Are the V-Modas overrated by people who don't have enough experience with headphones?
Jan 28, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #226 of 229
I don't know about "overrated" but apparently "highly rated" is a definite answer. I recently got my friend a pair of the XS headphones and he and his boss's son were blown away. "Love them" "awesome" "literally amazing" "so clear" "you can hear everything" etc. etc. I listened to them and liked them but was not blown away. I thought they were a very solid entry level headphone if you're into that type of sound signature/headphone style (especially at the price I got them - $119). There was nothing I found offensive about their sound (not exactly my style, but acceptable). I personally loved the build/look/design more than the sound. I also listened to the V-Moda M-100 and wasn't offended by their sound either, and I'm the exact opposite of a bass-head. The thing that offended me the most about the M-100 were the "hollowness" of the sound, which I'm going to guess is just a natural by-product of closed back headphones. Other than that, I thought they sounded really good in general (and I'm a massive Senn 600 fanboy now). disclaimer: I listened to the m-100s a long time ago BEFORE I got into Senns, so my opinion NOW may change if I hear them again. But at the time, I kind of knew what I liked in headphones regardless and was still not offended. (edit: i was definitely a newcomer to headphones during the m-100 period, and am still a relative newcomer in the XS period -- ie, now)

The "hollowness" that you refer to may be it's recessed midrange. Otherwise I think it's bass anf treble is quite good. I think the vmoda cf wireless is better.

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #229 of 229
I just recently got a pair of the Phantom Chrome M100's and I would most likely be unhappy had I paid $300. I'm a bass head for sure, but for the money there are better options. I have a set of JVC HA-SZ2000's that I paid around $190 for and the V-Moda's really can't compare. Well, unless portability is a requirement, because the JVC's are massive. The M100's do feel solidly built, and I enjoy them a bit when I don't want the bass of the JVC's, but then again I have better all around headphones for those times too. So I haven't decided yet if the V-Modas will stay in my collection or not. As to the OP's question, yes, I do find them a bit overrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back