought them myself separately elsewhere

I'm concerned about the plastic packaging in this photo:

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 33
a lot of headphones sold on e-bay are fake, which is why I never by my headphones from there. You could always give monster a call and see if they are, though.

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 33
Its a tough call. While I havent had my fingers on the golds, here's what I have found from the Copper's and the MD's:

The monster sticker on the back of the turbine housing should be embossed (symbol sticks out)
Machining on the turbine fins shouldnt be a flat plain, it rounds off
The metal on the cable split does not come masked from the factory, in any way
Lack of supertips and revolver ear tip carrier is a pretty big indicator that they are fake (or possibly early model)

Now, the dead giveaways if they are fake or not (I hope you dont mind me using your pics Zedd1)
If you look at your tips from a side profile, the mesh should be "bubbling out" on the real ones. The fakes are recessed

Now, with all that said, you "may" have gotten a really early build of these. Still, even if you are a basshead, you should hear some serious low end from these. My MD's really pack a wallop, and Coppers are not that far behind. I'd expect the Golds to have a punchier feel than the MD's.

If I were you, I would return them anyway. The limited lifetime warranty does not cover second hand owners. Even if they were brand new, it needs to be purchased from an athorized dealer for the warranty to be acnowleged by Monster.

PS: If the seller is selling more than one of these headphones, but are all "open box", I would seriously consider their legitimacy. That's an easy way to cover up for the blemishes of the fake sets

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 33
As explained above.  Also check the weight of the ear pieces.  The real ones have substantial weight.  Even if it was an early production, it did come with sample super tips.  Why the previous owner didn't include the stuff is suspicious.  Looking at the close up shots, there appears to be too much gap in the construction.  Also, if you don't hear deep and low bass with a good seal, sounds like you've been had.  If so, make this a lesson and don't buy known fake models on eBay or Craigslist (unless you can inspect first).

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 33
For sure you should hear a good bit of bass, i had the coppers and the bass was powerful and deep, although lacking the impact of a BA. Also seal plays a big part in the sound, that could be an issue. i dunno, stay away from eBay unless an authorized dealer which can be confirmed by the manufacturer if any doubts. your better off dealing with the forum and get a deal on some used stuff, for the most part everyone here takes care of there stuff because of the never ending search for the best, which keeps resale value up.Good luck man.

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #6 of 33

Hi guys. Firstly I'd like to say I really appreciate the help your giving me at the moment
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
Its a tough call. While I havent had my fingers on the golds, here's what I have found from the Copper's and the MD's:

The monster sticker on the back of the turbine housing should be embossed (symbol sticks out)
Lack of supertips and revolver ear tip carrier is a pretty big indicator that they are fake (or possibly early model)

Now, the dead giveaways if they are fake or not (I hope you dont mind me using your pics Zedd1)
If you look at your tips from a side profile, the mesh should be "bubbling out" on the real ones. The fakes are recessed

Now, with all that said, you "may" have gotten a really early build of these. Still, even if you are a basshead, you should hear some serious low end from these. My MD's really pack a wallop, and Coppers are not that far behind. I'd expect the Golds to have a punchier feel than the MD's.

If I were you, I would return them anyway. The limited lifetime warranty does not cover second hand owners. Even if they were brand new, it needs to be purchased from an athorized dealer for the warranty to be acnowleged by Monster.

PS: If the seller is selling more than one of these headphones, but are all "open box", I would seriously consider their legitimacy. That's an easy way to cover up for the blemishes of the fake sets

I've edited my OP to add a couple more pictures of the earphones without the tips on. You can see that the mesh area looks alot more like Zedd1's 'Real' pair of earphones than the fakes. Also I've notcied that the mesh bubbles out slightly like you said aleki.

The back of the earphones where the Monster logo is inside those turbine fins, protrudes outwards like you said.

Yes the ends of the turbine fins/slits seem to round off.

I've noticed that the earphones themselves as well as the cable splitter part was masked in tape when I first opened it.

How can I tell which model of the earphones I have??

The EBay seller only sold them as a one off, and hasn't been selling anymore of them. He is definitely not making a business out of them.

As for the sound.... I can definitely feel the bass, but it's just not as much as they are hyped up to be, for me anyways. I've noticed other threads on this forum that other ppl with the Monster Turbine Golds have experienced this also. But other than that, I think the sound quality is great.

I've always been able to get a good seal with the Comply foam tips, so I don't think the seal is a problem.

Thanks alot guys, I hope I can get more help from more of you
dt880smile.png

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 33

Hi guys. Firstly I'd like to say I really appreciate the help your giving me at the moment
smile_phones.gif

Quote:

I've edited my OP to add a couple more pictures of the earphones without the tips on. You can see that the mesh area looks alot more like Zedd1's 'Real' pair of earphones than the fakes. Also I've notcied that the mesh bubbles out slightly like you said aleki.

The back of the earphones where the Monster logo is inside those turbine fins, protrudes outwards like you said.

Yes the ends of the turbine fins/slits seem to round off.

I've noticed that the earphones themselves as well as the cable splitter part was masked in tape when I first opened it.

How can I tell which model of the earphones I have??

The EBay seller only sold them as a one off, and hasn't been selling anymore of them. He is definitely not making a business out of them.

As for the sound.... I can definitely feel the bass, but it's just not as much as they are hyped up to be, for me anyways. I've noticed other threads on this forum that other ppl with the Monster Turbine Golds have experienced this also. But other than that, I think the sound quality is great.

