Are the V-Moda M-80s fun?
Dec 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Linsanity

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for a set of new headphones and the M-80s fit perfectly into what I'm looking for - portable, sharp looks, accessories, detachable cable, build quality, phenomenal sound... however I want them to be fun sounding, and looking at reviews I have only seen the word "fun" been used to describe the sound signature only a few times. How do these compare to the Miles Davis Tributes - as I love the sound of those but it's quite difficult for me to retain a good seal with those and requires fiddling with them for a solid 3-4 minutes.

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I've been looking for a set of new headphones and the M-80s fit perfectly into what I'm looking for - portable, sharp looks, accessories, detachable cable, build quality, phenomenal sound... however I want them to be fun sounding, and looking at reviews I have only seen the word "fun" been used to describe the sound signature only a few times. How do these compare to the Miles Davis Tributes - as I love the sound of those but it's quite difficult for me to retain a good seal with those and requires fiddling with them for a solid 3-4 minutes.

They are a flaming pile of fun on a stick for me. Depends on what you perceive to be fun though. Bass-wise, they will be slightly emphasized, definitely not nearly as much as the Tributes though. Midrange will be warm and smooth, again, not to the extent of the Tributes. Treble is soft and and laid-back on both, not much of a departure.

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
They are a flaming pile of fun on a stick for me. Depends on what you perceive to be fun though. Bass-wise, they will be slightly emphasized, definitely not nearly as much as the Tributes though. Midrange will be warm and smooth, again, not to the extent of the Tributes. Treble is soft and and laid-back on both, not much of a departure.

Would you say that they respond well to an EQ for a bass boost for those times I listen to Hip-Hop or watch movies with them? Or would you recommend buying an amp such as the FiiO E11?

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Would you say that they respond well to an EQ for a bass boost for those times I listen to Hip-Hop or watch movies with them? Or would you recommend buying an amp such as the FiiO E11?

Wouldn't know about the EQ, but they sound fine off of either the E11 or the iPod. I'd say to try your luck with the EQ instead of buying something for such an easily-powered portable can.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 6
Fun? I would think so. Both the HD-25 and M-80 is considered to be fun sounding headphones in my books. The M-80 is however a little more polite sounding while the HD-25 is more in-you-face. The Beyer Custom One Pro is also a good alternative, so good that I sold my HD-25 for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back