Are Sol Republic Headphones Worth Buying?
Mar 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

shinerist

New Head-Fier
I've recently been looking into replacements for my beats(I know big mistake) and was hoping to find something under 200 dollars. One brand specifically I've looked at and like the look of is Sol Republic, but I have no idea how they sound. Is this a good brand, or am I sticking to much with name brand items? which of their headphones is best? Also I saw their headphones use "V8" and "V10" sound systems, what are these equal to, is their a big difference between them?

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 28
Short version is simply no... not @ $200. There are SO many amazing choices at this price range that will wow you that it would be a shame to waste it on that brand. If you get a chance to try them, check out the Beyerdynamic Custom One - you can control the amount of bass, they look decent in public (and can have the faceplate / headband / ear pads swapped)

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 28
No, you need to stay away from the recent crop of poser brands. The real name brands have been around much longer, and stake their reputation on the quality of their product. The new fakers like Beats, Sol, Monster etc are based on hype and product placement.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 28
Got it! Now here's a twist!! I'm into dj/production. so i was considering getting pioneers as a pair of headphones i could use all around for production plus just listening to music. My uncle is a dj and he swears by these headphones, are they versatile enough to do this for me?
Thankyou guys so much for your help aslo!!!!

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 28
They're not one of the more talked about brands here; I think you could get something better for the price. Based on what you've said, I assume you want your bass a little emphasized and you need your headphones to be closed. Some of the popular options in your price range that fit those requirements are the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohms, Audio Technica M50, and Ultrasone HFI 580. You should add an amp with these; you can get a decent one and still come out under budget or just over.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 28
What do you mean by not talked about? and the ive looked at those but im not really big on that style. i like the bigger frames, also durability is huge because my beats slowly have fallen apart..

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 28
No, you need to stay away from the recent crop of poser brands. The real name brands have been around much longer, and stake their reputation on the quality of their product. The new fakers like Beats, Sol, Monster etc are based on hype and product placement.

All of these marketing brands out there though truly supply great headphones. Beats, sols, etc. are not bad headphones. They are actually really good compared to a lot of other headphones. Do they compare to an every day Audiophiles set of cans. Not one bit. They dont compare at all. They are still good headphones though, but your just paying for the name and looks. No need to completely bash out them, the market needs to make there money somehow

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 28
Definitely check out Beyerdynamic Dt 770 pro 80ohm, those would be great for any DJ work and they would blow recent headphone brands out of the water. I would also consider the new Beyerdynamic Dt 1350, from reviews their isolation is suppose to be amazing and they have some excellent sound quality. You may not like the looks too much on beyerdynamic and i would agree they arent the best looking headphones but they have some damn good sound quality. 

Check out v-moda's as well for bassheads. There are some decent ones that have great great build quality and pretty decent sound. 

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:
What do you mean by not talked about? and the ive looked at those but im not really big on that style. i like the bigger frames, also durability is huge because my beats slowly have fallen apart..

They're just not as competitive as some of the other options out there. They should all be more durable than Beats, though. The DT770's are pretty big, and their sheetmetal build is also probably the most durable of the options I listed.

Quote:
All of these marketing brands out there though truly supply great headphones. Beats, sols, etc. are not bad headphones. They are actually really good compared to a lot of other headphones. Do they compare to an every day Audiophiles set of cans. Not one bit. They dont compare at all. They are still good headphones though, but your just paying for the name and looks. No need to completely bash out them, the market needs to make there money somehow

I don't think your assessment of these new brands is correct. Beats started from a record company and ripoff cable company looking for new sources of revenue. Then everyone else followed suit. These are not headphone makers; they're advertisers who are good at convincing the general public that they need something. Audio quality has never been the priority for this type of company.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 28
Very true, they were made to make money. But they had to set some sort of standard to proove they where worthy of having. So what they did is make them look cool, have Dre showcase them, and tamper with the bass. Overall they sound amazing to anybody who hasnt listened to higher end headphones. But Audiophiles and lovers know Beats are just a fashion gimmick

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 28
(english is not my first language)
just to get it out there i am not an audiophile but i did have had a v-moda sennheiser akg a beats headphone urbanears and last a sol republic headphone 
now i do agree the more respectable brands out there like sennheiser and stuff do sound better but to be quite fair i would never walk outside with those now i would with my sol republic tracks i know its only style, there not so good but i dont really care sure headphones are mostly important for sound quality but if they look bad i am not going to wear them outside ever, now if u are using Beats or something like that for in-home/house whatever use your just plain stupid. (see the dot i put it there for a reason)
though the v-moda crossfade does look pretty cool and they are quite good so i would say that is my recommendation if u are using it for outside, but no matter how good they are if your really in it for style which is not so bad and if people are gonna complain about headphones are not for style 1st: every person has its own opinion people use it like jewelry like why the **** do people use jewelry i mean i see no use in it its a piece of expensive rock or metal sure marriage tradition ok why not its tradition but i see enough people just buy them cuz its pretty, real or fake now back to headphones if somebody wants to wear it because it looks cool sure why not and yes v-moda does look kinda cool but to be fair sol republics and urbanears and beats just look really stylish like sols you can change headbands for if u wanna match ur oufit or something see thats a pretty cool feature i wear the most ridiculous stuff cuz i think it looks nice now i am gonna end this message cuz i dont feel like typing anymore oh and for the grammar correction people out there i don't give a ...

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 28
Sol republic worth it very durable sound is good

FINALLY. Somebody that agrees with me. Sol Republic's are possible THE best headphones I've EVER heard. My goodness. Best purchase I've ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back