Are the Sennheisers HD598's worth the money?
Feb 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #77 of 82
just to put my 2 cents into this thread about eh HD558 vs HD598 foam modding etc debate. i have the HD558 and i modded it in quite a number of ways, (removed foam from the grill, removed the 'transparent' lining from the earcup, and stuffed a bit of cotton into the back of the earcup. now the the difference between the modded HD558 and the stock HD598 is that the HD598 is very slightly clearer than the HD558, thats about it. of course the difference is much bigger if both of them are stock.
soundstage on both of them are spendid btw

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #78 of 82
HD-598 is a bit lacking in the area below 70 hertz (subbass). However, it has plenty of midbass and upperbass, clearly obvious from the piano tracks I listen to. 

The HD-598 has noticeably more clarity in the midrange than the HD-595. Clearly, people who have found only subtle differences between the two were not able to distinguish between these in details. Timbre is also drastically improved, and the easiest way to test this difference is by listening to classical tracks. It's probably due to the grills. Comfort is improved as well. Clamps less and has more cushion on the headband. 

I've read a long time ago a statement from a Sennheiser official that the 595 uses a different driver from the 5x8 series. And it is unlikely that Sennheiser created another HD555 fiasco again. What the hell would have been the point of creating two new headphones with the same driver? 

Of course, the HD-595 is the better value. Honestly, the difference between a HD-650 and HD-595 is not one-sided. The HD-595 (or any of the 5xx series) have a far superior soundstage and imaging performance than the 6xx series. And I always found the lack of treble on the HD-650 to make it less of an all-arounder than any of the 5xx series. The HD-600 on the other hand have better bass impact than the 5xx series but I found it less involving in the midrange and as I mentioned before, a worse soundstage. Not to mention it costs substantially more than a HD-595. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #79 of 82
Quote:
The HD-595 (or any of the 5xx series) have a far superior soundstage and imaging performance than the 6xx series. And I always found the lack of treble on the HD-650 to make it less of an all-arounder than any of the 5xx series. The HD-600 on the other hand have better bass impact than the 5xx series but I found it less involving in the midrange and as I mentioned before, a worse soundstage. Not to mention it costs substantially more than a HD-595. 

Just a different viewpoint - from an HD600 owner who extensively compared the two side-by-side before making my choice ....

Agree that the HD598 has far better / wider soundstage - but disagree on the imaging.  Imaging on HD600 (IMO) is definitely a step above - and more realistic also.  Agree on your comments on bass also - I've often wondered if the difference between the 598 and 600's impact is due to the small notch between about 80-120 Hz (where the 598 dips) - see graph:

The funny thing about our different perceptions regarding mid-range ...... I personally found the HD598 could be sometimes grainy in the treble and upper mids - whereas the HD600 is very smooth.  And while I agree the HD598 does sound more forward (perhaps because of the treble peak?) - the mid-range on the HD600 is far more believable and natural to me.

IMO the HD600 is well worth the money (compared to HD598) - but that does not discount that the 598 is a very comfortable, and very good sounding headphone.  Either are winners in my book.  I do strongly suggest to try both side by side before making any purchase decisions though :)

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #80 of 82
Quote:

Just a different viewpoint - from an HD600 owner who extensively compared the two side-by-side before making my choice ....

Agree that the HD598 has far better / wider soundstage - but disagree on the imaging.  Imaging on HD600 (IMO) is definitely a step above - and more realistic also.  Agree on your comments on bass also - I've often wondered if the difference between the 598 and 600's impact is due to the small notch between about 80-120 Hz (where the 598 dips) - see graph:

The funny thing about our different perceptions regarding mid-range ...... I personally found the HD598 could be sometimes grainy in the treble and upper mids - whereas the HD600 is very smooth.  And while I agree the HD598 does sound more forward (perhaps because of the treble peak?) - the mid-range on the HD600 is far more believable and natural to me.

IMO the HD600 is well worth the money (compared to HD598) - but that does not discount that the 598 is a very comfortable, and very good sounding headphone.  Either are winners in my book.  I do strongly suggest to try both side by side before making any purchase decisions though :)

I would have to disagree with you on the imaging. But I'd agree with you on the upper mids. They are smooth but I can see how people may find the upper mid of the HD598 to be a bit too forward. Of course this isn't always a bad thing, the same way a boosted bass isn't always unappealing, but it is not a neutral frequency response. If the upper mids were very slightly toned down by 2-3 decibels, it would sound fantastic. Overall, the HD600 were a bit boring for me - probably the most common complaint- but it does have notable advantages over the HD598. As for the HD650, I could not recommend those at all. The HD600 and HD598 are simply superior to me imo. 

May 17, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #81 of 82
Turns out I got an OK price on 598 so am now qualified to comment on dif between 595 and 598. I also happen to have KSC75 sitting right here beside me too so know for a fact you are FOS.
Anyway, dif between 595 and 598 is a subtle difference and nothing massive so all those claiming 598 are way better than 595 are also FOS. 598 are slighty better (clearer bass) but not worth the upgrade price if one already owns 595. I shoulda held out for HD650 IMO.

So...in conclusion,

the best bang per buck would be the HD555... below $100 nowadays
Foam mod it to get it up to HD595
and the difference between that and the $250 HD598 is tiny...

Less than $100 is better than $250

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #82 of 82
This thread has been very useful. I always wanted to hear the HD-558 since it has more upper mids than my HD-598.
Instead of buying the 558 I tried to mod the 598. Took a small strip of adhesive backed foam and re-created the 558 foam.
Since the grills are different, the mod won't really make the 598 a clone unless I actually have a 558 and can compare them.

So far it sounds much warmer and closed in with the foam installed. Actually very warm, but not congested or anything. Really smooth sounding.

I wonder if the 558 is warmer than the 598? Can't really tell on graphs.

The airiness and large soundstage is almost gone, but it's not that bad.

EDIT: WAAAAAY too warm and way too smooth (is that possible?). Going to try a smaller strip of that foam.
It is kind of nice and sounds more like a closed headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back