Are these insane STEREOPHILE jitter comments?
Aug 27, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #76 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That and some audiophiles can hear the difference in "sound quality" if you move the music from one hard drive to another in the same computer.

but only on a Tuesday with a full moon and two pure silver quarters in each pocket
tongue.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #77 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but only on a Tuesday with a full moon and two pure silver quarters in each pocket
tongue.gif

Just because you guys can't hear the difference between a Western Digital and a Fujitsu doesn't mean there is no difference. Consider yourself blessed. Your hearing limits will save you a lot of money...sniff. When you can hear how much more airy and open 500 GB worth of lossless files sound when spread out over a Terabite drive, get back to me. Then we'll talk brands.

k701smile.gif

Tim

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #78 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because you guys can't hear the difference between a Western Digital and a Fujitsu doesn't mean there is no difference. Consider yourself blessed. Your hearing limits will save you a lot of money...sniff. When you can hear how much more airy and open 500 GB worth of lossless files sound when spread out over a Terabite drive, get back to me. Then we'll talk brands.

k701smile.gif

Tim

What's even better is how such comments have been made, when the music is being listened to within several feet of the drive, and there's no mention of mechanical decoupling. *palmface*

Aug 29, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #79 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many audiophile DACs that advertise warmth and a more analog sound. I'm not sure there's a difference between that and a non-flat FR.

Tim

And to be fair, the overwhelming majority of level matched blind test comparisons that have been executed and published onlilne show that in fact, there is usually no warmth in the audiophile units; just flat/neural response as it should be. Now, in the case of the rare/occasional unit that is actually modifying the signal enough to be audibly different/colored on purpose -- yikes! I prefer to stay away. Far away.

It would seem, that usually, advertisements are B.S., regardless of what product is being promoted. Surprise, surprise.
smily_headphones1.gif

Chris

Aug 29, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #80 of 91
Originally Posted by tfarney

Tim, you're such a neophyte. I keep my bits sorted by energy level in idividual quantum wells kept at 1k above absolute zero. They are reassembled into audio data immediately prior to sending to the DAC by a CRAY MP that is oriented along a lay-line that runs through my server room. I remove all jitter by keeping the whole rig in a dynamically adjusted temporal stabilizer (yes, a small time-machine). With my rig I can distinguish between brands of liquid hydrogen and tell even a 0.1% change in the ogxgen/nitrogen ration in my listening room. Get back to me when you can show some r4eal dedication to the arts. (P.S. My DAC is a Creative SB Live.)

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #81 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by gyrodec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Originally Posted by tfarney

Tim, you're such a neophyte. I keep my bits sorted by energy level in idividual quantum wells kept at 1k above absolute zero. They are reassembled into audio data immediately prior to sending to the DAC by a CRAY MP that is oriented along a lay-line that runs through my server room. I remove all jitter by keeping the whole rig in a dynamically adjusted temporal stabilizer (yes, a small time-machine). With my rig I can distinguish between brands of liquid hydrogen and tell even a 0.1% change in the ogxgen/nitrogen ration in my listening room. Get back to me when you can show some r4eal dedication to the arts. (P.S. My DAC is a Creative SB Live.)

Finally, something worth reading in this thread, lol
beerchug.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #82 of 91
I eliminated jitter in my CD player by putting a concrete block on top of it. I clean my power by running the power cords through my bathtub (while my mother in law takes a bath).

See ya
Steve

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #83 of 91
Good way to test how well the insulation works. Any current leaks?

Aug 29, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #84 of 91
Quote:

They are reassembled into audio data immediately prior to sending to the DAC by a CRAY MP that is oriented along a lay-line that runs through my server room.

Way to go with the vintage gear! Do you find it sounds warmer than modern stuff?
wink_face.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #85 of 91
clarke68

I recently tried using the awesome power of the new CUDA stream processing based on Nvidia graphics cards, but I found the results a bit too three-dimensional.

(Nice to know I'm not the only true geek around here.)

Aug 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #86 of 91
Quote:

I sit at the feet of the master, wondering if, when he plays music, Big Shot can smell the feet of his mother-in-law.

Tim

Aug 29, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #87 of 91
Quote:

Nice to know I'm not the only true geek around here.

On Head-Fi? Are you kidding me? How could there be any doubt?
L3000.gif

In an off-topic fit of nostalgia, I looked up the Cray X-MP on wikipedia. It had less than 8% of the raw power of an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700, and cost about $15 million...plus the cost of disks.

They sure don't make 'em like they used to. Good thing!

Aug 30, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #88 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On Head-Fi? Are you kidding me? How could there be any doubt?
L3000.gif

In an off-topic fit of nostalgia, I looked up the Cray X-MP on wikipedia. It had less than 8% of the raw power of an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700, and cost about $15 million...plus the cost of disks.

They sure don't make 'em like they used to. Good thing!

Yes, but it was so musical.

Tim

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #89 of 91
It's been 1 year. Have any of you modified your equipment? Has there been an audio breakthrough to make me want to buy any of the equipment mentioned in these threads? I have money burning a hole in my pocket!!!

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #90 of 91
Hire a software engineer that isn't brain-dead to develop a proper protocol to replace the stupidity called S/PDIF.

I'll take on the project at $200/hr and quote you 12 months at 40 hours/week.
wink.gif

Of course if the community wants to get together on this joint effort, an open-source protocol could be made fort this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back