Are the V-Modas overrated by people who don't have enough experience with headphones?
Jan 20, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #211 of 229
Ive been using a set of Sennheiser HD280 Pros for the last 5 years and I've been wanting a new pair of headphones lately to travel with. I am a musician and do appreciate good sound quality. I even refused to buy any iPods and went with irivers or cds instead.

So for the last week I've been researching headphones to try and make a good choice. With the glowing reviews and portability of the V Moda Crossfade M100s I went with them since Amazon had them at $216. 

Just got my pair of Vmoda Crossfade m100s in the mail and the first this I thought is What are with the reviews. These headphones aren't even close to being great. Insanely overrated! I tired them on an iPhone 5s, iRiver HP120 and a CD player. Side by side against the Sennheiser HD280s, adjusting the EQ to match them them as close as I could from each device. 

The Sennheiser HD280s are wayyyyyy more clear. Like another world of clarity compared to the M100's. In no way would I ever thought a pair of 6 year old $99 be as good, let alone a lot better. The sound coming from the M100 sounds super compressed to my ear. Sounds like a lot is missing. And the bass is wayyyy over the top, really muddy. They sound super colored to me. The Senn HD280 sound a lot more open and clear. They sound like they are playing a more accurate example of what the music is meant to be. In all honesty there is a big difference between the 2. Not good for the M100. I have to send these back. They honestly sound horrible for the money in my option. 

I dont understand the reviews. Is it just people that think that Beats are the most amazing thing ever crowd? 

Can anyone recommend a pair that are acutely "good"? I prefer over ear and they will be for at home and travel.

Thanks 

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #212 of 229
Ive been using a set of Sennheiser HD280 Pros for the last 5 years and I've been wanting a new pair of headphones lately to travel with. I am a musician and do appreciate good sound quality. I even refused to buy any iPods and went with irivers or cds instead.

So for the last week I've been researching headphones to try and make a good choice. With the glowing reviews and portability of the V Moda Crossfade M100s I went with them since Amazon had them at $216. 

Just got my pair of Vmoda Crossfade m100s in the mail and the first this I thought is What are with the reviews. These headphones aren't even close to being great. Insanely overrated! I tired them on an iPhone 5s, iRiver HP120 and a CD player. Side by side against the Sennheiser HD280s, adjusting the EQ to match them them as close as I could from each device. 

The Sennheiser HD280s are wayyyyyy more clear. Like another world of clarity compared to the M100's. In no way would I ever thought a pair of 6 year old $99 be as good, let alone a lot better. The sound coming from the M100 sounds super compressed to my ear. Sounds like a lot is missing. And the bass is wayyyy over the top, really muddy. They sound super colored to me. The Senn HD280 sound a lot more open and clear. They sound like they are playing a more accurate example of what the music is meant to be. In all honesty there is a big difference between the 2. Not good for the M100. I have to send these back. They honestly sound horrible for the money in my option. 

I dont understand the reviews. Is it just people that think that Beats are the most amazing thing ever crowd? 

Can anyone recommend a pair that are acutely "good"? I prefer over ear and they will be for at home and travel.

Thanks 

Oppo pm3, or B&W p5 series 2, p7....these last two are not so neutral

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #213 of 229
I own quite a few vmoda headphones and neutral and "hifi" they certainly are not, but they suit the styles of music I mostly listen to ...rock, electronic. I find cans which are very neutral to br a bit boring...eg kefm500

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #214 of 229
I own quite a few vmoda headphones and neutral and "hifi" they certainly are not, but they suit the styles of music I mostly listen to ...rock, electronic. I find cans which are very neutral to br a bit boring...eg kefm500

Happily for my m100's, and sadly for my m500's, I agree with you (although I must say, I do think the m500's are great).

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #215 of 229
I downloaded a FLAC album and switched my settings on my iMac to 96k / 24bit and ill give it to the M100s with this setup they sound better than the HD280s. The M100 doesnt sound as crushed down like they did with the other setups and the bass seemed to ease up but it could just be the album. London Grammar which doesnt seem bass heavy. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #216 of 229
I downloaded a FLAC album and switched my settings on my iMac to 96k / 24bit and ill give it to the M100s with this setup they sound better than the HD280s. The M100 doesnt sound as crushed down like they did with the other setups and the bass seemed to ease up but it could just be the album. London Grammar which doesnt seem bass heavy. 

I think the m100 are good and fun, for a more neutral sound I'll go with the akg k553pro and if you don't mind ope back you can try Phillips shp9500 or akg k612 pro I love the 612 and if I need more bass just turn on the basis boost in my e12 or change to the 7xx

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #217 of 229
Honestly, the main reason why I got the m100 was because of portability. I wanted a closed set of headphones that would be travel sized, and the m100 fits that criteria. 

Coming from the HE400i, the m100 definitely is lacking basically all around, but it works for me. The mids are recessed, but since I listen to mostly chillstep/EDM sorts, it works out for me. Bass is muddy unless I hook it up to my Schiit stack, but it doesn't bother me that much when I'm on the go.

The m100 is a bit overrated soundwise, but honestly, I don't think another other headphones can have both amazing portability and sound the m100 can provide. Even the Sennheiser momentums can't fold or fit in to the similar travel size the m100 can be.

The durability of the m100 is a big plus for me. One downside for me is the comfort. I've used them for a week now, and my ears still get sore after using it for a while. Even outfitted it with the XL pads, but it still gets hot and a bit uncomfortable after wearing it for a while. After a long session, I have to take a break.

Personally, I love my m100, and the combination of sound, portability, and durability is unlikely to be found in most other headphones within the $250 price range.

Jan 22, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #218 of 229
Tyle from Innerfidelity was quite positive about the m80, xs, and m100. I would suggest he has more "experience " and knowledge about headphones and audio than the OP (and most other members at Headfi). So my short answer to the thread title is "no".

