Are IEM's dangerous during takeoffs?
Dec 8, 2006 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Snaques

100+ Head-Fier
I travel quite a bit with airplanes, but the trips are pretty short, 1-2h. This means that some 70% of the time the plane is either ascending or descending. I would like to have IEM's there to block the noise, but got worried because of the pressure.
confused.gif

IEM's make a seal in to your ear. Now if you put them on while on the ground and take 'em off some 5km's higher is there a potential catastrophy for my ears. Because if the seal is good, the ears can't depressurize (that a real word?!?) and the pressure differences could really harm your ears when changed instantly.
blink.gif

So how are you using your IEM's during flights.

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 37
I usually do not use flange or sleeve tips on the plane because of the reason you stated. Instead, I use foamies, which happen to provide the best sound isolation without a 100% seal and this helps with the pressure changes. Now, there are foamies that are coated with a sealant and I stay away from them. They have to be spongy porous.

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not alowed to use your electronic equipment during take off and landing anyway, so why keeping your earphones during this periods?
confused.gif

you can listen to the on-flight radio, and you can listen to electronic devices through most of the descent.

to OP, i have flown with ety's in during takeoff and landing. and when you're flying in general, the change in cabin pressure is typically very small. in fact, i don't think i've noticed it at all during my last 10+ flights, and if there has been a change, i must have adjusted to it without paying attention.

there is a lot more pressure change going on outside of the aircraft, but the cabin is pressurized...

in summary, i wouldn't worry about it.

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 37
I feel great deal of discomfort when I fly with etys and tri flanges. I feel pressure build up and then a pop here and there. It is annoying.

Dec 8, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 37
I think it depends a lot on your ears and how sensitive they are. Since planes these days are so highly pressurized, I can't really tell much difference if the IEMs are in or not.

I use UE10-Pro and used to be very cautious with them. I'd wait at least 10-15 minutes after take off and then take them out as soon as the "initial decent" announcement was made. Problem is, a lot of my flights are just from Cayman to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale (about an hour and 10 mintues typically), and this meant that I never got to listen to a full CD.

Over time, I gradually became more relaxed with the idea. Now I put my UEs in right away (while still on the ground... easy to do if you're using an iPod that you can stuff in your pocket and run the cord under your shirt... unless the flight attendants look closely at your ears, they would never see the clear UEs... he he!).

I've never had any problem with my ears "clearing" except when I forgot to take out my Ety ER-4S several years ago during the decent. Because the Etys (when wedged in tightly) provide such a tight seal, this caused a lot of pressure to build up in my ears, to the point of some rather severe pain! I'm pretty sure I had a head cold at the time as well, and that is never good when flying.

So what advice to give? It depends on how often you fly, but for a frequent business traveller, I'd suggest that you get a good pair of IEMs and then experiment a little with them. I'm now at the "no worries" point, but it took me several years and a few IEM upgrades to get there.

Dec 8, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel great deal of discomfort when I fly with etys and tri flanges. I feel pressure build up and then a pop here and there. It is annoying.

Your ear canal is actualy connected to you nasal passages. So it's not a perfectly sealed compartment. The pops you hear are the air forced in or out through these connections to the nasal passage. A sure way of getting this done without the large POP is to chew gum during take-off and landings. You won't even notice it, I swear.

Dec 8, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 37
The middle-ear (behind the eardrum) is actually connected to the back of the throat via a little tube. This opens up to equalize pressure between the outside air and the middle ear. It will open up if you swallow or yawn. So chewing gum, or candy, or just drinking will do the trick. The cananl has little to do with pressure so wearing IEMs is not a problem.

First post by the way, I've been lurking for a while but this thread interested me in particular.

Dec 8, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the gum thing IS true??

Anyway, i keep my IEMs on the whole time, the only pain i've had was when i have a cold

Flying with a cold= unbelievable pain

It doesn't have to be gum. In fact if you just keep swallowing your saliva, the action will equalise the pressure - soon you may work out how to do it without even swallowing
icon10.gif

Another technique is to pinch your nose closed and gently exhale (through the nose) - this is more effective than mouth action so it may help when you have a cold. (but YMMV)

Off-topic but has anyone flown with their portable amps lately? I'm wondering if customs will take issue to me carrying a little black box with a switch onto the plane.
blink.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentVX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off-topic but has anyone flown with their portable amps lately? I'm wondering if customs will take issue to me carrying a little black box with a switch onto the plane.
blink.gif

I travel with my Total BitHead all the time, and have never had any trouble whatsoever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not alowed to use your electronic equipment during take off and landing anyway, so why keeping your earphones during this periods?
confused.gif

To block engine noise, crying babies, people in the row behind you talking overly loud about their embarrassing medical conditions, etc.

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 37
I always have my ER4Ps in while I'm on planes, even if I'm not listening to music. I have experienced some pressure build up, but it can be remedied by just moving the IEM around in my ear canal which just breaks the seal for half a second or so. Swallowing can also help.

Have a good flight.

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 37
Yeah, I just pop my ears, it works fine. That way you don't have to take them out or put them back in anyway. I mean, you figure you're going to have to pop your ears anyway because you're ascending... IEM's aren't going to make a difference. If the plane is really rapidly ascending, I'll just leave that tube open, which you can do if you know how to open that valve. I don't even have to open my mouth anymore to pop my ears, it's cool once you learn it.

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I just pop my ears, it works fine. That way you don't have to take them out or put them back in anyway. I mean, you figure you're going to have to pop your ears anyway because you're ascending... IEM's aren't going to make a difference. If the plane is really rapidly ascending, I'll just leave that tube open, which you can do if you know how to open that valve. I don't even have to open my mouth anymore to pop my ears, it's cool once you learn it.

Exactly. The best way to do it I've found is act like you're about to yawn, then when you hear the pop, keep everything still. Works a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back