Are the V-Modas overrated by people who don't have enough experience with headphones?
Mar 23, 2014 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 229

RMac

100+ Head-Fier
Now that I have your attention
biggrin.gif
let me state my case.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong but the top of the line V-Modas are the M100's which sit at $300.  When I look at this headphone, yeah I'm judging a book by its cover but it just doesn't seem like a bonafide good headphone.  If I didn't know any better, I'd think it was Skullcandy trying to market their products to goths and steampunks and whatnot.
So I'm a bit judgmental.  But there is no way for me to audition these and they just don't scream $300 to me.  $150 at best.   You can get the excellent Hifiman HE-400's for $300 new these days.

Does anyone have credible experience with the V-Modas and would still crown them as a good brand?  Or has it been hyped up by kids who don't know no better?

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 229
Definitely. And yes, I've heard the M-100.

BTW, I didn't like the HE-400, but technically and sonically they're way ahead of the M-100. My ideal perfect headphone would have the HE-400's bass.

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 229
For 2 reasons i didn't like them:

1.) Comfort is just terrible for me. Clamping force is too high, ear cups are too shallow and the headband has not enough cushion. The cable is remarkable stiff and not very flexible.

2.) "for bass heads", well apparently i am not a bass head. Bloated and muddy is as what i would describe them.

I am for sure not a very experienced listener but i clearly preferred the v6 over the m100, and that is like 25% of the price.

Further I got my X1 for like 60% of the price (exceptional good deal) and dont feel the m100 has anything to offer...

...but when my colleagues at work listened to them quite a lot of those beats fans LOVED the punchiness of the bloated bass. So for "bass heads" (for me still just an excuse) there might be more to them.

Mar 23, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 229
i don't think it's a fair comparison.
HE400 is not portable can like M100 which is lighter and pretty durable.

Yeah, but this isn't about the comparison. It's about the M-100 (I guess it's mostly about this particular V-Moda model) being sonically overrated. The design is outstanding, but this discussion focuses on sound.

...but when my colleagues at work listened to them quite a lot of those beats fans LOVED the punchiness of the bloated bass. So for "bass heads" (for me still just an excuse) there might be more to them.

Westone UM2 and Sennheiser IE8 are phones that can easily be described as "for bass heads". And both have cleaner, more balanced, better quality bass than the M-100. Yes, they're IEMs, but again, this is about sound, not physical construction. Hell, from the very brief audition I had with Beats, I may say that even Beats have an overall more balanced sound than the M-100 - and I'm one that likes a colored sound signature over a so-called "neutral" one.

Of course, if you like the M-100, more power to you. It always comes down to finding what you like best :wink:

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 229
Living in NYC I've been able to listen to tons of headphones including:

-AKG K702/Q701
-Audeze LCD (2 or 3, I can't remember)
-Audio Technica ATH-M50(X)/ATH-ESW9A
-Bang & Olufsen H6
-Beats Solo/Studio/Pro/Mixr/Studio 2013
-Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro/DT 770/DT 880/DT 990/DT 1350
-Bowers & Wilkins P3/P5/P7
-Denon AH-D400 Urban Raver/AH-D7100 Music Maniac
-Focal Spirit One
-Fostex TR50p + Mods (Mad Dog w/ Alpha Pads/Thunderpants/Paradox)
-Grado SR60i/SR80i/SR125i/SR225i/SR325is/GS1000i
-HiFiMan HE-300/HE-400/HE-500
-Monster Diamond Tears/Inspiration
-Pioneer HDJ-1000/HDJ-1500/HDJ-2000
-Sennheiser HD25-1 ii/Amperior/Momentum/Momentum On-ear/HD 518/HD 558/HD 598/HD 600/HD 650/HD 700/HD 800/HD 8 DJ
-SMS Audio Sync by 50
-Sony MDR-V6/MDR-7506/MDR-1RNC/MDR-10R/MDR-MA900/MDR-X10/MDR-ZX700
-Stax SR-009
-Ultrasone (can't remember which model, but two different ones.)
-V-MODA Crossfade LP/Crossfade LP2/Crossfade M-80/Crossfade M-100
-Yamaha Pro 300/Pro 400/Pro 500

Most of my time with these cans were anywhere between 5-15 minutes, or the length of a song or two. For sources I used my Samsung Infuse 4g w/Voodoo Sound hack, Samsung Galaxy Note w/Viper4Android hack, and for amping I used a cMoyBB v2.03 and a FiiO E17. Music files ranged from 256k mp3s to FLAC. Not every can had the benefit of an amp, so some of my impressions with them aren't true to their potential. Many of the summit-fi models I heard at a meet, so they had tube amps and all sorts of fun stuff feeding them. Before I continue, I must say that my headphone needs are that of a busy city pedestrian so beyond sound quality, things such as a microphone for taking calls, comfort, isolation, portability, and durability are the top concerns I have. I rarely do analytical listening in a quiet environment. With that out of the way, I prefer the sound the M-100 over most of the headphones I listed. The exceptions are:

Mad Dogs w/ Alpha Pads, HE-400, HD 598, HD 650, Pro 500, MDR-MA900

All of the summit-fi are off my list because the music choices I had while listening to them I was unfamiliar with and I didn't get a good sense of how they would sound with my music. Others, like the HE-500 and GS1000i, weren't properly amped, so I don't think my listen was a fair assessment. I don't know if any of this makes my impressions credible, but I like my M-100. It has everything I need in a headphone.