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #219 of 229
Tyle from Innerfidelity was quite positive about the m80, xs, and m100. I would suggest he has more "experience " and knowledge about headphones and audio than the OP (and most other members at Headfi). So my short answer to the thread title is "no".

What are you talking about. This is a quote from him off that website. And his name is Spelled "Tyll".

"Audiophiles looking for faithful reproduction should look elsewhere for a full-sized sealed headphone (Sennheiser Momentum, Logitech UE6000), the M-100 simply not transparent. But there are plenty of audiophiles, both young and old, who want something fun for popular music, and these cans will satisfy that itch. I know I'll definitely be keeping the M-100 in heavy use for a slammin' good time when the mood strikes." Thats a nice way of saying they aren't great. 

"their measurements certainly weren't all that great"

Ill bet you V Moda gave them the pair to review, which means they are gonna hold back on criticism and highlight other areas. 

Put them on against a real pair of headphones and you will see the difference. Do a blind test. If you're into them because they are poplar and look cool so be it. They don't sound that good for the money. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #220 of 229
What are you talking about. This is a quote from him off that website. And his name is Spelled "Tyll".

"Audiophiles looking for faithful reproduction should look elsewhere for a full-sized sealed headphone (Sennheiser Momentum, Logitech UE6000), the M-100 simply not transparent. But there are plenty of audiophiles, both young and old, who want something fun for popular music, and these cans will satisfy that itch. I know I'll definitely be keeping the M-100 in heavy use for a slammin' good time when the mood strikes." Thats a nice way of saying they aren't great. 

"their measurements certainly weren't all that great"

Ill bet you V Moda gave them the pair to review, which means they are gonna hold back on criticism and highlight other areas. 

Put them on against a real pair of headphones and you will see the difference. Do a blind test. If you're into them because they are poplar and look cool so be it. They don't sound that good for the money. 

Yeah good. That's your opinion. That quote didn't sound exactly negative to me. Also have a look at his review of the m80 and xs. They made his "wall of fame" , I believe.
I've personally tried a lot of so called audiophile cans and I found the treble fatiguing and the bass fuzzy and indistinct . I personally find Sennheisers overrated. I've tried all the Momentums and they're boring as $#|¥ . I own the Amperior and they're in storage. I find the bass tighter on the m100. Fyi, there are a ton of headphones that don't measure well, but lots of listeners enjoy. Audio is all about opinion.

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #221 of 229
Yeah good. That's your opinion. That quote didn't sound exactly negative to me. Also have a look at his review of the m80 and xs. They made his "wall of fame" , I believe.
I've personally tried a lot of so called audiophile cans and I found the treble fatiguing and the bass fuzzy and indistinct . I personally find Sennheisers overrated. I've tried all the Momentums and they're boring as $#|¥ . I own the Amperior and they're in storage. I find the bass tighter on the m100. Fyi, there are a ton of headphones that don't measure well, but lots of listeners enjoy. Audio is all about opinion.

How is that my opinion. Look at the graph on their test. 

If its about the listeners opinion why are you quoting a reviewer and saying he is more trusted? Thats great that you like but they are not what they are billed to be. They are competing in the Beats category of headphones and should be sold as so. They are not audiophile headphones. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #222 of 229
How is that my opinion. Look at the graph on their test. 

If its about the listeners opinion why are you quoting a reviewer and saying he is more trusted? Thats great that you like but they are not what they are billed to be. They are competing in the Beats category of headphones and should be sold as so. They are not audiophile headphones. 

Your opinion about the vmodas is just that- yours. That's fine about the graph, I don't listen to graphs, I listen to headphones. I mentioned the reviewer because he DOES seem to know a lot about audio, and he was rather positive about them, thereby answering the thread title. If you want to be prejudiced against these cans because you're scared about their image, then that's just as bad as liking a can for their image. I never, ever said the vmodas were audiophile headphones. Neither does the thread title. If headphone makers only catered for traditional "audiophiles " then the hp market would be as boring as hell. As I mentioned earlier, ive listened to lots of "audiophile " headphones and I simply prefer a fun coloured sound. It suits the styles of music I listen to. Don't mistake your OPINIONS as absolutes.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #223 of 229
I don't know about "overrated" but apparently "highly rated" is a definite answer. I recently got my friend a pair of the XS headphones and he and his boss's son were blown away. "Love them" "awesome" "literally amazing" "so clear" "you can hear everything" etc. etc. I listened to them and liked them but was not blown away. I thought they were a very solid entry level headphone if you're into that type of sound signature/headphone style (especially at the price I got them - $119). There was nothing I found offensive about their sound (not exactly my style, but acceptable). I personally loved the build/look/design more than the sound. I also listened to the V-Moda M-100 and wasn't offended by their sound either, and I'm the exact opposite of a bass-head. The thing that offended me the most about the M-100 were the "hollowness" of the sound, which I'm going to guess is just a natural by-product of closed back headphones. Other than that, I thought they sounded really good in general (and I'm a massive Senn 600 fanboy now). disclaimer: I listened to the m-100s a long time ago BEFORE I got into Senns, so my opinion NOW may change if I hear them again. But at the time, I kind of knew what I liked in headphones regardless and was still not offended. (edit: i was definitely a newcomer to headphones during the m-100 period, and am still a relative newcomer in the XS period -- ie, now)

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #225 of 229
My girlfriend's Beat Solo 2's are a class above my M-80's. I was utterly shocked when I compared the two. Not sure how the M-100's compare to the $300 Beats.

I had the solo 2 but sold it. I personally found it ultra boring. It's funny even the salesman at the Apple store said he didn't like it either. I much preferred the Studio 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back