Are the HD580 Jubilee better than the HD600?
Mar 14, 2024 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HDGabe5636

New Head-Fier
My HD600 died today so I was looking into getting a replacement HD600 but I was wondering If the rare HD580 Jubilee (1995) sounds better? I heard that the Jubilee is flatter and more clear than the HD600 but I've never heard them myself. Also, the jubilees are one of the best looking set of cans I've seen.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 9
I've had both, the Jubilee has the "Sennheiser veil" from the thick foam lining for the cups which can be replaced. They don't need as much power, but also they don't resolve details like 600. They're tuned differently, more of a warm tone and not neutral like you're used to. Acoustics and vocals can sound nice on the HD580 but overall you'll feel it's a downgrade. The HD600 is one of my all time favorites, even used ones keep their value compared to many others. The HD700 is more comfortable, the Hifiman HE5xx is a terrific planar magnetic that's similar if you want to try those. The HD6xx is similar to the HD650 at dramatically lower cost sometimes on eBay.
I'd stick with the HD600 unless you want to try something new or a different sound. The Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohm is similar in price to an HD580 and really fun (also more comfortable).

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 9
Dunring I appreciate the recommendations, Since you have had personal experience with the HD580J is all the mumbo jumbo about special tuned & matched drivers and carbon fiber real or marketing? Also My HD600s were modded with the copper ring mod so I’m open to a different sound than the stock 600.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 9
Please describe your musical tastes and equipment, and of course budget and other headphones/speakers you have liked or not liked, and what you are looking for. Will this be a do everything single can or part of a collection where you have other aspects of sound covered?

It's difficult and chancy to ask people for recommendations - because they tend to recommend what they like - I've done it myself, it's natural. Bit more info will help.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 9
Please describe your musical tastes and equipment, and of course budget and other headphones/speakers you have liked or not liked, and what you are looking for. Will this be a do everything single can or part of a collection where you have other aspects of sound covered?

It's difficult and chancy to ask people for recommendations - because they tend to recommend what they like - I've done it myself, it's natural. Bit more info will help.
I like a mixture of electronic, jazz & soundtracks with some rock and pop sometimes. I made this post because I always wanted to try the jubilee’s but since I owned some 600’s I never bothered to find and buy them but since my 600’s died I decided to make this post to ask if the HD580 jubilee was more true to the source than the HD600. I’m not interested in other headphones at the moment I just want to compare these two.

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 9
I like a mixture of electronic, jazz & soundtracks with some rock and pop sometimes. I made this post because I always wanted to try the jubilee’s but since I owned some 600’s I never bothered to find and buy them but since my 600’s died I decided to make this post to ask if the HD580 jubilee was more true to the source than the HD600. I’m not interested in other headphones at the moment I just want to compare these two.
I see. Sorry can't help with that comparison.

Mar 15, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 9
Mar 23, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 9
There is very little on the internet or Headfi about these headphones. Very hard to find or purchase and much more expensive than a HD580, HD600 or HD650.

I would say the HD580 Jubilee is more true to the source than the HD580, HD600 or HD650. It just gets out of the way. The 2nd version of the HD580 (flat plate) is less analytical but still gold.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-sennheiser-hd580-impressions-thread.130309/page-123

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-sennheiser-hd580-impressions-thread.130309/page-122

So the HD580 jubilee are like a mixture of a 600 & 650 with grey grills and a carbon fiber paint job?
Not how I would describe one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back