Are there any remote controlled DACs that don't cost an arm and leg?
Oct 28, 2010 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

roker

Headphoneus Supremus
Seriously, DACs are already overpriced but add something ancient like a remote and the whole world explodes.

I just want something with a volume control and perhaps some different sources.

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 9
Roker,

Have you seen this product?:

http://emotiva.com/xda1.shtm

I own the Emotiva ERC-1 and it's a very solid CD player.  You might check the XDA-1 out once it releases.  Emotiva had a 30-day return policy in case you don't like it.

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Roker,

Have you seen this product?:

http://emotiva.com/xda1.shtm

I own the Emotiva ERC-1 and it's a very solid CD player.  You might check the XDA-1 out once it releases.  Emotiva had a 30-day return policy in case you don't like it.

wow

that looks beautiful and it's balanced

I think you just saved me some headache

Looks like my problems have been adressed.

I'm going to preorder this baby in a few days then review it on my blog

thanks.

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 9
This looks excellent.  I've been debating about getting another DAC but the remote control, the feature sets, and the great looks at a competitive price make it very tempting.

I'm going to look forward to your review on it Roker.  That is, if I don't get one myself before that
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 9
why would you need a volume control on a DAC. Perhaps we need one on amp maybe? I have seen one head-fi member getting a remote control volume by special order from WooAudio amp.

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 9
If you want a remote control and the ability to select different sources, it sounds like you need a preamp more than a DAC.

Get a preamp with a remote and connect the DAC of your choice to it as one of the sources.

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 9
the HLLY DMK has a remote, but apparently it cannot do 24/96 over coax and it's got a crummy built-in headamp. The DAC looks good though, using AD797AR opamps.

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:

Get a preamp with a remote and connect the DAC of your choice to it as one of the sources.

Doing that is a headache that'll cost me too much.

I figured a preamp + DAC combo will suit my needs the best.  I have a pair of NHT M-00s (Active Monitors) setup in my living room and I'm going to buy an Apple TV module and connect it via optical.  I'll be able to stream my music to the speakers and at the same time use it with the TV.

If I buy a decent preamp and a separate DAC (optical), I'll probably end up spending 700 to 900 on it vs the 300 they want for this combo. Most preamps are pricey and big and I have no desire to buy a cheap receiver from the big box stores. Also, If I want to use headphones (which I rarely do in the living room), I can always use my portable amp through the unbalanced outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back