Are these insane STEREOPHILE jitter comments?
Aug 26, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #61 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am building a passive I/V w/step-up transformer as a filter like used in the AudioNote DAC's, what are your opinions of this technique?

My 1st advise would be to subject that transformer circuit to a frequency sweep test so that you can get an idea of the drop off at the sub 100Hz and post 20KHz region. If you are using a delta sigma DAC chip, then you shouldn't have to lose sleep about anti-aliasing noise, so don't go heavy on the filtering. You may not need any extra filtering at all. But keep the transformer away from other parts by at least 2cm if possible, and away from opamps or transistors that give off noticeable heat. Transformers change their sound with temperature fluctuations. By giving it enough space to 'breath' and stabilize its core temperature, you can even out any nasty tonal variations between winter and summer listening.
I find it useful to insert a Zobel network in the secondary side of legs of the transformer in order to combat any phase reversal or frequency dependent loading effect. But this partly depends on the input circuit design of the following amplifier the DAC is plugged into.
Just don't fit any resistors in series with the transformer output. It will kill low level detail, make the DAC sound dark, and strangle the dynamics.
Same way, don't fit a DC blocking cap in series. Transformers don't pass DC
wink.gif
, so avoid adding any unneeded obstacles to the sound path.

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #62 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps the biggest impact a DAC can have, but far from the biggest impact on sound from any kind of audio equipment. There are other things that are much more important.

See ya
Steve

Based on my experience auditioning mrorroyo's Glow Amp One, I'm not sure I can still agree. If a DAC is bad enough, as it is in the Glow, the effect is dramatic. Switching from the Glow's DAC to my own very modest one was like going from bad earbuds to big Senns. And what a pity. It's an absolutely great-sounding amp that many will reject if they plug in via USB.

Tim

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #63 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no magazines out there that are trying to convince me that Scarlett is less beautiful than Charlize, based on visual flaws that fall outside of the range of human vision.

Tim

Gold!
smile.gif

Though I'm sure someone will dig up an obscure Japanese or German research paper that suggests the perception of beauty extends - via the subconscious mind - beyond the visible spectrum into the ultraviolet range...

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #64 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gold!
smile.gif

Though I'm sure someone will dig up an obscure Japanese or German research paper that suggests the perception of beauty extends - via the subconscious mind - beyond the visible spectrum into the ultraviolet range...

Will Italian do? They seem to know a lot about beauty:
PLoS ONE: The Golden Beauty: Brain Response to Classical and Renaissance Sculptures

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #65 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on my experience auditioning mrorroyo's Glow Amp One, I'm not sure I can still agree. If a DAC is bad enough, as it is in the Glow, the effect is dramatic.

Sometimes I wonder if the people making crappy equipment ever listen to it. You're right. Anything in the chain can ruin sound.

See ya
Steve

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #66 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I find more interesting is how people with vast amounts of money sunk into their systems can't bear statements grounded in fact when they contradict what they think they hear.

You really think these guys actually have all that stuff? I think they go shopping in their mind so they can playact looking down their nose on the world.

See ya
Steve

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #67 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that means a convex frequency curve, facing upwards so the midrange is "enhanced."

That sort of thing would be clearly reflected on the frequency response curve. Are there DACs that advertise having non-flat FR? Who would buy such a thing?

See ya
Steve

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #68 of 91
Quote:

You really think these guys actually have all that stuff? I think they go shopping in their mind so they can playact looking down their nose on the world.

See ya
Steve

We feel the same about your illustrious Bigshot Hollywood Studio Executive dream
wink.gif

BTW, I own every piece of equipment in my signature. If you don't believe me, drive the five miles from Hollywood to Burbank and I'll show it to you.

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #69 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We feel the same about your illustrious Bigshot Hollywood Studio Executive dream
wink.gif

BTW, I own every piece of equipment in my signature. If you don't believe me, drive the five miles from Hollywood to Burbank and I'll show it to you.

And quite the impressive List o' Quipment it is...*envy*.

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #70 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And quite the impressive List o' Quipment it is...*envy*.

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #71 of 91
even though I've invested in a high-end CDP, I still like the comments from Hi-Fi New about modern CD players saying that the point of diminishing return is so great beyond ~ $2,000 that you're best off buying the best Denon you can afford! haha

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #72 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, I own every piece of equipment in my signature.

I'd be more interested in seeing the kind of music you listen to in your sig than what you play it on. Listing equipment is like showing people photographs of the shelves in your library without any books on them.

See ya
Steve

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #73 of 91
Quote:

That sort of thing would be clearly reflected on the frequency response curve. Are there DACs that advertise having non-flat FR? Who would buy such a thing?

See ya
Steve

There are many audiophile DACs that advertise warmth and a more analog sound. I'm not sure there's a difference between that and a non-flat FR.

Tim

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #74 of 91
There would have to be. "Warmth" is a non-specific term describing a specific response curve.

See ya
Steve

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #75 of 91
Quote:

There would have to be. "Warmth" is a non-specific term describing a specific response curve.

See ya
Steve

Yep. Pretty non-specific, but generally referring to some combination of mid-bass boost and/or high treble roll-off. Non-flat FR curve.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back