Are the Ety ER-4Ps Really That Isolating?
Feb 17, 2011 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

caliskimmer

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I ordered a pair off of Amazon because I saw the rave reviews for the isolation. I've been using many different types of earphones like the CK10s and the Westone UM3x. However, these don't isolate enough for the airplane, so I have to use the Bose QuietComfort 15s for the airplane: great noise-canceling, but horrid sound quality. Well, I heard the Etys can isolate even further without making one feel claustrophobic due to the noise-canceling technology as opposed to noise-isolating technology. So, my question is if these actually live up to the hype for isolation purposes?

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 31
Yes they are; it depends on what tips you use though. If you use the included gray foam tips that are cyllindrically(sp) shaped and a little stiff, you can get amazing isolation.

Those are the only tips I used because of the isolation and comfort they provided. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 31
With music playing through them, I guarantee it. I just got off the plane a few days ago and my newly acquired ER4 was what I brought with me this time around. Didn't hear a single thing from that extremely noisy plane ride with them and my iPod on.

I used the triple flange tips though, as those provided me the most comfort. The foam tips are a little too "suffocating" for my ears to like. Again, all based one's preferences and the shape of their ear canals.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 31
My ears don't work with anything large, but luckily, these are pretty narrow and small IEMs work like a charm for me! I'm eager to get them now since maybe I can finally get great isolation and great sound in one package :wink:

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 31
I have over a hundred IEM and Etymotic is the the most isolating IEM among them - that's how good they are.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #8 of 31
They are on par for me, though iM716 is still technically an Ety since it is an OEM product from the company.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 31
For me, Ety (HF5) + Shure Olives (black foam) = supreme isolation.  On a plane, with no music you will still hear/feel some rumbling (but in a soothing way) -- once the music can come on and play, all the noise goes away. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #11 of 31
ER6i isolated almost as well as ER4, though a direct comparison ER4 will probably win with a small margin.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #12 of 31
That's pretty impressive, ClieOS. Thanks for the feedback! I've also been wondering about some of the other Etys which claim the same isolation level, but somehow, they looked bigger to me. Whatever, the ER-4Ps are on their way by now anyways :)

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #13 of 31
They look pretty narrow and small but you do have to get them really far into your ear canals to get decent bass and good isolation. I for one have narrow ears canals and no matter how hard I tried I could not get them in far enough, although I have no problem with all other brands of IEMs. Hope you have better luck then I do. 
wink.gif

Quote:
My ears don't work with anything large, but luckily, these are pretty narrow and small IEMs work like a charm for me! I'm eager to get them now since maybe I can finally get great isolation and great sound in one package :wink:

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 31
It's been my experience, and I'm sure ClieOS can correct me if I'm wrong, that the farther in your ear the IEM goes, the better the isolation. IEMs like those from Westone that barely go in your ear canal really don't isolate that well.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #15 of 31
That's only true to certain extent. The way that the etys are constructed with thin bores, the items themselves built to minimize sound penetration, the high quality stock foam tips, and the fact that you can stick them fair into your ears achieve that extreme isolation that is well known of the etys.

Quote:
It's been my experience, and I'm sure ClieOS can correct me if I'm wrong, that the farther in your ear the IEM goes, the better the isolation. IEMs like those from Westone that barely go in your ear canal really don't isolate that well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back