Are portable amps really worth it?
Jan 7, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #16 of 36
When I got my first Ipod really hate it until I acquired Hornet, it drastically improve my ipod.

Jan 7, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by basman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I got my first Ipod really hate it until I acquired Hornet, it drastically improve my ipod.

I wouldn't say I hate mine, but obviosuly I am not very happy with the sound, so a portable amp may fix this. Problem is which one to buy. I like Hornet, Tomahawk, Ibasso.......

Jan 7, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #18 of 36
Well as someone who just purchased a 2nd hand Tomahawk, I would say yes to your question. My decision to go for a portable amp again was not without hesitations.

First of all, most (by which I mean nearly all) of them are far too bulky to fit inside a jeans pocket - my definition of portable. If it can't fit comfortably inside my pocket, then it ain't very portable. While I can understand and have personally heard the benefits of iMods and their associated amps, it is simply too much bulk to be carrying around. I guess this is all fine if the increase in sound quality is so much so that I would be able to enjoy my music much more on-the-go. Unfortunately, my ears tell me otherwise.

In my experience, the price/additional-bulk to performance ratio of all the well regarded portable amps I've tried (with iPod amping IEMs) is pretty poor. That's why I don't think I would (in my current college student financial position), be attracted to pay the full price for a brand new portable amp. To me, they just aren't worth it, but I would be happy to buy one at a discounted price (as I have done so).

However, it must be said that they do make a difference, particularly with the 4th and 5th Gen iPods. The headphone out suffers from a profoundly obvious premature bass roll-off which, for me personally, hampers my enjoyment of various bass heavy tracks (and not so bass heavy ones too). Fortunately, such is not a problem with the line-out and so one needs to use a portable amplifier for voltage gain and attenuation.

Jan 7, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by amp 36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say I hate mine, but obviosuly I am not very happy with the sound, so a portable amp may fix this. Problem is which one to buy. I like Hornet, Tomahawk, Ibasso.......

Maybe an amp like the Mini3 or Ibasso P2 to start out with. Relatively cheap and liked by quite a few. Doesnt kill your wallet and allows you to go higher up the chain within time. This is a message to myself too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by moriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe an amp like the Mini3 or Ibasso P2 to start out with. Relatively cheap and liked by quite a few. Doesnt kill your wallet and allows you to go higher up the chain within time. This is a message to myself too
smily_headphones1.gif

I would rather choose the P2, coz you can tailor its sound according to your preference.

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #21 of 36
One's own desire to have more and insecurity that he/she does not have enuf always factors into these perceptions. Personal case in point: A few weeks ago I was invested in trading in my Headroom micro amp for a "better" desktop arrangement. I feared losing my portable system of an amped classic 80 gig ipod listening through Shure se530 iems. So I did a & b comparison listening. I was/am sure I heard no significant difference. The shure se530 has pretty powerful/efficient drivers for little guys such as they are. This was corroborated by Headroom staff. I wrote my personal observation on a related post and pretty much got slimed with "you oughta know/listen better" responses. I, of course began to doubt my own experience. Then I began reading all the posts about the new and improved Pico and Predator. I salivated. "I want one of those!" Both of those. One for each ear." And I notice now when I listen to the same ipod through the same 530s, well, er, it doesn't sound so good. Something's lacking. May a Predator? Probably a Pico. In fact I was just about to call Justin to order one but read this thread 'cause he doesn't open for another three minutes I believe. "Buy me, get me, give me!" If the sex organ is mostly the brain, where's headfi? Long post but this particular topic is just one of those head spinners for me.

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #22 of 36
Minimalist tendencies have me mostly toting my 2nd gen nano or 1st gen Shuffle for portable listening. I like my iPod Touch as well, but kind of a pain to operate 'blind' when it rests on the belt (touch screen). I have a Go-vibe V for when a yearn to up the ante in SQ on my E500s (out of Touch's line-out).

I'd say between 80-90 percent of the time there's no Go-vibe in the picture, too much bulk. That's why I opted for the best sounding amp I felt I could get for the lowest price (since it would spend most of its time in the 'gear' drawer).

Jan 7, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #23 of 36
Ditto what Billybob said, re the IM716's. I much prefer a minimalist setup of IEM's and my Zune, but there is no denying the major improvement an amp gives the Altec's, and IMO, my KSC75's as well. I have a GoVibe 6 and a Zero Audiocraft. I'd been using my GoVibe exclusively for a few months, but just rediscovered my ZA, and have to say, it's a nice pairing with the Zune and my phones. Seems to have a bit more kick in the high end, and a bit more "oomph" overall than the GV6. If you can find a ZA from the builder on ebay I strongly recommend it for the price.

Jan 7, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by moriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I've read that both amps sond great and they even beat some of the RSA's out there.

Jan 7, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #25 of 36
I can only speak for what I have and have heard. My UE .03's sound way better off my Toma in low gain (bling bling LOD) than my U2Pod's line out to the UE's.

If you can't hear a difference (for the better) don't spend the money!

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by barmar46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few weeks ago I was invested in trading in my Headroom micro amp for a "better" desktop arrangement. I feared losing my portable system of an amped classic 80 gig ipod listening through Shure se530 iems. So I did a & b comparison listening. I was/am sure I heard no significant difference. The shure se530 has pretty powerful/efficient drivers for little guys such as they are. This was corroborated by Headroom staff. I wrote my personal observation on a related post and pretty much got slimed with "you oughta know/listen better" responses.

I've had the e500s for quite a while and haven't been able to improve on the iPod's headphone with external amps. I've tried the Tomahawk and Pico to no avail. My other amps, Benchmark DAC1 and Lisa III XP have too much gain for the Shures.

In my experience I don't think upgrading amps for the e500s is a good call. But I am very impressed with the tiny Pico driving my HD650s.

It's also my experience, after extensive testing, that the DAC in the iPod Classic is damn good.

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

And how does the Ibasso P2( SQ wise) compare to the Tomahawk?? Although P2 costs less than half the price of the Toma, reviews seem to put it clearly above.

Any more on this?

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #29 of 36
Wow thanks for the helpful responses. From reading all this, I may just go for a cheaper amp like the mini-E or the P2 and see what difference that makes (I alread own a decent LOD). Unfortunately I live in Sydney, Australia so I don't think there will be many head-fiers around, of course if you are around Sydney and read this and own a portable amp or two, PM me.

Jan 8, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

And how does the Ibasso P2( SQ wise) compare to the Tomahawk?? Although P2 costs less than half the price of the Toma, reviews seem to put it clearly above.

Check out the thread on the P2. I personally have never heard a Tomahawk, but this post
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/iba...2/index15.html
Page 15 from Pete 7 Was enough to push me into buying one, so far I'm very pleased with it.

Quote:

I find it really amazing nobody talks about this amp on Head-Fi. Are people on here that fooled with a high price being equivalent to superior quality?
I've had some top-of-the-line portable amps, and even with the stock configuration, this amp either beats or equals them all; but mostly just beats: RSA Hornet,SR-71,Tomahawk,Larocco P.R. II,Portaphile v2v2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back