Are the HD 25-1 IIs worth the upgrade?
Nov 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

PshPowPow

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone :)
I am thinking of getting a headphone upgrade. I already have the AKG K518LE, which is my standard portable pair, and the Sennheiser HD 408, which I use at home. 
I am looking for something I can use both at home, and when I'm walking around. I want it to isolate me from backround noise, as I don't like when my music gets interrupted. 
I don't want it to be really large, as I am going to use it in public. Price limit: 250 dollars. I have currently been looking at the Sennheiser hd 25-1 II. Do you think that is a good choice? Also: I listen to rock, alternative rock, pop and sometimes dubstep.
Thanks in advance :D

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
Hello everyone :)
I am thinking of getting a headphone upgrade. I already have the AKG K518LE, which is my standard portable pair, and the Sennheiser HD 408, which I use at home. 
I am looking for something I can use both at home, and when I'm walking around. I want it to isolate me from backround noise, as I don't like when my music gets interrupted. 
I don't want it to be really large, as I am going to use it in public. Price limit: 250 dollars. I have currently been looking at the Sennheiser hd 25-1 II. Do you think that is a good choice?
Thanks in advance :D

I recently bought a pair of HD 25-1 ii. They are excellent portable headphones, and they block out background noise like a champ. I use them on the bus, and at a decent level I can't hear a thing around me.

Plus they're light and have a very solid understated design. When I let people use them they always seem to think that these are cheap headphones due to the lack of flash, but they sound good enough that most people understand why they cost what they do.

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
Does anyone here have the opportunity to compare the K518 to the HD 25-1 II? Is the HD 25-1 II worth the upgrade?

I've heard both in the shops and could directly compare the two. In terms of build/design they do basically the same thing - on-ear closed-back street headphones.

In terms of sound the AKG is the clear winner for me. The Sennheiser (adidas version) just had recessed mids, piercing treble (and I'm a Grado lover) and I couldn't believe it's price to performance ratio - IMO it's a massively over rated headphone and I'm still confused at how often people readily recommend it on these forums. The AKG on the other hand is just more relaxed, has a more balanced tonality and therefore able to perform a wider range of genres. 
The Sennheiser does dig up more detail, but at what cost? 

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 12
I got to try the HD 25-1 IIs today. The guy in the shop took one right out of its box, so it hadn't been used, I assume. I didn't compare them to the K518s side by side, but the only difference I noticed when I tried the K518s later was that some things on the HD 25s sounded "closer" to my ear. Are the K518s and the HD 25s really equally good, or was it just that the ones I tried hadn't been burned in? (I have had the K518s for a while)

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 12
From memory the HD25 has a massively 'present' sound to everything, specifically the treble. The mids sounded slightly recessed to me. 

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #9 of 12
I have not compared it to the AKG phones you speak of, but for the genres you listed, I think the hd25 would be a great match.  I really enjoy the punchy bass, and great isolation.  I was able to stretch out the headband a bit, so comfort is getting better as well.  It's just a great portable set.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 12
Keep the K518LE, its an excellent headphone. Mod it a bit and its just as good as the HD25-1 II

Take out the middle foam of the AKG pads, open them up and blu-tak the cups, bass becomes a lot more controlled.

you can also get HD25 velour pads to make the AKG more comfy.

If you want you can also recable them :)

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 12
I actually own both and can honestly say that the hd 25 ii is an upgrade over the K518LE in terms of sound (detail, extension and bass clarity). Comfortwise, they both clamp equally hard but both can be adjusted (K518's headband can be stretched over a stack of books, while the senn has a split headband which can be adjusted) For Rock and Electronic music, the hd25ii wins over the k518, but as someone mentioned before, the k518 is the better all-rounder with a much better price to performance ratio. If you have the upgrade bug thoug, take a look at these. At the current price of $165, you will be hard pressed to find anything that looks and sound this amazing 
L3000.gif

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for the help everyone 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I actually own both and can honestly say that the hd 25 ii is an upgrade over the K518LE in terms of sound (detail, extension and bass clarity). Comfortwise, they both clamp equally hard but both can be adjusted (K518's headband can be stretched over a stack of books, while the senn has a split headband which can be adjusted) For Rock and Electronic music, the hd25ii wins over the k518, but as someone mentioned before, the k518 is the better all-rounder with a much better price to performance ratio. If you have the upgrade bug thoug, take a look at these. At the current price of $165, you will be hard pressed to find anything that looks and sound this amazing 
L3000.gif

If I want the V-modas, I will have to buy them from abroad, which I think will make them cost about the same as the HD25-1 IIs. Do they sound in comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back