Are the RE-0s a must buy at the $99 price point?
Sep 4, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #16 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromacro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally fell in love with my RE-0. My ears definitely needed adjusting coming off of cheap boomy bass IEM's I used before. If you want warm/exciting sound sig these aren't for you. I find the RE-0 excellent for jazz/classical/acoustic/rock music. Instrument separation is superb and the clarity is astonishing.

I feel the same way. At first, I thought these lacked bass.. then once I adjusted to the signature, I absolutely loved it. The clarity and detail of the highs/mids + instrument separation blows my mind every single time, and there's no sibilance either! I don't even mind the "lack" of bass anymore, I think it's the perfect amount for the RE0 since everything is so well balanced.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #17 of 60
After over a month of having RE0's, I too have adjusted and started liking them more. HOWEVER, I still find the bass a bit lackng. Whenever I go back to lower-end IEMS, I really miss the bass that they have

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #18 of 60
I have the MS-1i and the RE0. The RE0 is not quite the rock phone the MS-1i is, but they easily hang with the MS-1i, and best the MS-1i in several respects, as they should at a normal retail price of nearly 2x the MS-1i.

The RE0 is about equal to the Shure E3c in terms of detail and bass response -- high on details, even/balanced bass (i.e., not boomy or overly full -- but accurate). The Shure E4c is a bit fuller, warmer in the bass, but they are up in the 2-3x price of the RE0 at $99.

I've also tried the AT-CK7 for just under $100, but they were way too cold (very recessed in the mids) and analytical for me.

The RE0 is a super deal at $99.

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #19 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RE0 is about equal to the Shure E3c in terms of detail and bass response -- high on details, even/balanced bass (i.e., not boomy or overly full -- but accurate). The Shure E4c is a bit fuller, warmer in the bass, but they are up in the 2-3x price of the RE0 at $99.

I find it odd that you should say that. For me, the RE0 is still the IEM to buy even if the pricing situation were reversed - i.e. if the RE0 was $300 and the E4c was $99. I auditioned the SE310 at length and owned the E4 (same as E4c) for a while. I found both of the Shures severely rolled off at the upper reaches and lacking in detail at the bottom. The E4 has a lot more bass, but I'll take quality over quantity any day (Why yes, I do love Etys). Yes, the E4 is warmer and more forward in the midrange, creating an illusion of fullness, but IMO it's just that - an illusion. In the end, I guess it comes down to personal preference, but I can't see myself bothering with another Shure product short of the SE530.

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #21 of 60
Quote:

The RE0 is about equal to the Shure E3c in terms of detail and bass response.

Bass response, may be (RE0 is still better IMO, but not vastly); But definitely not equal in term of detail. If one thing E3c can be recognized of, it will be its lack of detail. Perhaps you mean E4c instead? Anyway, I haven't heard E4c myself. But since I find RE0 to better than SE530 on detail, I guess it is not a hard guess in regard to E4c.

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #22 of 60
The RE0 has pretty much turned me off IEMs, at least in terms of wanting to move up to more expensive in-ears like the SuperFi. Yes, I can appreciate the detail that these phones are capable of retrieving, particularly at their price point, but consider this:

- I find almost every pair of fullsize cans I own to be more engaging/exciting/involving
- I enjoy the bass impact from my Sony IEMs, and they were half the price of the RE0 here in Oz.

Dismiss me as a basshead/headbanger (guilty), but I believe several others in this thread have alluded to the lack of bass and the fact that they have had to work hard to like the RE0. I am also of the opinion that some of my music is probably not up to a pair of headphones as analytical as the RE0 - all in all, I wouldnt buy them again for exactly the same reason that I wouldnt buy the K701 : uber detail isnt my first priority in a headphone. The other thing I found is that it can be a real pain trying to get replacement tips on them.

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #23 of 60
Every IEM has its own sound signature - if you don't like the way RE0 sounds then it probably is pointless to buy/own one. The important thing is to figure out what kind of sound signature is what you'll enjoy before spending the money.

Head-Direct does sell replacement tips though, plus the nozzle size is fairly common (same as Sony's, AT's, V-moda, etc) so you can use other companies' eartips

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #24 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass response, may be (RE0 is still better IMO, but not vastly); But definitely not equal in term of detail. If one thing E3c can be recognized of, it will be its lack of detail. Perhaps you mean E4c instead? Anyway, I haven't heard E4c myself. But since I find RE0 to better than SE530 on detail, I guess it is not a hard guess in regard to E4c.

Well, TBH, I was going n my memory of the E3c from having it a couple of months ago. At the time, I was impressed with the detail of it, but didn't have anything above to compare it with. The E4c I heard for 20 minutes last week, from a co-worker who uses it for as a stage IEM with his brass band. But I didn't have my RE0 with me to A/B them. So, I'll stand corrected on RE0 vs E4c detail comparison!

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #25 of 60
Well, I know I don't like over analytical headphones, and soundstage is not my main concern. I didn't enjoy the DT-880s even though I could hear every detail it seemed to have no soul. The AKG K-501s were good for jazz/classical but I felt detached from the music when listening to rock/acoustic.

I'm also not a basshead, I might just try out the RE-0s and if I don't like them then I'll just return them or sell them on here. Or... I could wait on those lower end Grado IEMs.. hmm decisions.. decisions..

Sep 5, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #27 of 60
Quote:

The RE0 is about equal to the Shure E3c in terms of detail and bass response -- high on details, even/balanced bass (i.e., not boomy or overly full -- but accurate).

erm in quantity bass wise they are similar bus the quality on the RE-0 is a big step up from the E3c, ER4 level of quality

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #29 of 60
I loved my re0, i had to send mine back because the case split and now it seems my replacement is lost in the mail - gonna email head-direct if they're not here today. I realize how much I like them now that I don't have them and have to go back to my PL30. They made the music so more dynamic and exciting.

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #30 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if I love my RE2, what will I think of the RE0?

Good thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back