Are the V-Modas overrated by people who don't have enough experience with headphones?
Apr 2, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #136 of 229
Would you say these are good for metal? And they're not really revealing right?

When I demoed these for a few moments I was really surprised they pumped the amount of bass they did, without completely sounding like you're underwater.

I am not a metal listener (except for a couple of Quite Riot songs) so I really cant tell if they are good for that type of music, sorry. They are detailed but they are not harsh and too bright if that is what you are asking. I dislike bright ear piercing sounds. :)

Indeed that is exactly what I was trying to find in a headphone. Good amounts and quality of bass without killing everything else and that is what I found..at least to my ears.
Regards

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #137 of 229
  So they have no detail and they are muddy....I got a fix for you.

Because either you have muddy ears or you are just the usual lame troll...or you listened to loud music for too long. Stop the BS.

I've had them for months, and my CKN70 ($70) was more detailed to my ears, period. I lost a lot of details in treble, background sounds, female vocals emotion, back vocals disappeared, and stuff when I got the M-100... For $300, it was pretty disappointing. Momentum was so much better to me overall, at the same price range.

I'd take the M-100 for eletronic music and hip-hop, but that's it. They're great for that, best portable solution by far.. but not worth $150 for any other genre in my opinion, I'd take the M-80 for that.

That's my opinion.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #138 of 229
I've had them for months, and my CKN70 ($70) was more detailed to my ears, period. I lost a lot of details in treble, background sounds, female vocals emotion, back vocals disappeared, and stuff when I got the M-100... For $300, it was pretty disappointing. Momentum was so much better to me overall, at the same price range.

I'd take the M-100 for eletronic music and hip-hop, but that's it. They're great for that, best portable solution by far.. but not worth $150 for any other genre in my opinion, I'd take the M-80 for that.

That's my opinion.

The momentum sound so bland and boring. They also sounded muddy to me.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #139 of 229
Would you say these are good for metal? And they're not really revealing right?

When I demoed these for a few moments I was really surprised they pumped the amount of bass they did, without completely sounding like you're underwater

They're pretty good for metal because they sound driven. If you like the bass and drums in metal, you'll enjoy it; if you like guitar and cymbals, not so much. I could hardly hear the cymbals because the sound is so dark.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #140 of 229
I can't stress how important it is to demo headphones. I find it's very hard to make recommendations because so much about headphones are subjective.

I've auditioned the M100's and I love the sound. I own a pair of Vmoda M80's, which I enjoy, but I am hoping to upgrade to the M100's. Is it worth $300? No one can answer that but you. The SQ from one headphone to another is obviously a matter of preference. As the headphones get better & better (presumably but not always as you go up in price) the difference in quality diminishes.

I, for one, make many of my purchases when I find the right deal. If I'm getting ready to drop some hard earned cash, I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger on the $300 Vmoda's (I can NEVER find Vmodas discounted anywhere) when I can get a set of factory refurbed Momentum's from the Sennheiser website for $225.  Different SQ. Both great sounding headphones (to my ear). Even if I like the Vmodas more than the Senns (which may be true or not from day to day, depending what I'm listening to) are the worth the $75 more?
We'll see.

So here you have (at this point in time )10 pages full of different opinions about the V-modas. There have been mostly positive reviews (Amazon, Head-fi, InnerFidelity and plenty of other pros). However, it's extremely difficult to give you advice on how something sounds. If a picture is worth 1,000 words, a demo is worth 1,000 reviews. If you can, somehow, audition them, please do so. A head-fi meet, or whatever. if not, it'll always be a shot in the dark.

Good luck!

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #141 of 229
  I am not a metal listener (except for a couple of Quite Riot songs) so I really cant tell if they are good for that type of music, sorry. They are detailed but they are not harsh and too bright if that is what you are asking. I dislike bright ear piercing sounds. :)

Indeed that is exactly what I was trying to find in a headphone. Good amounts and quality of bass without killing everything else and that is what I found..at least to my ears.
Regards

I'm not a pure metal head, but @Zorrofox and @SomeGuyDude are metalheads who enjoy their clash and bangs.
The m100's love male vocals, and modern metal actually sounds a bit cold in the bass department. You'll definitely have fun with the m100's.

Although, do consider you might spend more money on XL pads if the original M100 stock pads don't fit your ears (they're small).

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #142 of 229
Bahaha, I'm sorry, but in my honest opinion, it seems like people are commenting in this thread that HAVEN'T. commented in the M-100 thread. Ergo, they know nothing about the M100 and probably listened to it for 2 minutes.
I have one M100, two LP2s, one XS.
Quite honestly you shouldn't comment on something you don't know very much about.

So! To the M100.
I agree they sound like a $200 headphone. Better than any other headphone in a general store marketed to dimwits who go buy the brand.
But... Did you account for the six star service? The MIL-STG build quality? The fact that anakchan threw his in a river and they still survived?
The vocals are good. The build quality is good.
If you don't like the sound, use an equaliser. The V-M M100s are good for equalising if you know how.

Lelele if you want to call the M100s overpriced, then look at Audeze. They look damn good, but you'd never listen to them obviously? Just look at the pictures.

Have an nice day :)
Apple used to sell the LP but they pulled it because of the 3-button mic. They're probably making a better one, shipping it back to Apple. This was 2 years ago though lol.
I do think m-100's looks add 100$ to the price, but I've found that akg makes 80$ cans that can compete with 400$ cans. (k240)

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #143 of 229
I like them. They're my go-to headphones whenever I leave the house. They're comfortable and secure on the head. Are they neutral? They're a million miles from neutral, lol. Are they audiophile headphones? Nope, not by the strict definition of the word. They're fun though. I listen to metal quite a lot and they're damn good at it. They're designed for fun listening. Using an EQ can be useful, I certainly do.

It never fails me how anyone can hate something like a pair of headphones. It's laughable.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #144 of 229
People that own a product and completely disregard people's opinions only accepting positive.

I've owned the M100 since release and while I enjoy them they have more negatives then positives. I absolutely love the mellow tone, strong bass and clean sound. I dislike the boring dull mids and highs and tiny soundstage, issues with build and bad comfort.

These are weird in the sense these are brassy but laid back and dull it's trying to be two things at once.

These are a better version of the Momentum to me.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #146 of 229
No way. Try a Sony MDR-V6 and Q701 before you say crisp and clear. Its veiled (very warm) sounding.

momentums are not warm at all they are a crystal clear punchy sparkly sound nothing warm about them at all in any way what so ever

you confusing them with another can ? and why are you comparing them to open cans ?

Momentums were a very bright sparkly sound to my ears

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #147 of 229
I'm in agreement with a lot of people here. V-Moda definitely has its niche and fills it well; I can't really think of another ultra-portable $300 headphone that can do EDM and hip hop as well as the M100, but it's kind of hard to justify that unless you're constantly on the move, mostly listen to those genres, and want more bass than an IEM in a similar price bracket can give. I got rid of mine after a few weeks because they just sounded congested to me, but they have a peak in the treble that makes it sound fatiguing to me. I have an XS coming in either today or tomorrow and I'll definitely chime in on that.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #148 of 229
momentums are not warm at all they are a crystal clear punchy sparkly sound nothing warm about them at all in any way what so ever

you confusing them with another can ? and why are you comparing them to open cans ?

Momentums were a very bright sparkly sound to my ears

The Momentum is definitely warm, veiled and congested.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #149 of 229
I tried the Momentums before buying the M's. I thought they sounded crap. Not coloured mind, I was looking for coloured, just boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back