Are the RE-0s a must buy at the $99 price point?
Sep 7, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #32 of 60
For me anyway, I think the RE0 at $99 is pretty significant. It's a paradigm shift. I now have very little reason to ever give my money to an established, "first-world" headphone maker ever again, and I feel like my other purchases were just silly.

Allow me to consider the phones I have bought in the last two years: the Sony EX90, d-Jays, the Apple in-ear. The EX90 is a hallmark if you're just comparing within Sony, and I was confused as to where its absolute sound quality lies at first. But after two years I can tell you, I think it's not worth the money. Not $100 and not even $60. That's a premium you pay for the Sony lettering that wears off after the first year.

The d-Jays for me cost as much as the RE0+shipping, the cable was hopelessly stiff (and the driver itself being so light, this means it's impossible to wear over the ear), and it promptly broke after 7-8 months of gentle handling. The gray cable relief on my Apple in-ear came off on their own after 7 months of careful handling. And the sound overall really just makes me say "so what" when I compare it to single-armature phones in the same price ballpark, like the SHE9850. None of these are particularly durable just because they're aesthetically not knock-offs.

To my ears the RE0 has a lot of resolution, but is at the same time also more musical than any of the three above, i.e. music is enjoyable, the "groove" is there, it's not sterile at all. I managed to find the bass I want somewhere after 60-70 hours of burn-in. These qualities are a lot like my 7-year old ER-4S, and I think to be able to deliver both means it's a good rank above the other phones that normally go for $100 US.

So my praise for the RE0 has probably turned into a rant on other phones, but thanks to ClieOS and everyone for introducing me to the $99 wonder
smile_phones.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #33 of 60
After reading a 33 page thread on the RE-0s I pulled the trigger on the RE-0s. I figure I can't lose really, they are on sale, they have a 30 day refund policy and a 1 year replacement warranty. Here's hoping that everything goes well and that I will enjoy them, as my first real pair of IEMs.

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #34 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RE0 has pretty much turned me off IEMs, at least in terms of wanting to move up to more expensive in-ears like the SuperFi. Yes, I can appreciate the detail that these phones are capable of retrieving, particularly at their price point, but consider this:

- I find almost every pair of fullsize cans I own to be more engaging/exciting/involving
- I enjoy the bass impact from my Sony IEMs, and they were half the price of the RE0 here in Oz.

This is what we call a "bad fit." It's when you buy a product that is good but does not fit your personal preference and goals. The RE0 is subtle, not exciting. The RE0 has good bass extension bit is light on the bottom end. You already have a specific idea of what you want, and some of these things the RE0 simply can't give you. The RE0 doesn't fit your "ideal," and this means it will sound bad, well not correct. There isn't much you can do about this other then buying a product that actually is a better fit, a product you will be much more satisfied with.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #35 of 60
At 99usd, as of today they are a good purchase and of similar value as Altec iM716. The new cable also makes the RE0 much easier to use on the go.

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ifmy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since RE0 has small bass ... is it good for rock/ metal?
smily_headphones1.gif

IMO yes. Rock/Metal is 70% of my music library and I like them just fine for it. I had a long listening session last night before going to sleep and was again stricken by how good the detail is across the entire frequency spectrum, even down below.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #39 of 60
i've been curious about those cables.

Do they make them significantly more durable over plastic/rubber insulated cables? are they stronger near the weak points where loose contacts tend to develop in others?

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #41 of 60
I'm thinking of purchasing one of these pups as my throw arounds. I'm a bit hesitant of wearing the UM3xs at Newark.

I wonder how it fares against the Phonaks.

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #42 of 60
Some bad news. Well it could be good. Just pulled the trigger on a set of W3's after just short of 2 happy months with the RE0. I'm at an early stage of adjusting to the new sound and in no way in position to make critical comparisons. But my initial impression is as such: while the bass/mid range for the W3 is far more engaging and has a lot more weight, the clarity and instrument separation on the RE0 is just uncomparable. I'm currently burning the W3's still to see if there will be any improvement. But all i know is that I will most DEFINITELY be keeping the RE0 for other genres of music. They are superb for the price.

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of purchasing one of these pups as my throw arounds. I'm a bit hesitant of wearing the UM3xs at Newark.

I wonder how it fares against the Phonaks.

I posted some initial impressions in the RE0 thread. My phonaks have the dark filters in them for reference.

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #44 of 60
I have had these for about 3 weeks now. In addition to the exceptional clarity and definition of these iems, the bass really begins to open up as time goes on, so you can definetly hear the down low rumble.

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #45 of 60
Hey guys, great forum, this is my first post!

I am just now going to be buying my first set of nice headphones. I was debating the RE-0 vs the klipsch image S4. Any opinions on the sound quality difference between the two?

Thanks guys!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back