Are the Sennheiser MX 880s for me? Or portable headphones?
May 14, 2010 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Hung0702

Head-Fier
My beloved PK3s have finally broken. The right bud goes in and out, depending on the cable position. Many positions used to work, then a few very precise positions; but now, no positions work for the right. Luckily the left bud still works!

Anyway, I'm in the market for some open-air audio gear. I already have RE0s, so no IEMs. Any ear buds that are good values? I'm interested in fun, warm buds that are suitable for movies and relaxed listening. I've been looking at Sennheisers because of their low impedances. I like the MX 880, but I haven't seen enough reviews to tell if they're better than OK3/PK2 for this purpose. I'd like a smooth response, with forward mids and strong bass impact. Soundstage should be adequate for movies/games. Treble... well, I'm use to the RE0s, but I can be a little more lenient in this range. Vocals absolutely need to be natural, as I'll be using these for Skype and listening to lectures.

I've also considered the 660s, but purely from an economical standpoint. I hate the volume control and both, but recabling isn't out of the question.

Regarding the PK3s: no complaints. Boomy bass and warm mids are what I loved about them. I guess I could get another pair, but why not try something different? The CM700 are obviously out of the question. Portable headphones are possible. I've been looking at the Denon D1001, but I'd need a pretty compelling argument. The Dynamat and foam mods appear to significantly refine the quality, but ear buds are unbelievably convenient. Maybe I should get the 660s + D1001s? Haha, that'd be a dream.

May 14, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 16
Does no one here listen to ear buds? I like IEMs and all, it's just that at the same price point, portable headphones and ear buds usually beat the pants off of any IEM. If the RE0s didn't sell at $80, my last review would have been of the OK2.

May 14, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 16
Well, I'd like to help, but I haven't heard the MX880.  However, I do own the MX660, and I can say that they're somewhat bassy with a slight midrange recession.  Since you want more forward mids, the MX660 probably isn't the best choice.  The MX580, which more or less replaces the MX660, may be more preferable since it has a more mid-forward sound; its treble response and extension is pretty good, and its bass is tight and accurate but definitely not what I'd call overly abundant.  Unfortunately, it too has a volume controller.

Also, if you're looking at the D1001, I'd also take a look at the Creative Aurvana Live! which is virtually the same headphone but can usually be found at a cheaper price.

Not sure if any of this is helpful but I didn't want to leave a fellow earbud lover hanging.
wink.gif

May 14, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 16
For portable headphones, I love my PX200-II. If someone is looking at the CAL!, the D1001, ATH-M50, and ATH-FC700A might also give a run for their money.

If i had to pick between Senn's earbuds, I would pick the MX580, a good all-rounder. However, I wouldn't want volume control on earbuds...

May 14, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
Well, I'd like to help, but I haven't heard the MX880.  However, I do own the MX660, and I can say that they're somewhat bassy with a slight midrange recession.  Since you want more forward mids, the MX660 probably isn't the best choice.  The MX580, which more or less replaces the MX660, may be more preferable since it has a more mid-forward sound; its treble response and extension is pretty good, and its bass is tight and accurate but definitely not what I'd call overly abundant.  Unfortunately, it too has a volume controller.

Also, if you're looking at the D1001, I'd also take a look at the Creative Aurvana Live! which is virtually the same headphone but can usually be found at a cheaper price.

Not sure if any of this is helpful but I didn't want to leave a fellow earbud lover hanging.
wink.gif

Firstly, ear buds are total win. Thus, you are a winner.

I had no idea that the CALs were the same as the D1001s. I did some searching, and they use the same driver from OEM Foster.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/353941/recabling-denon-ah-d1001-d1000
http://vr-zone.com/articles/creative-aurvana-live-/5497.html?doc=5497

Only the housing is different. I'm scrapping my idea about the D1001s. If anything, the CAL (half the price) should suffice. Minor acoustic differences due to the housings are just that: minor.

Quote:
For portable headphones, I love my PX200-II. If someone is looking at the CAL!, the D1001, ATH-M50, and ATH-FC700A might also give a run for their money.

