Are Grados suited for Classical?
Aug 4, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #32 of 66
No, they aren't. The peaks in the upper mids and lower treble drown out the high overtones and render the sound far too aggressively.

Aug 4, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #34 of 66
I think the HP1000 is the only Grado that is acceptable with orchestral works [can't speak to GS1000 as I only briefly heard the prototype]. All others are too wooly in the bass. When it comes to classical music, it is most important for me to have bass that is balanced with the rest of the spectrum. The HP1000 is very well balanced, but I still prefer a can with a larger headstage.

Aug 4, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I can say is I've never heard a cello reproduced as well as on my woodied HF-1.

Better?
rs1smile.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzy fuzzbucket /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if any of you read on what base grados are built. John Grado stated that the headphones were built to suit rock and anything like rock. and you will be able to notice that this is quite true when trying grados on rock and classical. grados will shine in rock music i think ecpecially with Bee Gees, Kansas, Chicago and so on. pipe organs? hmm... the good thing is that its not distorted, the bad thing bass notes may sound thin. the reed stop will shine however.. Fugue BWV565 is a good one to try out.. those of you who likes rock, progressive or pop i think shld go for grado. classical hmm maybe not... haha...

I certainly agree. For BWV565; that Grado or even my MS2i won't do it justice. Just too big a piece(I like HD600 for that!)but for smaller organs the MS2i do fine where the long pipes are shorter and the short pipes are closer.

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #37 of 66
I don't like my RS-2 or any other Grado I've heard for organ music. The sound is neither warm nor juicy enough for those rich organ tones. Reeds sound far too shrill. Also, organ music requires a substantial amount of spacial/ambience reproduction which Grado headphones can't really do. Maybe the GS1000 can?

EDIT: just been listening. The RS-2 is just about acceptable for organ music, but I'd rather be using my custom IEMs to be honest. They're slightly too fatiguing.

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #38 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like my RS-2 or any other Grado I've heard for organ music. The sound is neither warm nor juicy enough for those rich organ tones. Reeds sound far to shrill. Also, organ music requires a substantial amount of spacial/ambience reproduction which Grado headphones can't really do. Maybe the GS1000 can?

For the larger organs in a Cathedral-type of setting the Grados certainly don't quite do it. But for smaller organs in much more restricted spaces where the bass isn't as strong and doesn't have as far to travel, and the pipes are generally much shorter and smaller, and closer, then MS2i at least does more than just a credible job of reminding me of what I heard while listening to a good number of the smaller organs around the state of Michigan.

....of course my ears were a lot younger then!
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #39 of 66
Im listening to the last movement of Winter on SR-60s. I could tell when a bass player messed up etc. but it sounds like I'm sitting in the orchestra, but facing towards it maybe sitting at the Conductor's podium (this is especially weird for me because I used to play in an orchestra, so no everything sounds reversed...)

Aug 4, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #41 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought they were fatiguing. Period. Not with just classical >.< Try SR225 + Nora Jones - the treble makes you want to suicide via making IEMs out of tweeters.

Heh, not exactly the best cd to test with. The Nora Jones discs are notoriously hot and pitchy up top. I can't listen to them on anything. No need to target the 225's on that issue.

As for "classical" depending on the actual genre, concerto, ensemble, symphony etc...different headphones do excel in different areas.

Personally I find the RS-1's do the best at violin and cello solos and duets and are a strong contender for small chamber works and ensembles, but the R10's with their added space take small string works in my opinion. Though I prefer the tone and timbre of the RS-1's, the R10's best them in speed, articulation and space which is really nice. For this reason alone I'd plunk down the cash on the R10's.

The GS-1000's (haven't heard the K1000's) are my choice for large scale works. No other headphone I've heard touches them in wide open spaciousness. Combined with their speed and articulation and one can in a headphone world, extrapolate reasonably well what the sound might be like live. Speakers of course win out for anything on this scale.

Aug 4, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #42 of 66
well i've just recently got a set of GS1000's after never owning a decent set of phones before (HD465's was it) and haven't listened to much classical music.. nearest thing i've listened to classical is Roger Waters - Ca Ira and it sounded pretty good to me, they do have a wide soundstage imo but then again i haven't tried many headphones out.

Aug 4, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #43 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow I had no idea it would be a resounding NO......good thing I didn't purchase any grados as I mostly listen to classical.

Judging by your screen name you listen to Mahler. In which case Grado and Mahler just don't mix
biggrin.gif
It's not that horrible, but when there's something better to compare against...

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #44 of 66
I listened so far to HD580, SR-60 and K501 only with classical. It may come as a surprise but i actually prefered the headstage and the detailed sound of SR-60 too the somewhat artificial and incoherent soundstage of the HD580. In fact after listening the sr-60 for a while i just couldnt stand getting back to the 580 because i found their sound muffled, way too dark and just not fun at all. With K501 its another story; it is obviously superior to SR-60 in all areas, but then agian sr-60 is the entry level in Grado line, whilst the K501 was the topdog of AKG. Soon a SR-325i will arrive and i'm going to fully understand what is Grado all about in classical.
So DavidMAhler, my strong advise for you is to do whatever it takes to try a pair of Grado's because after reading peoples opinions YOU JUST THINK that you know Grado but in fact you dont know them at all. I guarantee you that even a cheap SR-60 will blow your mind away with their sound even in classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back