Are high end IEM's a waste on an iphone?
Aug 6, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #46 of 55
Quote:
In that case, as a past user and owner of various Apple products, I deem them as being inadequate and insufficient for my audio needs and standards.
So Apple products has become unfavorable to use as my source and in the future I will share this with others if they ask for my opinion.

Wow, such a nice guy...
rolleyes.gif

...or perhaps you are a Korean student and Samsung is paying you to spread their gospel.  
cool.gif

Whatever the case may be...you sound like you have no idea about what you are talking about. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #47 of 55
Quote:
Wow, such a nice guy...
rolleyes.gif

...or perhaps you are a Korean student and Samsung is paying you to spread their gospel.  
cool.gif

Whatever the case may be...you sound like you have no idea about what you are talking about. 

He's entitled to his subjective opinion - as are all of us.  The secret is to remember / note his baseline impressions so that if they don't match your own, you disregard in future 
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #48 of 55
I've tried my Kaedes with the Invicta, and to be honest, there was only just a slight improvement compared to a third gen itouch. To be honest, my O2 actually sounded worse than my ipod. The C3s were so so. And the Rocoo P was absolutely horrid. Both these DAPs I no longer remember as I sold them off quite some time ago. Plus, I'm used to the iOS UI, which in my opinion, has not been bested yet. Of course, your mileage may vary. I'm just happy my ears can't tell the difference between high end DAC/AMP/DAPs. It's saved me alot of money. 

On the other hand, switching the headphone/IEM has proven to be more effective in my experience. 
Depends on what type of person you are :)

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Wow, such a nice guy...
rolleyes.gif

cool.gif

Thanks, some people say I'm too nice. :wink:
I am an Korean American employee at a Korean company based in Korea if you want to know.
And I am against Samsung just as much as I am against Apple in case you wanted to know.
Well, maybe against Apple a little more to be honest.
Whatever the case may be...I know that you don't know exactly what I'm talking about.
I'm not asking anyone to agree with me.
If you don't agree with me, you can disregard everything I say like Brooko said.

The person who started this thread put in the title "Are high-end IEMs a waste on a iPhone?"
and I was merely sharing my own experience and opinion to answer his question.
I am not trying to start a debate or argue about this as it will have no end.
Like I said everyone has their own personal preference, opinion, standard and taste.
It's whatever floats your boat and so far Apple hasn't made mine.

I may not agree with you and you may not agree with me but that's no reason to go on and criticize me saying I have no idea what I'm talking about...We can just agree to disagree.
Come on you can be a better man.

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #50 of 55
Hello,

I got my W4R's this morning and had a quick play with them. This is my first venture into decent IEM's so I have nothing to reference them against and most of what I say is gibberish to you guys.

They look nice and expensive. I like the cable and it's about the right length for me. I just used the tips or whatever they're called that were on the earphones. The grey ones. Took me about 10 mins to get on. This is a daft question but how do I know I've got a proper seal? They felt quite snug in my ears.

I tried the W4R's with my ipod classic (I think it's 5th gen) and my iphone 5 playing some songs, Shpongle, The Black Keys, Nitin Sawhney.

I'm not quite sure what I was expecting. Maybe the sound to explode in my head and dazzle my senses and I'm not entirely sure they did that. It was a nice, clean and clear sound. My ipod definitely sounds warmer but I slightly prefer the sound from the iphone. I listen to my music quite loud around 85-90% and the ipod can go much louder than the phone.

This is a terrible analogy but I'm going to use it anyway. The W4R's were like having a coldish shower on a very hot day. But not a power shower so they didn't completely blow me away.

I like the sound signature and even though they cost me £389, I'm glad I went for them.. I think.

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #51 of 55
oh the W4 doesnt do explode or sizzle.  its a pretty flat monitor like sound.

as for getting a seal, well there is the bass but the easier way is do you get that ears cut off from the outside world sensation?  tbh if your having bother use the foamy tips

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #52 of 55
It might take awhile for me to adjust to a neutral sound. I think I'm used to fake boomy earhphones.

Yeah the bass was there, again way less than I'm used to and sensation was like having my fingers in my ears. I could hear the music from my stereo, just. I will try the other tips at some point.

Thanks for all the advice. I wish I had the cash to try the Shures and IE80's but I suppose I can save towards a new DAP.

Cheers

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #53 of 55

The W4R's were like having a coldish shower on a very hot day. But not a power shower so they didn't completely blow me away.

I think this is actually a really good description of the sound tbh. I'd probably use "muggy" instead of "very hot" for that extra bit of descriptor. The W4 were kind of a contradiction in themselves to me, though a very good one, and for a while I wasn't even sure what to think because I could only describe everything they did in oxymoronic terms (like they are dynamic but in a soft way). They're the kind of IEM that impress you over time with just how well balanced the entire tuning is. They also work well with EQ if you should want to go that way and there are mods that can alter the sound.

You made a good choice IMO. Hope they work out for you!

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #54 of 55
Just think what will happen with you when you pull this out of your pocket/backpack anywhere in the USA. A tazer and one way ticket to guantanamo.

Quote:

And I've come to realize that people who write posts like yours plug their cans into something like this:

Well, good luck with your lower back pain and your ripped cargo pants. 
biggrin.gif

But I guess the positive thing about those rigs is that they can be wielded as a weapon in case you get mugged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back