Are expensive cables silly squiggly snakes? Ahhh! Mine eyes!
Apr 10, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #1,261 of 1,535
I just had a thought regarding the subjective nature of soundquality. I was just checking on the burning process of my new K701. Here is what I just experienced. Coming from a 650 owner:

Emotion 1 = ANGER, as I thought to myself it was a lot of money to spend and where is the warmth, there is so much missing from the sound, how can people label this reference, where there is NO bass - real life sounds have BASS, car engines, truck engines, etc. I don't know how articulate or tight the bass in a v8 engine might be - but it will always be there floppy or not.

Emotion 2 = TOUCHED as I heard for the first time how REALISTICALLY the Mid/Upper midrange seamlesly gelled with the extended Treble and details, with a smooth, liquid and transparent manner revealing the subtle variances in Lauryn Hills vocals never heard previously. Thus creating a closer understanding of the emotions that she is trying to convey to her audience about the topic that she is singing about. I think my heart skipped a beat.

Emotion 3 = FRUSTRATION at such injustice of having heard the most touching rendition of vocals and details EVER and it is NOT being anchored down with a solid foundation of drive and authority that only bass can provide.

Connect to HD595 (within easy reach also gives the senheisser sound a trump card with the 650 stashed away)

Emotion 4 = RELIEF as the foundation and drive is restored to the music. Familiarity leads to security the bass lines drives the music and the energy levels rise - (We all know Eye of the Tiger makes 5 year olds champions of the worlds).

Emotion 5 = LONGING for the Touching midrange and details of k701

Emotion 6 = FEAR that I have finally encountered the dreaded Sennheiser VEIL

It is IMPOSSIBLE to seperate music from EMOTION - one can measure the frequency response of sound - How does one measure the senheisser VEIL and my subsequent realistic response - or did I just Imagine that VEIL (answer YES) but did I imagine the Fear (NO).

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #1,262 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*literally lols*

I'm on the floor. I'm dyin' here. Jeepers, I needed that.
dt880smile.png

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #1,264 of 1,535
This is a quote from Stephen Marsh of 6moons " [size=x-small] I think that audiophiles who don't hear much or any difference between cables are either deaf, in denial or simply don't have systems capable of revealing the differences." It is not just me. Oh yeah hear is me gloating a bit. HA HA!!! Just had to get that out!
[/size]

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #1,265 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it was not a waste, as long as you connect them to some good solid core copper!!!
biggrin.gif

From you experience is solid core that much better or different than strands? Do you have any experience with silver IC's are they much better or different?

I have never purchsed IC's in the last 6 years of speaker listening - cables made NO difference. I got into headphones 6 months ago (when I noticed interference in my cheap headphone when playing TOMB RAIDER) when I bought 650, I mean WOW!

I am looking at purchasing new interconnects since, by absolute chance, I discovered that cables WILL change the sound - This occurred exactly 2 weeks ago, I bit the bullet and joined Head-fi.

Look at the statistics of this thread - Over 50 percent of voters felt purchasing cables MORE than 50 dollars is snake oil - I am Kinda in this section because I don't own cables vaued at more than 50 dollars BUT I KNOW cables make a difference. In this category alone exists a proportion that still believe cables DO affect sound. Tally that with the rest of the categories and we have what is probably a 50/50 split between those that agree or disagree as to whether cables affect sound.

Of the participants surveyed, how many have converted from a firm belief against cables, then due to experience - reconsidered. Compared to those that had a firm belief for cables, then with experience and better euipment - changed their minds. In these two possible scenarios only ONE can occur and NOT the other (not including idiots that believe in cables without hearing differences for themselves). What are the statistics when applying this survey exclusively to people that own $2000 equipment and higher? MORE IMPORTANTLY - and I REALLY REALLY want to know - what are the statistics form only BLIND hobbyists (With the absolute logic that people lacking of such a significant sense absolutely posses greater hearing capability than those that dont).

Understanding that my experience with cables is very minimal - are there any suggestions on an inexpensive solid core or silver interconnects so I can assess the performance of these unconventional designs.

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #1,266 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a quote from Stephen Marsh of 6moons " [size=x-small] I think that audiophiles who don't hear much or any difference between cables are either deaf, in denial or simply don't have systems capable of revealing the differences." It is not just me. Oh yeah hear is me gloating a bit. HA HA!!! Just had to get that out!
[/size]

This is a quote from a friend of mine who's an EE "all these ppl saying that cables matter are 99.9% auto-induced subjective, and let their brain make them hear what they want to hear"
redface.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #1,267 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by spanimal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From you experience is solid core that much better or different than strands? Do you have any experience with silver IC's are they much better or different?

I have never purchsed IC's in the last 6 years of speaker listening - cables made NO difference. I got into headphones 6 months ago (when I noticed interference in my cheap headphone when playing TOMB RAIDER) when I bought 650, I mean WOW!

I am looking at purchasing new interconnects since, by absolute chance, I discovered that cables WILL change the sound - This occurred exactly 2 weeks ago, I bit the bullet and joined Head-fi.

