Are Sennheiser HD650 headphones really this bad?
Nov 20, 2004 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

vforrest

New Head-Fier
I just bought a set of Sennheiser HD650 headphones. I played them continuously for a week to burn them in. They sound very laid back, with recessed midrange and rolled off highs. Bass is strong but not detailed. I used amps by Headroom and Lehmann Audio, as well as the headphone jack on an HHB CDR 850 CD recorder. All sound the same.

All these amps sound fine with Ultrasone HFI-550 headphones. Plenty of highs, clear midrange, and detailed bass.

Can I do anything to make the Sennheisers listenable? More burn-in, different cables?
confused.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 59
My Sennheiser hd650s sounded 200% better than my year-old ultrasone hfi650 trackmasters out of the box. im using a corda ha-2 amp and an emu1212m soundcard. if our ultrasones are anywhere similar, that seems really bizzare.
blink.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by vforrest
I just bought a set of Sennheiser HD650 headphones. I played them continuously for a week to burn them in. They sound very laid back, with recessed midrange and rolled off highs. Bass is strong but not detailed. I used amps by Headroom and Lehmann Audio, as well as the headphone jack on an HHB CDR 850 CD recorder. All sound the same.

All these amps sound fine with Ultrasone HFI-550 headphones. Plenty of highs, clear midrange, and detailed bass.

Can I do anything to make the Sennheisers listenable? More burn-in, different cables?
confused.gif

What is your normal source? I suspect the issue might have to do with it. Did you play it really loud during break-in, with lots of bass? The HD 650 takes quite a long time to sound «right». Did you try stretching the headband for looser grip? The tight grip in the beginning makes the sound dark and bass-heavy, so parallel to driver break-in the headband will break in. An aftermarket cable (...Zu Mobius...) will help with improving clarity and definition, but probably not enough to overcome the heavy sonic issues you're describing. And finally the HD 650 isn't for everyone. Maybe you're used to a bright, forward sound. You could try to adapt yourself to the different sonic presentation. It's worth it.

If nothing of the above helps, sell it!
eek.gif
There are a lot of potential buyers around.

peacesign.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 59
From my experience the HD-650 sounds good the first 20 hours, then it heads off into a vagueish mess of sound for the next 200-250 hours before it starts to settle down again into an entirely different sound compared to the beginning.

Give it around 300 hours and the bass heaviness will disappear to be replaced by a lightfooted fast and attacking bass with serious depth and articulation.

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #7 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
What is your normal source? I suspect the issue might have to do with it. Did you play it really loud during break-in, with lots of bass? The HD 650 takes quite a long time to sound «right». Did you try stretching the headband for looser grip? The tight grip in the beginning makes the sound dark and bass-heavy, so parallel to driver break-in the headband will break in. An aftermarket cable (...Zu Mobius...) will help with improving clarity and definition, but probably not enough to overcome the heavy sonic issues you're describing. And finally the HD 650 isn't for everyone. Maybe you're used to a bright, forward sound. You could try to adapt yourself to the different sonic presentation. It's worth it.

If nothing of the above helps, sell it!
eek.gif
There are a lot of potential buyers around.

peacesign.gif

I've voice an opinion on "cable burn-in", but see a possiblity of headphone transducer break-in.

I wonder if anyone speculates how the sound of the 650 has maybe changed as Sennheiser has developed their process. I purchased my pair early, hoping to benefit from the design team being closely involved. However, Sennheiser probably has found improvements in the process. Just a few thoughts.

Anyone compared "old" and new 650s?

JF

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by vforrest
confused.gif

How long have you actually listened to them (besides "burn-in")? Before spending money on snake oil solutions try to get "acclimatized" to the sound. Then, if you still do not like them (say, after two weeks), get some other phones.

Regards,

L.

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leporello
How long have you actually listened to them (besides "burn-in")? Before spending money on snake oil solutions try to get "acclimatized" to the sound. Then, if you still do not like them (say, after two weeks), get some other phones.

Regards,

L.

Snake oil? Is there really snake oil out there??? hehehe...

(Agree JaZZ. This isn't going to work, is it?)

JF

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
My Sennheiser hd650s sounded 200% better than my year-old ultrasone hfi650 trackmasters out of the box. im using a corda ha-2 amp and an emu1212m soundcard. if our ultrasones are anywhere similar, that seems really bizzare.
blink.gif

Listened to both 650s briefly out of the box ... no comparison at all, imho not even in the same league. Maybe the 650s you don't like are ultrasones ones ? Just kidding.
eggosmile.gif

Anyway yours is an interesting remarks and perhaps a proof that we possibly hear things differently.

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 59
A lot of the "burn-in" has to happen for your own ears and head, not just the headphones.

I would try and listen to them for maybe at least a week or two and see where you stand by then.

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Listened to both 650s briefly out of the box ... no comparison at all, imho not even in the same league. Maybe the 650s you don't like are ultrasones ones ? Just kidding.
eggosmile.gif

Anyway yours is an interesting remarks and perhaps a proof that we possibly hear things differently.

sorry if i wasn't clear; my brand new senn hd650s sound 200% better--before burn in--than my year-old, burned-in ultrasone hfi650 trackmasters.
blink.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
It may just be that the Senn sound isn't for you, although many people seem to really love them.

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about the wallet.

I agree.
There is a possiblity that something might be wrong with the phones.
Could you try another pair?
If it still sounds bad to you,(and really that is all that matters)
then get rid of them.

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:57 PM Post #14 of 59
JohnFerrier...

...please stop contaminating every thread you can find with your sarcasm!

...and stop with constantly editing your posts!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier
Snake oil? Is there really snake oil out there??? hehehe...

[edited away:]

snakeoil.gif

[again, edited:] (Agree JaZZ. This isn't going to work, is it?)

JF

And to the people interested in others' experiences with the subject: try to find out which people really have listening experience and aren't just arguing on an ideological basis.

peacesign.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 2:08 PM Post #15 of 59
Are you using a replacement cable? If not, it would certainly help. Although it won't change the Senn "house sound" dramatically, it will improve upon what is already there. From my experience with the HD580, the Blue Dragon moves the entire soundstage slightly more forward, tightens the bass, and extends the highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back