Are Non-believers happy with their systems?
May 12, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #136 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes... 'nutty, with a hint of oak...'

Good one!
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #137 of 144
I have made amazing leaps in my beliefs about audiophile BS in the last year. I have a flat FR, low distortion, high dynamic range, high SNR amp and dac that fall with the limits of human audibility and I think only headphones / speakers can make a difference from here on in (and the quality of the recording).

Of course, this is ASSUMING that neutral gear is the goal and not some coloured stuff that we're seeking.

I think the proverbial straw was broken when I discovered my cheap EMU 0404 USB integrated amp had a more neutral and clean sound (though quieter) than my LD MKIII.

Quite honestly, there are so many polar opposite responses and subjective responses to just about every question that I only trust objectivity from here on in.

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #138 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catharsis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite honestly, there are so many polar opposite responses and subjective responses to just about every question that I only trust objectivity from here on in.

It's not just subjective opinions you need to watch out for. There are quite a few people who are only here to generate sales - whether they admit it or not.

If there's any reason to be strictly objective and insist on test measurements, it's because you never know if the person claiming to "hear a difference" actually does. They might be getting $100 of the $300 you spent on a cable because they convinced you to buy it.

Profit margins are off the charts with cables - there are few industries with such amazing margins. That money doesn't go into R&D or materials. There is no R&D. If there were, they'd be using test equipment which, apparently, doesn't work on cables. So if you cannot test cables, you cannot have R&D. Further, the component costs are really cheap.

So where does all that money go? Mostly into the pocket of the manufacturer, but they know that the best way to generate sales is to hire salesmen and give generous commissions.

Good salesmen know better than to register as a MOT; they wouldn't be able to promote their gear if they did.

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #139 of 144
I absolutely agree.

I work in the field of nutrition and deal with various health products on a regular basis. Between detox foot patches, liquid oxygen, artery cleanses and blood purifiers, I can honestly say that on any given day I deal with about 95% BS and about 5% actual scientifically derived information.

The sad part is; people gobble up BS like its a top sirloin. What applies to one industry, logically applies to any other where there are profits to be had.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #142 of 144
I'm elated with my set up as it is even though some would say I'm limiting it with BJC interconnects and stock power cords.

I think the other side fields very unpersuasive and illogical arguments but I do strive to keep an open mind; when I find the willpower, I intend to run through the gamut of "snake oil" products and audition the stuff in my own system.

Jul 5, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #143 of 144
I'm happy with my setup for the money spent, i know it could be improved but not through cables, i've tried to switch between 20 years old oxidised interconnects and cheap gold plated ones and i heard no difference at all;

More recently i upgraded my cartridge and the difference was night and day, so i think that within my budget there are far better ways to improve the sound than "tweaks"...when i'll have invested say 10000$ in an hifi syste,, maybe i'll start to consider buyng expensive cables ( even if i'm sceptic )...but so far i don't think it's worth it.

Jul 6, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #144 of 144
For myself with a coming Balanced 6 board Beta22 amp, and Balanced Buffalo32s DAC, and the phones of my choice I will be very happy, and see no need to get hundreds of dollars in cables. And I use my laptop with external USB drives feeding 2TB of FLAC so that is all
biggrin.gif

I have been thinking of building a transport that has linux on it and flac, plus a CD tray. How to build it to Buffalo32 or Beta22 spec is the issue Im working on.

But when my uncle who has a speaker rig costing over 60K USD and he tried the insane cables and he rather make his own. He heard no difference or some made it worse. THE ONLY time it matters is with HUGE lengths of cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back