Are high end IEM's a waste on an iphone?
Aug 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #31 of 55
Quote:
while ken  rockwell's measurements are not very trustable, i think iproducts don't suffer a massive drop in audio quality for the amount of portability they offer.

Why aren't his measurements trustworthy? 

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #32 of 55
Quote:
Thanks for the advice people.

Yeah this is my concern. Someone said on a thread, buying expensive earphones for an iphone is like buying $2000 tires for a $500 car. I spent 14 hours yesterday searching the forums and it was comments like that, which threw me.

The IE80's look good but people mention they are a bit too heavy on the bass. To be honest, I'm not overly fond of Sennheiser. None of their headphones I've tried have really done it for me. But then again the IE80's are half the price of the W4R's.

I know this is subjective but do you think the Shure SE535 would a good choice for me?

well.........for what you say you want and listen to i think you may rather prefer its bass levels.  ignore that its half the price of the 535 and w4, its just as good.  at the high end its waaaay more about getting the right sound for you and im not sure why you have lept to the 535 and the W4.  could you explain why those two?  i mean the 535 i kinda get as shures are known for least needing an amp to be great but its a very mid centric IEM and you dont list any vocal heavy musical styles.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #33 of 55
I believe you should go for the um3x rc. The w4r does have quite some improvement from a good source and amp. I power my IEMs from my iPhone or iPad and feel like the amount of hassle involved in having an audiophile rig is much more than the loss of quality from a good rig. That said, you should probably invest in a desktop setup to use them at home as well

I think the closed soundstage and tuning for monitoring is limited. I would recommend any of the iem in my sig over the um3 on that alone.

Still prefer the 4.ai over w4 but it is potato potatoes. Either are a fine choice

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #34 of 55
If people uses UE900, W4R, SE535, 4.Ai, and the like on Sansa Clip+, then there is nothing wrong with using an iPhone for it.

p.s. I am by no mean try to bash the Sansa Clip.

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

well.........for what you say you want and listen to i think you may rather prefer its bass levels.  ignore that its half the price of the 535 and w4, its just as good.  at the high end its waaaay more about getting the right sound for you and im not sure why you have lept to the 535 and the W4.  could you explain why those two?  i mean the 535 i kinda get as shures are known for least needing an amp to be great but its a very mid centric IEM and you dont list any vocal heavy musical styles.

Hi, I went ahead and ordered the W4R's. They should be here tomorrow. Hopefully they'll sound pretty good straight out of my phone and ipod. Touching on something LFC mentioned, that somewhere down the line, if Westone's or iphone leave me wanting then it might give me reason to upgrade my source. The DX50 looks promising. If it's better match for the W4R's than the ColorFly C3 or X3, I might get it.

Thanks for all your advice. I seem to have run out of reps to give. So I'll come back when they reset and give some feedback to update the thread.

Cheers.

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #36 of 55
Eh, I use my customs straight out of my iphone.  Sounds good enough for something I can keep in my pockets comfortably.  

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

And I've come to realize that people who write posts like yours plug their cans into something like this:

Well, good luck with your lower back pain and your ripped cargo pants. 
biggrin.gif

But I guess the positive thing about those rigs is that they can be wielded as a weapon in case you get mugged.

Quote:

I've come to realise that a lot of people who bag Apple products have never performed a line level matched blind test - and therefore continue to perpetuate the myth that Apple products sound bad 
size]

And yes - I have plugged my cans into something else.  The iPhone4 and iPod Touch G4 I have are better to my ears than the Cowons and Sonys  I used to have.

Don't be hating guys. I'm not talking about me.
And I use a phone as my source just like you guys. No amp or dac or any inbetween peripheral.
If you guys are happy with your Apple product. Good for you.
It's just I've run into many people complaining about it's quality.
Everyone has their personal preference.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #39 of 55
And I use a phone as my source just like you guys. No amp or dac or any inbetween peripheral.

Lol

Let's go back to your original post shall we ......

Quote:
I've come to realize that the people around me who use Apple products as their source don't say they have a problem with it until they've plugged their cans into something else.

Maybe you should have checked a wider audience, or possibly not jumped to conclusion that it's the norm?  Have you yourself experienced any better DAPs, and can you give specific instances of your experience .......

Don't worry about it 
wink.gif
 - just pulling your chain 
biggrin.gif
 - better I think to talk only about your own experiences rather than making a blanket statement about other's views - which will often be shot down.  In this subjective hobby - the only impression that you know will be 100% correct is your own (to you).

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #40 of 55

Really? How many do you run into? Two a day? Ten a week? LOL

The funny thing is that I have never run into one of those complainers. Most people with Beats do not care about their source.

So, you run with a group of audiophiles....and many of them complain about their iPhones, huh? BTW, do they also complain about their Samsungs, or are those just dandy?

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #41 of 55
I think the closed soundstage and tuning for monitoring is limited. I would recommend any of the iem in my sig over the um3 on that alone.

Still prefer the 4.ai over w4 but it is potato potatoes. Either are a fine choice

Besides the tiny soundstage I think the um3x is rather musical and competent in regards to normal use. They are also tiny, easy to drive and easy to store.

I don't trust ken Rockwell thanks to photography, I guess that bias extends to his whole sigr

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #42 of 55
Quote:
Really? How many do you run into? Two a day? Ten a week? LOL

The funny thing is that I have never run into one of those complainers. Most people with Beats do not care about their source.

So, you run with a group of audiophiles....and many of them complain about their iPhones, huh? BTW, do they also complain about their Samsungs, or are those just dandy?

Don't put it on me girl.
I live in Korea so it would be really difficult for you to run into the same people I run into who are not audiophiles and where a very low percentage of them use beats.
They don't really complain about Samsung (unless you're talking about build quality), although I do.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Lol

Let's go back to your original post shall we ......

Maybe you should have checked a wider audience, or possibly not jumped to conclusion that it's the norm?  Have you yourself experienced any better DAPs, and can you give specific instances of your experience .......

Don't worry about it 
wink.gif
 - just pulling your chain 
biggrin.gif
 - better I think to talk only about your own experiences rather than making a blanket statement about other's views - which will often be shot down.  In this subjective hobby - the only impression that you know will be 100% correct is your own (to you).

In that case, as a past user and owner of various Apple products, I deem them as being inadequate and insufficient for my audio needs and standards.
So Apple products has become unfavorable to use as my source and in the future I will share this with others if they ask for my opinion.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #45 of 55
Quote:
In that case, as a past user and owner of various Apple products, I deem them as being inadequate and insufficient for my audio needs and standards.
So Apple products has become unfavorable to use as my source and in the future I will share this with others if they ask for my opinion.

Thanks 
biggrin.gif
 - and I will in future disregard any impressions from you on headphones or source/amps - as your standards are either much higher than mine, or probably more likely - completely incompatible (and perhaps [IMO] subject to anti-Apple bias) 
wink.gif

Feel free to ignore mine too 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back