Are high end IEM's a waste on an iphone?
Aug 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #16 of 55
High end iems and an iphone is fine. I have my JH5 and UERM with my phone or itouch and never once have I thought I need a better source. It won't be the best but it's portable and I don't care about that when I'm on my commute.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #17 of 55
In my mind, high-end UIEMs and CIEMs are the best investment in portable audio.  Better to spend a bunch on one than mess around with different sources and portable amps and mid range headphones.

I've had several of the high end portable sources and amps and I've stripped it all to my JH13s or Heir 8.A directly out of my iphone 5.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #19 of 55
I've come to realize that I would likely bet money that people couldn't tell they were plugged into "something else" on a loud train or bus from any decent smartphone with IEMs.

Noise on busy city streets regularly exceeds 70db and subway noise inside and on the platforms where I am averages >80db.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #20 of 55
The first thing I plugged my new JH13pro into was a $35 Sansa Clip Zip.  It sounded great, far better than any of the cheaper earphones I own.  It's true that you're not getting the full capability of the IEM with certain sources, but to even get 75% of the way there gives you great sound.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #21 of 55
Don't have experience with the W4/R but i have had the SE535 once upon a time. Great little pair that REALLY responds well to EQ.

Main strength of the SE535 are the glorious mids. But with your choice of music, it might sound a little warm/bloated to you. Just like how i disliked the W4R from that one time i tested it due to the flat-ish sound sig.

Don't bother with big portable rigs unless you're carrying a bag. My AK100 + SR71B gets next to no use these days simply because i run my 8.A through my iPhone 5. Yes, the AK rig sounds much better but really, I'm not walking around town with a huge ass rig sticking out of my jeans. Well, unless im carrying a bag, which also happens next to never.

Enjoy whichever IEM you choose, you'll enjoy them.

Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com
Aug 6, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #22 of 55
The simple answer to this is "no", they aren't a waste of on a portable like an iPhone.  I actually do all my reviewing straight out of an iPod Touch 5G.  Some iPhone models have been shown to be great sources.  Now, of course, they don't put out a tone of power to really driver IEMs sensitive to that sort of thing.  For the most part though, they should suffice for most of the higher-end IEMs :wink: 

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #24 of 55
Quote:
I've come to realize that the people around me who use Apple products as their source don't say they have a problem with it until they've plugged their cans into something else.

I've come to realise that a lot of people who bag Apple products have never performed a line level matched blind test - and therefore continue to perpetuate the myth that Apple products sound bad 
size]

And yes - I have plugged my cans into something else.  The iPhone4 and iPod Touch G4 I have are better to my ears than the Cowons and Sonys  I used to have.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #25 of 55
Quote:
I've come to realize that the people around me who use Apple products as their source don't say they have a problem with it until they've plugged their cans into something else.

I've come to realise that a lot of people who bag Apple products have never performed a line level matched blind test - and therefore continue to perpetuate the myth that Apple products sound bad 
size]

And yes - I have plugged my cans into something else.  The iPhone4 and iPod Touch G4 I have are better to my ears than the Cowons and Sonys  I used to have.

I think he meant a source that provides more power to drive a pair of headphones that may not be as sensitive. I could be off though.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

And I've come to realize that people who write posts like yours plug their cans into something like this:

Well, good luck with your lower back pain and your ripped cargo pants. 
biggrin.gif

But I guess the positive thing about those rigs is that they can be wielded as a weapon in case you get mugged.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

I've used some very good sources and I still have no issues with apple products as my source.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #29 of 55

But I guess the positive thing about those rigs is that can be wielded as a weapon in case you get mugged.

Transportable Forkliftable?

I still respect that rig. It's not every day you see someone put their iCan on the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back