Are the Sennheiser HD595s still among the top choices for entry-level hi-fi cans?
Oct 17, 2010 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

thenightman

Head-Fier
I've tried my hand at many different IEMs and for some reason, I can never get used to sticking those things in my ear. Plus, the sound quality just wasn't cutting it (and I had the MTPC!).

So now I'm looking to get me some full sized headphones. Ideally they'll sound and feel better than IEMs (which they should).

My many searching sessions have now led me to believe that the Sennheiser HD595s are a very good choice for the newbies to this field. Factors that made me conclude this are the numerous recommendations, the claims of there not being any need to get an amp, and its relatively inexpensive cost.

But the only problem is that most of these recommendations and posts I find are from at least 2 or so years ago. Has the playing field changed since then? 

I'm basically looking to get a pair of high sound quality headphones to pair up with my Sony Walkman X. And I won't be using an amp, either. I listen to pretty much every genre too. Will the Walkman be able to drive this sufficiently without an amp? Are these headphones a good choice for my setup?

Thanks.

Edit: I should add that I'll be using them for listening to music only, so no gaming or watching movies for me even though I read so many good things about its performance in those areas.

Oct 17, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 16
I consider them to be great entry level cans, yes.

They're quite neutral sounding though, so if you're a fan of boosted bass and treble, then you'll need to EQ them.  However, they're very clear and resolving for their price.

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 16
Supposedly the 555s have the same drivers as the 595s, and can be modded to have a soundstage as good as the 595s correct?

I would do that if this is true.

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 16
Have you looked at the Sony MDR V6? Also, what kind of music would you be using these for mostly?

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Supposedly the 555s have the same drivers as the 595s, and can be modded to have a soundstage as good as the 595s correct?

I would do that if this is true.

I think the only difference between stock 555 and stock 595 is the bass and a little bit of soundstage. Once the foam is removed they are the same thing. You can further increase the soundstage with another mod.

Oct 18, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
I think the only difference between stock 555 and stock 595 is the bass and a little bit of soundstage. Once the foam is removed they are the same thing. You can further increase the soundstage with another mod.

Removing foam and modding?  Is this about cash or time and shoe-horning one into sounding like the other?

I guess the OP needs to make his pick.  But interesting info anyway....

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 16
Ive had a pair of 595's for about 4 years now, im happy with them still but when i first bought them and was just running them off my ipod i was rather unimpressed and didnt really feel like they were that much of a step up from my previous hd280 pros. It wasnt until i got a decent amp that i actually heard how i feel like they are supposed to sound, just my $.02.

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #13 of 16
Using my computer with the audigy 2 sound card, the 555s had very very weak bass.  i would love to hear them amped.

Oct 19, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
Using my computer with the audigy 2 sound card, the 555s had very very weak bass.  i would love to hear them amped.

Depending on what your idea of good bass is, then you may well be underwhelmed even with them amp'd.

Many cans are actually bass heavy... making for a new standard in what's light bass vs what good bass.

If you use a D5000, ATH M50, D770, or even a Grado and then come to the 595's, you'll find them bass shy.  After the D5000's, they'll seem very bass shy. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Ive had a pair of 595's for about 4 years now, im happy with them still but when i first bought them and was just running them off my ipod i was rather unimpressed and didnt really feel like they were that much of a step up from my previous hd280 pros. It wasnt until i got a decent amp that i actually heard how i feel like they are supposed to sound, just my $.02.

Pretty much my experience. I've just upgraded to the xonar stx and it feels like my babies have stepped up a gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back