If i had to pick between Senn's earbuds, I would pick the MX580, a good all-rounder. However, I wouldn't want volume control on earbuds...

The M50s review well, at least in terms of sound quality. I've been looking at the PX200 for the same reason I'm wary of the M50: comfort. I don't think the FC700s are in the range of quality I'm shopping for.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

AAAHHHH, now I really can't decide which buds to get. I want to get a Sennheiser bud, but the attenuators completely kill it for me. My previous open-mindedness about recabling has shrunk. The audio quality would COMPLETELY change unless I assembled a similar attenuator. The problem is twofold at that point: (1) I'm not spending more than $10 to mod $30-70 ear phones; (2) Sennheiser provides far too little technical data on the new MX line. I might just get another pair of PK3s :p

If I don't go the way of buds, then the CAL is my definitive choice. Still trying to figure out if head phones would be too inconvenient for me.

May 16, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 16
There's a few earbuds that Senn has to offer in their 2010 headphones catalog that I have with me now.

- MX 980
- MX 880
- MX 580 (& 581)
- MX 470 (& 471)
- MX 370 (&371)
- MX 270 (&271)

And of course, Senn always rates the higher number the better one (can be misleading at times), in this case the 980.

May 17, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 16
Check out this link:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491833/yuin-pk1-three-strikes-yuin-is-out-i-ll-never-buy-from-them-again/15

You should ask swfbcheater, since he had tried all the yuin, and I guess it's including the PK3, see if you have the same opinion on the PK3 with him, then u might be able to use his review of MX 580 or MX 880 for your reference...

May 18, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
My beloved PK3s have finally broken. The right bud goes in and out, depending on the cable position. Many positions used to work, then a few very precise positions; but now, no positions work for the right. Luckily the left bud still works!

Anyway, I'm in the market for some open-air audio gear. I already have RE0s, so no IEMs. Any ear buds that are good values? I'm interested in fun, warm buds that are suitable for movies and relaxed listening. I've been looking at Sennheisers because of their low impedances. I like the MX 880, but I haven't seen enough reviews to tell if they're better than OK3/PK2 for this purpose. I'd like a smooth response, with forward mids and strong bass impact. Soundstage should be adequate for movies/games. Treble... well, I'm use to the RE0s, but I can be a little more lenient in this range. Vocals absolutely need to be natural, as I'll be using these for Skype and listening to lectures.

I've also considered the 660s, but purely from an economical standpoint. I hate the volume control and both, but recabling isn't out of the question.

Regarding the PK3s: no complaints. Boomy bass and warm mids are what I loved about them. I guess I could get another pair, but why not try something different? The CM700 are obviously out of the question. Portable headphones are possible. I've been looking at the Denon D1001, but I'd need a pretty compelling argument. The Dynamat and foam mods appear to significantly refine the quality, but ear buds are unbelievably convenient. Maybe I should get the 660s + D1001s? Haha, that'd be a dream.

Don't worry about the volume control on the Sennheisers. I am absolutely no friend of volume controls on earbuds but they don't reduce sound quality you will get from Sennheisers MX series. And if you don't use the volume control you will be happy for many years with your earbuds.

I think the MX 580, MX 581 or MX 880 could be your choice.
MX 880 has perfect neutral human voices and this is what you told you are looking for.
They are not really mid forward but also not reduced in mids.
I would say they have pretty neutral mids and this is most important for neutral and natural human voices in my opinion. And as long as bass and highs are not too strong you should be quite happy with neutral mids.

Give the MX 580 or MX 880 a try, I think you will not regret.

May 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 16
My PK3 also went out with the left ear sounding a lot quieter than the right.  I loved the PK3's sound, but didn't want to get another pair to have it go out in a few months again (mine just sits at office cubicle.)

I'm also interested in replacing with another budget, but decent pair of ear buds and looked at the MX470 & MX580.  I can't decided between them also.  MX470's are ~$20 vs. MX580's ~$30, but I also don't like having the volume control too (aside from that it "weighs" the buds down making ear buds falling out of my ears more easily).

