Are Grados suited for Classical?
Aug 4, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 66
The RS1 does string instruments extremely well. Best headphones I've heard for string instruments.

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 66
I think the GS1000 is a better headphone for classical than the RS-1, but the RS-1 isn't shabby. I don't think the RS-1 could possibly to large orchestra stuff, or choirs remotely accurately... but It does wonderfully with string quartets and organs (I was totally shocked by how damn good it sounded with the organ). Overall, however, I wouldn't replace the HD650 with the RS-1 as my main classical can.

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 66
Grados will do fine as long as you don't have more than one instrument...after that things get hateful. Classical guitar should be really impressive on an RS-1.
Once you have alot of instruments, you need a soundstage...

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #7 of 66
I think Grado's are too aggressive even for solo classical. It's fatiguing to listen to piano, let alone the harpsichord. And organ works -ugh. You need soundstage for that kind of stuff.

Especially coming from your 650s. You will find it too forward.

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RS1 does string instruments extremely well. Best headphones I've heard for string instruments.

I am a Grado fan. My GS1000s should be in soon. In regards to your question, I agree with GlorytheWiz825 that it is good for string instruments. But, if you want a soundstage for Classical I really like my AKG 701s and others like the HD650s. The GS1000s I've heard are a different signature from the other Grados. They supposed to have a bigger soundstage than the other Grados (which I'm not sure if it's saying much considering Grados have a nice small soundstage, which I love). I've heard that the AKG 701s have the biggest soundstage. Good luck on your search
rs1smile.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #9 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Grado's are too aggressive even for solo classical. It's fatiguing to listen to piano, let alone the harpsichord. And organ works -ugh. You need soundstage for that kind of stuff.

I thought they were fatiguing. Period. Not with just classical >.< Try SR225 + Nora Jones - the treble makes you want to suicide via making IEMs out of tweeters.

Aug 4, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No...

340smile.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #12 of 66
I have listened to YO YO MA(classical cellist) with my 80's and 225's and he sounded ok. Is soundstage that important? It sounded alright to me.

Aug 4, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #13 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have listened to YO YO MA(classical cellist) with my 80's and 225's and he sounded ok. Is soundstage that important? It sounded alright to me.

It is only important with more then one instrument (or lage orchestral work).

Aug 4, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #15 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zayeem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is only important with more then one instrument (or lage orchestral work).

I guess that is why senn's are listed for classical. They represent the environment better. I listen to rock and such so grados are for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back