Are the HF-2/650/701 the Headphone Trinity?
Nov 28, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #31 of 69
Hmmm... By "tire of them" do you guys mean ear fatigue, or comfort/fit? Or both?

After listening to them for ten or so hours now, I think I can see how that could be the case. But I've built up a bit of a tolerance. I used to spend hours a day walking with the 325is, ears getting destroyed, not knowing any better.

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #32 of 69
Bah, I only had the HD 650 and HF2 concurrently. I sold the HD 650 recently so the chances of me having the trinity in the original post concurrently in the future are quite slim, though I've been interested in acquiring a K 702 for quite some time now (especially since they're the most affordable of the three). I do believe the HD 650 and HF2 are excellent complements to one another, as I found myself putting on the 650s for classical, electronic, and trip-hop and sticking to the HF2 for jazz, rock, and hip-hop.

But in all honesty the 13s do them many notches better at everything.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #33 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bah, I only had the HD 650 and HF2 concurrently. I sold the HD 650 recently so the chances of me having the trinity in the original post concurrently in the future are quite slim, though I've been interested in acquiring a K 702 for quite some time now (especially since they're the most affordable of the three). I do believe the HD 650 and HF2 are excellent complements to one another, as I found myself putting on the 650s for classical, electronic, and trip-hop and sticking to the HF2 for jazz, rock, and hip-hop.

But in all honesty the 13s do them many notches better at everything.
evil_smiley.gif

I think the 701 removes some of the color the HF-2 and the veil of the 650 and, to me, works well with the both of them. Even if I forget the different genres of music, I feel I use one 'phone or another depending on my mood.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #34 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all!

It's taken me a little over a year since becoming a member of Head-Fi and I now have three of arguably the better fullsized headphones available (okay, okay, okay under $1000) in the Grado HF-2, the AKG K-701 and the Sennheiser HD 650. Certainly they would be on anyone's short list.

Amazingly all three are incredible headphones. Each one does something so completely different. Each sound so individual while still capturing the essence of the music and it's intent. Each one truly is an outstanding representation for listening to music.

I really like the Senn a lot more than I thought I would. The AKG is the detail king and the Grado is just a monster. In a good way.

At this level of headphones is really hard for anyone to go terribly wrong with any of them.

After I've had more time with the 650 and can extensively compare them with my HF-2 and 701, I want to write a review covering what I think of as three terrific headphones.

Thanks,

Ross

Ross, interesting concept -- "the headphone trinity." I hadn't thought of 'phone collections in this way, but it underscores the fact that most of us have more than one set for a reason: one 'phone can't possibly meet all our needs.

I agree with you. The HD650, K701, and HF2 do form a trinity. For the price range, they are, in my opinion, ideal references for an audiophile who enjoys a wide range of music and who also goes back and forth between analytical and musical moods.

I own and use all three, too, and like the diversity that they provide. Among the three, I consider the HD650 as the best all-around and muscular; the K701 as the most neutral and winsome; the HF2 as the most musical and dynamic.

With these three, I think you have an audiophile trinity.

Nov 29, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #35 of 69
boo... no DT880/600 in this convo....

Tried the HD600, HD650, K701 and tbh, my DT880/600 beats all of them.
the DT880 is more neutral sounding than the K701 tbh and tbh the most neutral sounding out of all of them.

graphCompare.php

I'm a fanboi of the DT880/600 for a reason, that being there's so much discussion on the K701 and HD600/650 being the 'reference' and best sounding cans in this price range when tbh, they aren't at all. Of course as you know, the graph 'truely' starts at the second line, the 20Hz mark. The DT880/600 is well regarded to be the best sounding out of all the DT880's and is the best headphone Beyerdynamic produces, apart from the upcoming T1. Decrease the treble line a tad and increase slightly a bit on the bass frequencies and you'll get close to the DT880/600 frequency response. Remember of course that the ideal line is not linear and that tbh, a +2dB response on the bass frequencies = neutral.

A distinct lack of DT880 or Beyerdynamic talk in these kind of convos annoys me.

Nov 29, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ross:

I would omit the DT880s, I found them rather metallic with uncontrolled bass. They were not in the same league as the other three. I would add the RS1s for you to try...they are my favourites in the Grado lineup.

Have you listened to all versions of the DT880 (including the 600 ohm version, which is noticeably better than the other versions) and compared various music genres?
Not to mention amp synergy issues.... (*cough* HD650, K701 *cough*)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...thread-429371/

But of course the K701, HD600, HD650 are the most popular mid-fi headphones out there.....
It doesn't mean they're the best...no mention of Ultrasone either.....

Nov 30, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #38 of 69
The HF-2, 701 and the 650 represent headphones that are within the reach that many people or audiophiles can afford. Even to the degree that they can be owned together.

The AKG and Senn certainly have been the reference can for many. The HF-2 can be mentioned in the same breath with the other two.

The 880 has been discussed several times in this thread. There are a few issues I have with that. There are three different choices of the 880 first of all. From what I've read they each have a different sound signature. So which one is the proper choice? Also, especially the 600ohm version, it IS very amp dependent. Probably even more so than the 701 or 650. Both of which I've been able to match with the Headroom Micro Amp. And I'm hoping all three will marry well with the Gilmore Lite I'm looking to get (stacked with the DacMagic).

I have no experience with the 880, and I've read some very positive things. And there are others in that price range I haven't mentioned also. As I said before, it's just not practical for me to own all of them at once to compare with each other. Plus having to own all the amps I'd need to drive them for their specific needs.

Having a trinity of headphones like the Grado HF-2, the Sennheiser 650, and the AKG K-701 makes sense based on each of their strengths and where they each differ. Yes it's just my opinion, but hey it's not a bad trio.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peace,

Ross

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #39 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, especially the 600ohm version, it IS very amp dependent. Probably even more so than the 701 or 650.

It's only (as with ANY high-ohmage headphone) amp dependent based on the power of the amp. It's not amp dependant based on other factors such as amp sneregy and amp sound signature, which is much of of a pain in the ass to deal with, like the K701 and HD650 (or even HD600 for that matter). If you don't get the right amp for the K701, it sounds brittle and thin. If you do don't the right amp for the HD650/HD600, you get the 'Sennheiser veil'. You can get any amp for the DT880, the only factor is if you're underpowering it or not. That's the difference. Also the DT880/600 is only $320 (from Moon-Audio / Headphone Solutions) so price isn't an issue here....

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #40 of 69
I've considered getting a HD600 w/Cardas cable to go with the K701/RS-1. They are indeed the Swiss army knifes of headphones for SE systems.

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #41 of 69
yeah! why 'trinity' when there is 'quadruple-ty' (K701,HD650,HF-2,DT880)
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #42 of 69
Really, pretty much every member here has their favorite cans, but I'd rather have HF-2, ATH-AD2000, and HD600. I compared the K701's to the ATH-AD2000's this summer and I was really baffled at how the AT's bested the AKG's in pretty much every way possible. Then again, they are very expensive headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah! why 'trinity' when there is 'quadruple-ty' (K701,HD650,HF-2,DT880)
tongue.gif

My thoughts exactly! I think everyone can tack on a DT880, because when they sound good, they sound great, but you need other headphones to pair with them.

My headphone trinity? PS-1, Orpheus, HP-1.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #43 of 69
I can't say the HD650 and the 701 do much for me, having heard both of them at a meet this year. My Trinity would definitely include the HF-2, ESW10JPN...and I'll one day find the third piece
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #44 of 69
Orpheus can't be Trinity because it is an evil.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back