I've always been able to get a good seal with the Comply foam tips, so I don't think the seal is a problem.

Thanks alot guys, I hope I can get more help from more of you
dt880smile.png

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 33
I can't help you with the legitimacy of the earphones but also noticed myself that there have been alot of these available on ebay over the last month. A large number are being sold from Hong Kong and seller usually has bulk quantities and claims to have bought them direct from the factory. Problem is they also sell them as a bulk pack (say 10 boxes in one sale), so someone looking to make a quick buck buys them most probably knowing/guessing they are fake and then sells them on from their own country. I've tried reporting the problem to ebay but nobody cares as long as they are getting their seller's fees and paypal fees. And Monster don't seem to care either from reading their website their mantra is if you don't buy from an authorised dealer we don't care.

Dave

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 33
I'm pretty sure those are fake. Monster doesn't put that plastic wrap on the Y-split.

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 33
I've just noticed that the EBay seller has listed this item again twice in the last few weeks.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Monster-Turbine-Pro-Gold-Earphones-BNIB-/290494698311?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item43a2d55347

In the listing the guy says he could provide receipt proof that he originally bought them from a retailer elsewhere before putting it up for sale on EBay.

At the time when I bought them I requested a copy of this receipt and this is what he gave me:

When I first made this post I was convinced these were real, but with your help, you may have saved me from being ripped off. Also, after seeing this seller list the same earphones twice after selling them to me, it makes me even more suspicious of him than ever.

So what do you think guys?? You think I should try and get a return??

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 33
If those are the pictures, I doubt they are the real.  I've owned the MTPG/MTPC twice each and they do not come with the ear pieces wrap like that.  Yes, get  refund.  As a buyer, you have the winning cards.  It may take a week or two, but in the end you should get your money back. 

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 33
I will add to this..
Be very clear to the seller that you want a full reimbursement (including the shipping cost back to them). if not, file a claim with ebay under the violation of their terms of use (they cant intentionally sell frauds).

Also, if you have a friend in the US, you can see if they can pick up a pair from a dealer. considering onecall regularly price matches their turbine copper's for ~$220 US, it wouldnt surprize me if they would be willing to sell the gold's for $200 or less. I'd help you, but I'm in a little deep with work as of now :|

Quote:
If those are the pictures, I doubt they are the real.  I've owned the MTPG/MTPC twice each and they do not come with the ear pieces wrap like that.  Yes, get  refund.  As a buyer, you have the winning cards.  It may take a week or two, but in the end you should get your money back. 

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 33
Apart from the plastic wrapping on the ear pieces and cable splitter, I noticed that the earphones themselves generally checked out alright in comparison with the thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512386/fake-monster-turbine-pro-copper-comparing-real-vs-fake.

Also I think the sound quality is actually quite good, though I havn't had other real Monster Turbine Pro Golds to compare the sound with....

Quote:
As explained above.  Also check the weight of the ear pieces.  The real ones have substantial weight.  Even if it was an early production, it did come with sample super tips.  Why the previous owner didn't include the stuff is suspicious.  Looking at the close up shots, there appears to be too much gap in the construction.

I've weighed my earphones on a weight scale. The ear pieces without eartips each weigh around 5g-5.5g. And altogether i.e. with the whole cable, the jack, but not the eartips or the clip on the shirt thingy, it weighed around 22.6g. Can someone tell if these weights are way off the weight of the real Monster Turbine Pro Golds, or if they are actually relatively similar??

I will wait til the end of the weekend before asking for a return.

I'm currently waiting on replies from Monster and the website where the seller claimed to have bought the earphones from: http://dash-retail.co.uk/; to help confirm if these are fake or real. I guess they'd also provide some sort of evidence if I end up filing a claim with EBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I will add to this..
Be very clear to the seller that you want a full reimbursement (including the shipping cost back to them). if not, file a claim with ebay under the violation of their terms of use (they cant intentionally sell frauds).

Also, if you have a friend in the US, you can see if they can pick up a pair from a dealer. considering onecall regularly price matches their turbine copper's for ~$220 US, it wouldnt surprize me if they would be willing to sell the gold's for $200 or less. I'd help you, but I'm in a little deep with work as of now :|

Unforunately I don't know anyone in the US, too bad onecall doesn't ship to the UK otherwise I would definitely consider buying from them. Does anyone know any other place that is cheap, is an authorized dealer and would ship to the UK??
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #14 of 33
Hi mate.
I just sold mine yesterday Monster turbine Pro Gold but i buyed them my self on ebay.(I sold them because i tryed something new that gave me WOW Factor!)
But im quite sure mine is real since i have contact Monster and give them number of the package.
I did this for getting the supertips since it didnt include, because i buyed them early.
You will notice the bass quite well but dont know if yours are burned in, factor like burned in,tips,mp3 have quite the impact on the sound.

Anyways i have some pic of mines if you want them.
You can try contact SoundMatters12 here at Headfi, or mail to achan@monstercable.com or dwillis@monstercable.com.
To check with them if it is real do it quick^^, ps please dont tell them that you got the email from me hihihi.
Sorry for my bad english

Hope it will work out!

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #15 of 33
if these are fake will you be able to get your money back?  well i think theyare as the pics of the grill you took shows that the grill is not placed neatly as shown in the origenal pic. in th fake v/s real comparison . contact the guy immediately and get your money back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back