Look at the statistics of this thread - Over 50 percent of voters felt purchasing cables MORE than 50 dollars is snake oil - I am Kinda in this section because I don't own cables vaued at more than 50 dollars BUT I KNOW cables make a difference. In this category alone exists a proportion that still believe cables DO affect sound. Tally that with the rest of the categories and we have what is probably a 50/50 split between those that agree or disagree as to whether cables affect sound.

Of the participants surveyed, how many have converted from a firm belief against cables, then due to experience - reconsidered. Compared to those that had a firm belief for cables, then with experience and better euipment - changed their minds. In these two possible scenarios only ONE can occur and NOT the other (not including idiots that believe in cables without hearing differences for themselves). What are the statistics when applying this survey exclusively to people that own $2000 equipment and higher? MORE IMPORTANTLY - and I REALLY REALLY want to know - what are the statistics form only BLIND hobbyists (With the absolute logic that people lacking of such a significant sense absolutely posses greater hearing capability than those that dont).

Understanding that my experience with cables is very minimal - are there any suggestions on an inexpensive solid core or silver interconnects so I can assess the performance of these unconventional designs.

The changes are all in your head

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #1,268 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The changes are all in your head

Perhaps changes need to be made to your head - I can arrange for this. I can also arranged fro your eyes to be gauged out so your hearing may improve - you don't see **** anyway. Then you can hear the dribble that your friends have to put up with.
popcorn.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #1,269 of 1,535
Quote:

Deaconblues, if you really know your system it is easy to tell. Go a step further and add power conditioning, the sound will change. Even go as far as replacing the receptacle in the wall the sound will change. IC's are only the tip of the iceberg tweeking our gear. As soon as we can identify silver IC's have a different sound signature to copper this hobby becomes really fun trying to find the perfect IC's or whatever to add to our gear for the "perfect" sound. Just my 2 cents. olblueseyes cant take all the heat for this one.

DUDE! I just bought a Belkin Isolator surge filter thing earlier in the week and it really cleaned up the treble/ upper midrange - as good as upgrading source. You know this all started for me when I was convinced that amplifiers were not that much differenct from each other. Convinced I had wasted $1000 on MF XcanV3 amp / powersupply (had to get the power supply so I can turn the thing on and off) because it sounded different - but not better than my Yamaha surround sound receiver. To investigate further I had the power supply sitting on top of the amplifier - I took it off to check the heat at the top of the amp and it was very warm. I left it off to see if it ran cooler - yes it did. Then I noticed why this thing costs as much as it did. The sound was UNBELEIVABLE. Cables and power filters all made a difference. Whoever said snake oil does't work, where did he buy it and how did he use it?

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #1,270 of 1,535
It is curious, and even funny, how when someone among the closed minded deaf stupid cloth ears skeptics had crossed the fence and post in the other side of the moon, the Great Architech of the Universe Power Force had always punished them, as they are not allowed to post about their honest and more scienfically based belief in cables there...but still the frantic zealot very smart and golden ears believers, are allowed to come here, and still poison, and insult the skeptics intelligence with what could be considered their absurd insinuations, from the objective point of view, of what they actually believe they hear, and what they believe they know, but with no other evidence, that the very important and extremelly relevant (especially for them) anecdotal voodooish pseudoscientific experience (in the best of the cases).

I was under the impression that the segregation should work both ways...like some kind of we do not bother you, and you do not bother us, type of mentality and behavior...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

For the more serious members this is a joke, OK?.....
devil_face.gif
beerchug.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #1,271 of 1,535
I really don't know if I can hear a difference or not. I have a $3000 system. Not chopped liver but not high end. I'd rather spend money on decent cables that are well constructed and use the "big bucks" for the major components and music.

Although rules of thumb can be dangerous, if you apply a 5% rule to cabling that could be considered reasonable. So if I have a $3000 system I shouldn't spend more than $150 on cables.

If I had a $30,000 system, $1500 on cables seems reasonable, if for no other reason than they look cool. Of course if I could afford $30,000 for a headphone rig, $1500 would just be pocket change.

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #1,272 of 1,535
Quote:

[/size]

Does 6moons accept advertising from cable manufacturers?

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #1,273 of 1,535
You could ask them?
smile.gif

I just read a review on cables and ROFL. Had to share.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #1,274 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does 6moons accept advertising from cable manufacturers?

6moons is a relatively tweaky site, they review a good number of somewhat questionable tweaks such as CD demagnetizers, geen pens, cable towers and so on...I woud hazard that they are deeply in the cable-believer camp...also I do not think I have ever seen them, give anything a bad review.

Apr 10, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #1,275 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are plenty of amps out there that have extremely similar specifications, yet they sound different, and we don't call people "gullible" when they state those differences.

I do on a regular basis. Unless it's measurable I highly question their findings.

Quote:

2) No one does DBT for headphones. And if we did, I guarantee that more than half of the community would find results that do not support their actual "beliefs" about multiple pieces of equipment.

See above . . .

Science is the closest thing we have to logic. Experience is something anecdotal, and should be seen as such. I'm not going to say "there is no difference", but instead "there's probably no difference".

Science isn't infallible, but humans sure as hell muck up more without it on a regular basis.

My $.02 on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back