Are the Shure SCL4's exceptional or just mediocre regardless of their new low price?
Dec 21, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the SLC4 be a significant upgrade from an old Shure E3C?

Yes, definitely and the 4 is like the 3 with more bass.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #18 of 36
And more detail. Way more detail.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the SCL4 were SCL3 with more bass.

To my ears, the SCL3's bass has a bit more of a presence over the bass presence of the SCL4's. But the SCL4's mid's and hi's (mostly the hi's) are a bit more pronounced over the SCL3's, which I think takes away from the bass presence of the SCL4's.

For me, the SCL3's are better balanced and are more "fun" across a wider range of music, from rock to classical. The SCL4's have exceptional mid's and hi's and I believe are better suited for classical, jazz, vocal music.

That is why I ordered both pair. They both have their strong points for different music. Both are excellent especially at these unbelievable prices.

Either way you can't go wrong.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #20 of 36
So now I am certifiably off the deep end. I own the X10s, modded im716s, Nu-Force E7s (bought out of curiosity) and a pair of Westone 3s ($400 MSRP), and yet I could not resist picking up a pair of these SCL4s. Never owned Shures, so I figured why not? I have already owned and sold/returned SA6s, SF5s v2, ER4P/S, Atrio M5s, PK1/2/3, OK3 and several other cheaper phones. I am a sick person. Worst case, I can give them to someone as a gift.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So now I am certifiably off the deep end. I own the X10s, modded im716s, Nu-Force E7s (bought out of curiosity) and a pair of Westone 3s ($400 MSRP), and yet I could not resist picking up a pair of these SCL4s. Never owned Shures, so I figured why not? I have already owned and sold/returned SA6s, SF5s v2, ER4P/S, Atrio M5s, PK1/2/3, OK3 and several other cheaper phones. I am a sick person. Worst case, I can give them to someone as a gift.

I am curious how you compare the x10, E7, and SCL4 (or at least the X10 and E7 for now).

Dec 27, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say if you have the spare cash, you're a moron not to buy these at $80.

Even if you don't want to listen to them, you could wait a few months and sell them off at a great profit. Since white won't be sold anymore, and white is the color of choice for Apple products, a white SCL4 will be definitely worth something about 6-12 months from now to someone who likes to keep with Apple's white-only color scheme.

X2
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #24 of 36
I received my SCL4's on X-Mas eve. I could not pass up the price. My first ever pair of IEM's were E2C's, which I did NOT like one bit, and had paid over $100.00 for them at the time.

Now the SCL4's, are incredibly small and incredibly comfortable. The sound is very balanced / neutral. These are a great deal at their price. I would have never paid retail price to be honest, but at around $50-$125, you can't pass these up for a portable solution.

Dec 27, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #25 of 36
i got the e4c , the bass is tight but sometimes anemic IMO. good for jazz , but not for hiphop,rap , and bass-heavy music

i hope they will improve the bass on SCL4S

Dec 27, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While I have not gone completely off the deep end, I did the same thing.

Having just purchased the Westone 3's, and still owning a pair of Atrios M5's, I couldn't pass up the deal on the SCL4's. So while I evaluate my new W3's, I wait patiently for the Shure SCL4's to arrive.
I do have to admit I am curious to hear the signature Shure sound that so many here at Headfi are in love with.

Now, I can only hope and pray (for my wallet's sake) that there are no fantastic deals on iems after the holidays that I just can't refuse!

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #27 of 36
See my post on the W3 tip thread about using the FS large foamie with the W3s. Wow, for me, it's the killer sleeve. My SCL4s won't be shipping for awhile, if at all, since they are a backorder item. We'll see I even get them.

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #28 of 36
for bass-heavy music, you can go for 5pro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOUGHN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got the e4c , the bass is tight but sometimes anemic IMO. good for jazz , but not for hiphop,rap , and bass-heavy music

i hope they will improve the bass on SCL4S

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #29 of 36
Can anyone comment on whether the SCL4s would be suitable as in-ear monitors for a 4 string electric bass player? My feeling would be no but I'd like to hear opinions. I'm interested to know if it can reproduce the bass without farting or clicking on the attack. Thanks.

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am curious how you compare the x10, E7, and SCL4 (or at least the X10 and E7 for now).

Well, the X10s are so comfortable, I use the larger bi-flange gels, that no phones can touch them for comfort/SQ ratio. The E7s are nice phones, for $50 very good sound. But I can't say I would sell my X10s and use the E7s. Just not happening.

And afraid I can't help you with he SCL4 comparo, as my common sense kicked in, and after listening to the wonderful AL im716s amped, I realized I will never beat their neutral, high/mid-focused Ety sound. So why bother with the SCL4s? I canceled the order. As I have posted in the past, I paid $20 for the 716s new (newegg sale) and $20 for the mod. Now that's tough to beat. So for now, I am sticking with my little stable of IEMs/portables, the X10s, W3s, 716s, E7s, Pk3s, Ksc75s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back