Are planar magnetic headphones really flat?
Jan 26, 2024 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Lovediy

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody. I have looked at some of the planar drivers. What I noticed is that the membrane is not really flat. Some planar headphones have slightly wrinkled membranes, some are wavy. Is this a manufacturing defect or a feature? I really want to know. Thank you for your interest in this topic.
Here are a few examples I found on google.
1.png
2.png
3.png

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 18
No matter how flat it is, it is a diaphragm that needed to have a certain amount of give in order to vibrate to make full range of sound. I can see how it can never really be completely flat as if it is under tension on all directions, or else lower frequency range will be all gone.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 18
Planars are thought of as "flat" because the diaphragm is "relatively" so (compared to dynamic drivers, which are thought of as cone shaped for rigidity). A planar membrane can be thin and "flat" since they're exposed to magnets on either side (allowing a uniform field). I don't think conceptually it matters if some manufactured membranes aren't perfectly flat: the premise is that they have a fast response time, and the entire surface is still equally suspended.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 18
While we're considering the construction of planar magnetic drivers, are they prone to failure more often than dynamic drivers? I have no experience with them, personally.

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 18
Planars are thought of as "flat" because the diaphragm is "relatively" so (compared to dynamic drivers, which are thought of as cone shaped for rigidity). A planar membrane can be thin and "flat" since they're exposed to magnets on either side (allowing a uniform field). I don't think conceptually it matters if some manufactured membranes aren't perfectly flat: the premise is that they have a fast response time, and the entire surface is still equally suspended.
All those wavy things cause tiny dips and peaks in the FR. It's unacceptable.

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 18
Jan 27, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 18
While we're considering the construction of planar magnetic drivers, are they prone to failure more often than dynamic drivers? I have no experience with them, personally.
I would think it's hard to judge, as the major brands are manufacturing dynamic headphones. Since they have toolings for higher output, they also have higher QC. Yamaha now has a flagship planar headphone, but that's more an exception.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 18
All those wavy things cause tiny dips and peaks in the FR. It's unacceptable.
I'm building my own flat planar driver. I was doing some research and found that at hifiman, their drivers are completely tensioned flat. In Meze, the driver is stamped into ribbon-like patterns. Whether a driver is completely flat, and a flat driver is designed in a ribbon curve. Which is the best? (I use google translation. If there is any confusion in the presentation, please understand.)

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #11 of 18
I'm not sure that there is one answer to that question. While on our audiophile side we love simple philosophies of how reality works, the designers spend most of their time mitigating existing issues. Could be durability, could be about certain resonance at certain frequency as a function of the dimensions of the driver. I intuitively would want to say that big perfect flat is the ideal target, one simple wavefront from an ideally stiff but light driver is the dream after all. But as that doesn't actually happen, different people will have different priorities and take different routes to solve their issues while trying not to add too much extra mess in the process.

You might want to reach out directly to the brands, some will not even engage, but some are fairly happy to share information. Obviously, it might work better if you present yourself as a reviewer and a fan, than as someone who might compete with them one day ^_^.
And whatever you figure out, as a curious amateur, I'd like it if you shared some with us.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 18
I'm not sure that there is one answer to that question. While on our audiophile side we love simple philosophies of how reality works, the designers spend most of their time mitigating existing issues. Could be durability, could be about certain resonance at certain frequency as a function of the dimensions of the driver. I intuitively would want to say that big perfect flat is the ideal target, one simple wavefront from an ideally stiff but light driver is the dream after all. But as that doesn't actually happen, different people with have different priorities and take different routes to solve their issues while trying not to add too much extra mess in the process.

You might want to reach out directly to the brands, some will not even engage, but some are fairly happy to share some information. Obviously, it might work better if you present yourself as a reviewer and a fan, than as someone who might compete with them one day ^_^.
And whatever you figure out, as a curious amateur, I'd like it if you shared some with us.
Maybe it's like you said. My approach to the problem is going in the wrong direction. Thank you for your advice.

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 18
While I do agree you may not be able to hear these tiny peaks and dips in the FR, I think higher end planars don't do this. Or at the least better QC.

I am making planar IEMs and have been for 2 years ish. Feel free to ask anything. I'll tell you right now that if a driver membrane is crinkled in random patterns, you WILL get random blips and dips in the frequency graph. Does it matter? Up to you!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 18
Hi everybody. I have looked at some of the planar drivers. What I noticed is that the membrane is not really flat. Some planar headphones have slightly wrinkled membranes, some are wavy. Is this a manufacturing defect or a feature? I really want to know. Thank you for your interest in this topic.
Here are a few examples I found on google.
1.png2.png3.png
I've only ever seen flat ones from the headphones I've taken apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back