Are the Senn HD555 good for gaming?
Jul 27, 2010 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

mralexosborn

Headphoneus Supremus
This (soon to be) hobby will be the death of me. Ugh.

Well, I am ordering the UE SuperFi 5vi's soon. I need something to put on my wish list.
I need something for gaming and music. The latter is more important to me, so I think I will be going the Senn HD555. I know the AD700's are superior as far as gaming is concerned but they lack bass. 
So the questions are as follows:

1. Is the Sennheiser HD555 good with gaming? (as far as soundstaging/positioning is concerned)
2. How comfortable is the HD555?
3. Should I also get the JVC HARX700 as a complement for the HD555 (for gaming)?
4. Are there any alternatives to the Senn HD555? (I need a good all around headphone that sounds good with all genres. Decent with gaming. Under $100. And decent bass.)

Thank you. You guys are very helpful. I appreciate it. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 32
1. Very good. Soundstage is one of their strengths, but its not as large as the AD700/k701.
2. It extremely light and has a soft velour headband to match the soft ear pads. Don't think you will ever hear anyone complain about comfort with the 555.
3. One gaming phone should be enough.
4. The 555 is your best bet in this price range for your needs. The next headphone up from the 555/AD700 for gaming would be one of the Beyerdynamics.

Just so your expectations are not misguided, the 555 is not a bass monster. I would consider it probably the least amount I need. It is tight and somewhat impactful which is nice for rock.

Quote:
This (soon to be) hobby will be the death of me. Ugh.

Well, I am ordering the UE SuperFi 5vi's soon. I need something to put on my wish list.
I need something for gaming and music. The latter is more important to me, so I think I will be going the Senn HD555. I know the AD700's are superior as far as gaming is concerned but they lack bass. 
So the questions are as follows:

1. Is the Sennheiser HD555 good with gaming? (as far as soundstaging/positioning is concerned)
2. How comfortable is the HD555?
3. Should I also get the JVC HARX700 as a complement for the HD555 (for gaming)?
4. Are there any alternatives to the Senn HD555? (I need a good all around headphone that sounds good with all genres. Decent with gaming. Under $100. And decent bass.)

Thank you. You guys are very helpful. I appreciate it. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 32
The fact that you had the AD700 but kept the HD555 gives me hope in my future purchase. 
atsmile.gif

I just thought the HD555 had some bass since there weren't many complaints. It doesn't matter though. I have started to grow fond of balanced sound. And even my bass lacking SE110 can successfully be EQ'ed. 
Next on my wishlist is the Asus Xonar DS. 

Also since I am now starting this as my "hobby" what is the next step? An amp? If so what amp should I get. I am 14 so don't recommend anything >$200. $100-$150 is what I am willing to spend. 

How does the HD555 compare to the M50? 

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 32
If you don't have a job, (I've recently got a job, a godsend. I'm 17), then you should be happy and satisfied with what you have. Log off this website and never turn back until you have money in your wallet. Don't even think of lurking.

Just kidding. I'd recommend getting an amp under a hundred, then investing in something ">$200" later down the road if your interest in this hobby still burns. Look up cMoy's, specifically the JDS version that can be attained on eBay. I've met a few headfi-ers and audio enthusiasts who all agreed that such a small amp was worth it's value (70 I think?). It will provide an extra bass and mids that the 555 lack. Plus, it's an Altoids box, received plenty of positive comments from my friend as well as extra credit from my physics teacher for owning one.
biggrin.gif

Save the money for better headphones.

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 32
Totally different phones. The 555 has better mids and soundstage. Comfort is better but the m50 is still comfortable. The m50 is more "fun" sounding. As for an amp, a fiios or cmoy would work but not necessary for the 555 especially if you are mostly gaming.

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 32
1. YESSSS. They will say about you that you have wallhack, at least that they said about me with these hp.
2.SUPER comfi, i wear them 10 hours a day, i don't mind them at all.
3.don't know those hps, but probably not.
4.if you are a bass head/lover i think you must look at something else. but probably out of your price range.

PS. Don't forget to mod them after you buy them, it's childsplay easy and you need only a screwdriver. So much better after it.

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 32
Jul 28, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 32
1. Is the HD555 considered audiophile headphones around here (for a beginner)?
2. By complement I meant something that is the opposite. Closed, a little more bass, etc. What headphone would complement the HD555? Price: About $150 or less around here (used or new)
3. Should I get an amp for the HD555 or just get a new sound card for the time being?

@asrphani Since you have both the SRH440 and the HD555, could you please compare them as far as how they sound? :)

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #13 of 32
OH MY GOD! Headphones are not the easiest thing to make a decision from. 

I came across this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/494990/poll-ad700-vs-hd555
The general consensus was that the AD700 was better SQ and gaming-wise. Also it appears to be cheaper and more comfortable (according to reviews).
Also I found these: the DT440. Evidently it is the opinion of others on here they are better than the HD595! And they are still only $100!

So please help me, guide me. I need help and guidance! 
basshead.gif

AD700 vs. HD555 vs. DT440 vs M50 vs SRH440

Artists I listen to: Eminem, Metallica, Gnarls Barkley, Aerosmith, Guster, Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix, Public Enemy, NWA, John Coltrane, Mozart, Chuck Berry, Rob Zombie, Nine Inch Nails, Beatles, Kings of Leon (and a hell of a lot more).
So as you can see it needs to sound good all throughout the spectrum.

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #14 of 32
AD700 if you want open. M50 if you want closed. All IMHO, YMMV, etc. etc. insert more disclaimers here. Buy one and let your ears be the judge, if you don't like them return them or sell them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back