Are there any other IEM's (in the same price range) which sound close to the airy EX1000?
Jan 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DMinor

Formerly lostid
I have been using the EX1000 for more than 6 months now and really enjoy the music (primarily classical) with my iPods. What amazes me is the airy and energetic sound with big sound stage, smooth treble, extended and controlled bass and sufficient details (yet not analytical). It always sounds fresh and live.

I am a heavy listener of music everyday and from my experience the EX1000 has definitely refined following many hrs of usage for a few months. The sibilance and treble spike are none issues now. There was a little bit of those at the beginning although it didn't really bother me.

I own IE80 and EX1000, and if not for the EX1000 I may have already tried other high end ones. With the EX1000, I just don't hear the need to try the $800 and up.

Now as the title says, are there any other IEM's in the same price range - with dynamic or BA drivers - that can compete with the EX1000?

If there is, I am thinking about substituting my IE80 with that one. :)

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for mentioning these. They seem worth trying. What are the weakness of these two?

For the 4ai I can't comment much as I haven't tested them out yet. But from the reviews that I've read, they seems to be worth checking out.

For the W4, I would say it is more to balance sound but not flat. It does have a slight bass boost. Instrument separation is very well done in it's class. Clear and energized. Mids are lush and articulate. IMO, the mids of W4 blends in very well with the vocals which makes it truly enjoyable. Treble is extremely smooth and not fatiguing. Highs are well extended with no sharp shrill even if pushed to a V shape sound signature. Soundstage is pretty wide which puts you at ~5th row of the concert hall. For comparison, soundstage is slightly behind TF10 but is still good. The only flaw I find with the W4 is that there is a slight "veil" at the lower mids which can be irritating at times especially with low bitrate tracks.
However, I paired it with a silver dragon cable which apparently removed the "veil". The silver dragon cable pushed the W4 up and enhanced the clarity resulting in a slightly brighter sound whilst retaining the original sound signature.

Hope this helps! :)

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 8
Not trying to be a killjoy, but I personally don't see any point in getting a similar-sounding IEM within EX1000's price range, especially considering that you enjoy your EX1000. Unless there's serious comfort/fit issue involved, or you just want an IEM with different sound-sig to complement EX1000.

Or if you have a wad of cash to burn.

Whether there are IEMs out there that can compete with EX1000 is highly subjective, is it not? Heck, I think my F111 can compete with just about any IEMs out there, no matter the price.

On a more non-killjoy note though, you might want to check out EarSonics SM3v2 or the newly released SM64. I haven't heard SM64 yet, but I would describe SM3v2 as having smooth treble, big soundstage, deep controlled bass and sufficiently analytical without being harsh.

Hope this helps!

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
For the 4ai I can't comment much as I haven't tested them out yet. But from the reviews that I've read, they seems to be worth checking out.

For the W4, I would say it is more to balance sound but not flat. It does have a slight bass boost. Instrument separation is very well done in it's class. Clear and energized. Mids are lush and articulate. IMO, the mids of W4 blends in very well with the vocals which makes it truly enjoyable. Treble is extremely smooth and not fatiguing. Highs are well extended with no sharp shrill even if pushed to a V shape sound signature. Soundstage is pretty wide which puts you at ~5th row of the concert hall. For comparison, soundstage is slightly behind TF10 but is still good. The only flaw I find with the W4 is that there is a slight "veil" at the lower mids which can be irritating at times especially with low bitrate tracks.
However, I paired it with a silver dragon cable which apparently removed the "veil". The silver dragon cable pushed the W4 up and enhanced the clarity resulting in a slightly brighter sound whilst retaining the original sound signature.

Hope this helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the info. I am guessing the W4 is less darker and veiled than the IE80 yet still very balanced.

Quote:
Not trying to be a killjoy, but I personally don't see any point in getting a similar-sounding IEM within EX1000's price range, especially considering that you enjoy your EX1000. Unless there's serious comfort/fit issue involved, or you just want an IEM with different sound-sig to complement EX1000.

Or if you have a wad of cash to burn.

Whether there are IEMs out there that can compete with EX1000 is highly subjective, is it not? Heck, I think my F111 can compete with just about any IEMs out there, no matter the price.

On a more non-killjoy note though, you might want to check out EarSonics SM3v2 or the newly released SM64. I haven't heard SM64 yet, but I would describe SM3v2 as having smooth treble, big soundstage, deep controlled bass and sufficiently analytical without being harsh.

Hope this helps!

Well I can live with just EX1000 at this point. But I don't mind switching to a different pair of IEM's for a change of taste. More important to have one spare pair of IEM's is when the EX1000 stops doing its job one day (it's a matter of time and when that will happen) i won't be left without music to listen. That will be extremely terrible feeling considering I am so attached to music everyday.

Thanks for the info on the SM64 and will check that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back