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 229
Not considerng myself an audiophile, but I very recently fell into the world of Head-Fi when I bought my new Iphone-5s.
Suprise, compared to when playing music on my old Iphone-4s, everything sounded "crap". I therefor decided to buy an Centrance Hifi-M8 portable amp, a high quality audio lightning cable and started listeing to music in FLAC. Need I say more, i got hooked in the pursuit of better portable sound and there is no turning back.
Now back to the question. On the move, I use mainly my B&W P7 for any music of acoustic nature, jazz, classical, rock.
Especially when I really "listen" to music.
But when I feel like just pumping pop music on the go, I felt they where lacking the bass and warmth.
So I did fall for the marketing, design and reviews for the V-moda M100 and made a purchase. I got them home and first impression, was "uncomfortable" but cool design. They had just the warm sound i wanted when "leisure" listning on pop music and LOADS of bass. I ordered the XL memory foam cushions and that made all the difference comfort wise.

Recently I did go and have a listen to the Audeze LCD-2's and of course,  big improvent and completly different soundstage from both the P7's and M100. BUT, I realized that depending on situation I prefer different headphones. It might even come down to a specific headphone is my preffered choise for a certain artists, record or song.
So, I dont consider there really is a correct sounding headphone (well of course there is....). It's personal choise and it might differ from day to day.,I love my M100's (some days)

Planning to buy the Audeze LCD-XC sooon........Might be getting a new lover.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 229
I bought an M-100 based off the excellent reviews it had all over the place, and was disappointed. I didn't keep it for long.

Know this - I own an Ultra-sone Pro 900 - which does cost more, but the M-100 frankly are just not very impressive.

I'm all about sound, especially when spending $250. After all, I don't see my headphones when I wear them, but i DO hear them. The treble bugged me the most, because it just wasn't present enough to reveal subtle detail in my tracks. Others I have talked to also noted a dislike for the treble. Bass and midrange were good, but nothing spectacular.

In the end, they just sounded "meh" to me. Better than average, sure, but nothing to blow my socks off. There are better options at the price point. 

People blown away by them seem to be new players to the hi-fi audio world. If the M-100 was the first expensive headphone I'd heard, I'm sure I would also be astonished by them, thinking they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. It takes time (and money!!) to develop the ear for high quality audio. Only after owning many headphones over a couple years am I beginning to develop the intuition for good vs great sound.

The differences are initially subtle, but grow more noticeable with experience.

And btw, I do realize the M-100 are geared more towards a portable solution than at home, stationary use. Sure, I love my D2000, but I wouldn't wear it out in public.

Well, I think IEM's are better for portable use than headphones. The Yamaha EPH-100 is my preferred choice, excellent sound with them. I don't see the appeal in portable headphones, IEM's are just less intrusive and offer better isolation while on the go.

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 229
Thanks for your words, TWerk. 

For what it's worth guys, I'm still *interested* in hearing the V-Moda's, I just thought... for $300 they don't look like much.  I figured they'd be batting in the $150 range. 

One thing:

Quote:

Well, I think IEM's are better for portable use than headphones. The Yamaha EPH-100 is my preferred choice, excellent sound with them. I don't see the appeal in portable headphones, IEM's are just less intrusive and offer better isolation while on the go.

Well, I'm all for IEMs on the go.. when they don't have those damn microphonics.  I understand the cheap ones almost always do.  Does the Yamaha have the same plague?

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #10 of 229
Sonically I don't think the M100 are worth more than $150 really, maybe less. They're not detailed at all, awful with female vocalist too. Of course, it's my opinion. M80 is more balanced overall, even some beats.

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 229
I think they are decent but not great. They are pretty dull in the mids and treble. They are pretty smooth sounding with no grain to the sound which I really like. The bass is excellent and is basically which makes these musical for me. They are not worth the price at all though!

There are cheaper headphones that do a better job i.e Denon D600, DT770, Mrspeakers Mad Dog!

What bugged me most about the M100 is being a gamer the soundstage is terrible! it's too narrow and congested. For Pop or any music that doesn't require soundstage and separation they are decent!

So pros

Balanced in the mids and highs
Boosted bass
Smooth
Sexy

Cons

Quality control issues with V moda
Cracking parts
Uncomfortable
No soundstage
not very music or detailed at times
Overpriced.

By the way I think they are exaggerated as a bass head phone. These are quite balanced to my ears with a boost in the bass. If you set bass reducer these actually become very balanced but it does expose the lack of musicality and dullness.

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 229
DJDREEM, great observations. I Agree with your Pros and Cons list. I had forgot to mention about the soundstage, and you are correct. For a headphone that brags about the sound stage being huge its the box, it's just disappointing. 

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #13 of 229

Well, I'm all for IEMs on the go.. when they don't have those damn microphonics.  I understand the cheap ones almost always do.  Does the Yamaha have the same plague?

I don't have any problem with that on the Yamaha's. They are really great little buds with a reasonable price tag, with good bass, mids and treble. Once I bought them, I stopped buying the multitude of IEM's that I was buying. I did get some comply tips which makes them get an even better seal if the stock tips aren't a perfect fit for you. Great choice!

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 229
So OP hasn't heard the M100s, but based on their appearances he thinks they're overpriced and overrated by people who haven't heard better headphones? There's an irony in that.

I've heard tons of high-end headphones and... the M100s are currently in 2nd place for me. That includes several open-back planar magnetics. 

Mar 29, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 229
  So OP hasn't heard the M100s, but based on their appearances he thinks they're overpriced and overrated by people who haven't heard better headphones? There's an irony in that.

I've heard tons of high-end headphones and... the M100s are currently in 2nd place for me. That includes several open-back planar magnetics. 

Second place? What's so great about its sound? Do you agree that the treble is weak and soundstage lacking for a $250 HP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back