At least now with more buds coming from Sennheiser, it just means there's more options!  =)

May 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 16
Check out this link:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491833/yuin-pk1-three-strikes-yuin-is-out-i-ll-never-buy-from-them-again/15

You should ask swfbcheater, since he had tried all the yuin, and I guess it's including the PK3, see if you have the same opinion on the PK3 with him, then u might be able to use his review of MX 580 or MX 880 for your reference...

Yup, I was one of the 18 PMs he received!

Don't worry about the volume control on the Sennheisers. I am absolutely no friend of volume controls on earbuds but they don't reduce sound quality you will get from Sennheisers MX series. And if you don't use the volume control you will be happy for many years with your earbuds.

I think the MX 580, MX 581 or MX 880 could be your choice.
MX 880 has perfect neutral human voices and this is what you told you are looking for.
They are not really mid forward but also not reduced in mids.
I would say they have pretty neutral mids and this is most important for neutral and natural human voices in my opinion. And as long as bass and highs are not too strong you should be quite happy with neutral mids.

Give the MX 580 or MX 880 a try, I think you will not regret.

Well, it's not that I think that attenuator would degrade audio quality, it's just that I don't want a block of plastic/metal in the middle of my cord. If I were to recable them, I would need to include an attenuator to match the electrical properties of the stock cable. But since Sennheiser won't tell me more about the volume control (and I don't have any gear to gauge the volume control), then recabling them is a gamble since I won't know what kind of sound results.

My PK3 also went out with the left ear sounding a lot quieter than the right.  I loved the PK3's sound, but didn't want to get another pair to have it go out in a few months again (mine just sits at office cubicle.)

I'm also interested in replacing with another budget, but decent pair of ear buds and looked at the MX470 & MX580.  I can't decided between them also.  MX470's are ~$20 vs. MX580's ~$30, but I also don't like having the volume control too (aside from that it "weighs" the buds down making ear buds falling out of my ears more easily).

At least now with more buds coming from Sennheiser, it just means there's more options!  =)

If you get ANY MX buds, give me a PM! I'm still on the fence about what buds to buy!

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #11 of 16
well got them today the mx880 and wow THEY SUCK BALLS  DAMN even my sony earbuds of 13 euro sounds better and has got much better bass WOW  and that for 40 euro while the sony are 13 euro i will never ever get any sennheiser again in my life hate that company and the volume isn't loud at all my sony's go way louder very weird........

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #12 of 16
^^Could you tell us how you really feel about the 880? 
confused_face_2.gif

I have the 580 and I think they are pretty decent buds.  They have good treble and nice forward mids.  They leave a lot on the table (or off the table) in the bass department though.  My main issue with the 580 is the fit.  The housing is fairly large, probably the same or just a tad larger than the PK2.  But the reason they don't fit like my PK2's is the form factor.  There is a straight tube coming off the housing to the cable, whereas the PK2 has a more curved shape that forms to the canal and outer part of your ear.  I ended up giving my 580's to one of my kids because I just could not get them to stay in.  I have been interested in the 880 as well.  I haven't found an earbud yet that I like more than my PK2 and that includes my old pair of PK1's.  I do wish that the PK2 had more thump, but I guess you just can't have everything. 

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #14 of 16
I've also had the PK3 and currently have the older MX-760, but never heard the 880.  The 760 is much more "normal" sounding than the 660 (I listen to them almost every night falling asleep), laid back like the PK3, but less mid-centered than the PK3 -- PK3 was too mid-centered for my tastes.  The only bad thing about the 760 is the stupid cable configuration of a 1 foot cable and a 2 foot extension, adding unnecessary weight to the whole thing.

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 16
well i listen to tech-house and rap mostly and the mx880 just does not have enough punch in them like the sony does  the bass was very weak and neither the mids and highs could satisfy me...was listening on my creative x-fi style that is and the volume was way too weak the sony's where better in everything in my opinion.
I know that most head fi-ers are not a big fan of the cheap sony's but i still have to find a pair that is better then them in volume and in sound.....and i will only buy sony music players cause creative are not all that always had sony and was always satisfied....
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back