Are the Shure SCL4's exceptional or just mediocre regardless of their new low price?
Dec 20, 2008 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

neoufo51

500+ Head-Fier
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these $80 white versions so somebody please let me know if this is any better than the Denon C700 or Atrio M5, which are headphones I have previously owned. I'm guessing the bass on the SCL4's doesn't compare to the two I've mentioned, but is the overall SQ as good or better?

PS...I'm using Marshmallows right now and I'm looking for an option that doesn't break the bank since I still can't bring myself to spend over $150 on a pair of IEM's.

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 36
In mids and highs, it blows away my NE-7M and has a better mid and low than my ER6i. That is assuming the E4C is the same as the SCL4

edit: Maybe not blow away, but they seem clearer with a more easily distinguished sound stage.

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 36
I'd say if you have the spare cash, you're a moron not to buy these at $80.

Even if you don't want to listen to them, you could wait a few months and sell them off at a great profit. Since white won't be sold anymore, and white is the color of choice for Apple products, a white SCL4 will be definitely worth something about 6-12 months from now to someone who likes to keep with Apple's white-only color scheme.

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In mids and highs, it blows away my NE-7M and has a better mid and low than my ER6i. That is assuming the E4C is the same as the SCL4

edit: Maybe not blow away, but they seem clearer with a more easily distinguished sound stage.

The SCL4 has much better clarity and accuracy than the NE-7m. The soundstage is more accurate and transparent.

The NE-7m has a lot more bass. Personally I find the bass not very accurate as it tends to smear the mids and highs and sounds a little bloated. If you like lots mid-bass/bass get the NE-7M. Accuracy and soundstage don't matter when working out. The NE-7m have a more fun sound signature that some prefer.

If you are really looking for a great deal get the SCL4. If you like the Marshmallows sound signature you'll find the SCL4 thin sounding and the NE-7m would be closer to what you want.

Dec 20, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 36
E4 was the first premium IEM I owned that really blew me away. They are great IEM's. Owned two pairs. Great balance and detail. I preferred them over ER4P due to a little fuller sound but still great detail and clarity.

Dec 20, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 36
Does anybody know if I can get the SCL4s in Canada with this discount? I really want to get in on this deal.

Dec 21, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brood_Star /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GC doesn't ship to Canada?

damn.

For guitarcenter.com when I try to check out they only show USA and FPO/APO for country. As for musiciansfriend.com they say they will not ship the SCL4 to Canada. This sucks!

Dec 21, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 36
They are ok. Rolled off high, slightly recessed bass and less detail than ER6.
and like most shure, they have good vocal. They are just not for me
rolleyes.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm...I probably wouldn't like them very much then. Guess I'll stick with my marshmallows until I can find a good IEM that isolates well and doesn't sound thin to my ears

I have marshallows v2. I can compare the scl4 to them when I get my shures next month

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm...I probably wouldn't like them very much then. Guess I'll stick with my marshmallows until I can find a good IEM that isolates well and doesn't sound thin to my ears

While they may not be considered a bass phone, my e4c's are far from thin sounding....to my ears. I think they're pretty well-balanced across the freq spectrum & ~semi-decent IEMs for their usual price range. But at $80, they are a downright bargain.

Dec 21, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #13 of 36
The trick with the SCL4 is to find the right tip. I tried the medium olive foamies but the best ones for me seem to be the one bigger than the small silicon tip. That brought out the bass and made the mids an highs even better.

Also my iPhone 3G doesn't do it justice. They sound good but when using my macbook pro they are fantastic. They seem to reveal differences in the source quite a bit.

The SCL4 are very well balanced and very accurate. At $80 they are more than a bargain they are a steal. When I mentioned the marshmallow comparison I meant if you like over exaggerated bass you won't like these. The bass on these is very accurate which a lot of people find lacking.

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want a better bass response then the SCL4's with nice mid's, give the SCL3's a try. At $60, it is also a great buy. I ordered a pair of both.
dt880smile.png

I thought the SCL4 were SCL3 with more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back