Are there flat/neutral headphones for under $150?
Dec 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

lejaz

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,
I'm looking for good headphones for late night studio work. I've tried the AKG 240's(a little too 'warm'...dull, IMO), Equation rp-21's(so far the best I've tried), and the ubiquitous Sony mdr-v6. The Sony's seem the least flat...too bright. Someone suggested a model by Roland, but I heard that the mids are a little recessed. Any other suggestions for headphones that have a flat/neutral frequency response would be much appreciated. Thanks

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 28
Depends how neutral you mean neutral. You know that your ears aren't exactly like everyone elses, right?

Equation RP-21's might fit the bill. Unless you have more bass sensitivity than average - some people who prefer AKG K501 or Audio-Technica ATH-A900 levels of bass feel that the RP-21 has "wooly" and "prominant" bass.

As compared to my DT770, I think the RP-21 had clearer mids and maybe a little less bass.

If you are bass-averse - and some people really are - look for a used K501 maybe.

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 28
El Doug: Eq would defeat the purpose. I want to hear my music as it was recorded... for monitoring/mixing purposes.

thoughtcriminal: Thanks...I've heard of these...will keep an eye open.

ericj: I'm trying to achieve mixes that will sound good on high quality speakers/monitors. So, having headphones that match as closely as possible the flat response of good studio monitors is what I am hoping to find. Thanks for the comparison to the DT-770's. I was looking at those, but don't want prominent bass.
Yes, the mids seem to be good on the RP-21's...a little more prominent than on the AKG's which is why the AKGs sound warmer.

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 28
AKG K271

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
El Doug: Eq would defeat the purpose. I want to hear my music as it was recorded... for monitoring/mixing purposes.

I think...I think he means that you should compensate for the sound sig. of the headphones by EQ-ing. e.g., Your headphones are a bit too dark, so you make the audio output brighter via EQ, thus neutralizing the darkness of the cans. I dunno if it works that way, but it's an idea.

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 28
Two criticisms:

1: Studio engineers typically use more EQ than the average home listener is capable of throwing at a recording.

2: Nothing mixed exclusively on headphones will sound right on speakers.

Dec 11, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 28
Really enjoy my RP-21s. They aren't completely neutral, but I've done many mixes with them and been very satisfied with the results.

My only complaint with them is that they are not very potable. If you are planning on carrying headphones around with you, the RP-21s aren't very flexible. After about a year and a half of carrying them around, one of the plastic sides broke on my pair.

If you are looking for great sounding studio monitoring headphones or neutral home listening phones, I'd highly recomend the RP-21s. If you're looking for DJ phones or something to carry around, I'd keep my eye out for something more portable.

That being said, I'm going to purchase a pair of ATH-M50's soon to take around with me since they are more portable. Can't comment on them yet though, since I've yet to hear them.

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #12 of 28
I would go the IEM route and pick up a pair of ER4P (I've seen a few floating around the FS forums for ~$110)

Dec 11, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 28
Thanks to all for the input:

Uncle erik: No, I haven't seen the 240DF around, but I think they are/were designed to be very flat for studio use. I was a little concerned about using 600ohm cans with the amp on my emu0404 usb, but it's probably got enough umph for them. For now I'll probably switch back and forth between the 240S's and the RP-21's and try to get my mixes to sound good on both.

DT250's I know get a lot of love from studio guys. If I ever see a cheap used set, I'll probably get them...or K271's.

ericj: Yes, engineers use eq..of course...and so do I, but before you use eq, you have to have an accurate picture of what you have recorded. I used to use the mdr-v6's and wound up cutting a lot of upper mids because what I was hearing in the cans was too bright. Then when I listened with the 240's my mixes sounded way too dark. I'm looking to get some decent studio monitor speakers one day soon. The lead singer of the old '70's band Boston mixed one of their big hit records with....guess what....AKG 240's!

Acix: Haven't heard of the GMP 250's, but will check them out.

AmanGeorge: Can't stand wearing em, though I hear they are supposed to be very accurate.

Dec 11, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then when I listened with the 240's my mixes sounded way too dark. I'm looking to get some decent studio monitor speakers one day soon. The lead singer of the old '70's band Boston mixed one of their big hit records with....guess what....AKG 240's!

Keep in mind that there are Many K240 variants. The DF - the one I'm wearing right now - is certainly one of the best.

The K240-S, unfortunately the only model you can buy new for the last few years, isn't.

The -M is OK but for some reason i never pick it up. I'd sell it if i thought I'd get more than $40 for it.

The middle-era sextett is good too. Between it and the DF, I never reach for the -M.

Oh yeah, the K141-M is worth considering too, if you can wear supra-aural without pain.

I can vouch for the DT250 as well - I love my DT250-80 and they will probably serve as my earmuffs all winter. I picked mine up for something like $26 with a broken yoke on the left side - the Y shaped part was broken where it attaches to the headband - I was able to fix it. I've seen working pairs go for $80-$120 on ebay. You should also be able to get a DT150 used in that range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back