Are Expensive Cables Pointless for Me?
Dec 13, 2009 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sektr

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I have a pair of D5000s recabled with Moon Audio Blue Dragon, and I'm about to order an Audio-GD Compass to pair with them, using my PCs sound card as a transport. Now I'm curious as to whether or not with this system there is any point in getting expensive cables, or will I be able to tell a difference?

I'm torn between getting the less expensive $75 Audio-GD power cord with their $22 coaxial cable, and getting the much more expensive Blue Dragon power cord and coaxial cable to match my headphone recable.

So do you guys think I'd see any benefit from the more expensive cables in this situation, or is my system not good enough to benefit? If so, are there any other options under $400 for an amp and DAC that would benefit more from good cables?

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 13
Don't buy an expensive power cord. Please. Or if you really want one for shininess in your hifi, get one from Emotiva. I'd recommend Blue Jeans, but they have the sanity to not make power cables, despite the fact they'd no doubt sell trucks of them.

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 13
you dont have to spend a ton on cables to get a good quality cable imo.

Just keep checking the forums....i got some great cables made by a user on the forums here. He has built 3 cables for me so far and from now on, i go to him when i need something.

I would do cables dead last in line of upgrade....maybe a decent set of IC's...other than that, wait till you upgrade your whole system and there is nothing left to do...then think about cables.

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 13
Cables, for me, are all about build quality and to some extent, looks. I can't ever see myself spending obscene amounts on Valhalla interconnects and powercords, but $50-75 is reasonable for a product that will last. Also, DIY cables are an easy way to learn the basic practice of DIYing in general. TBH, I can't really hear a difference.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 13
Now is not the time for power cords.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 13
Forget the power cables. If you want an improvement, spend $20-$50 or so on an isolation transformer. It'll take ground loops and noise off the line in a way that can be demonstrated scientifically. You cannot demonstrate the effect of a power cord. So get what makes an actual difference instead.

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sektr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I'm torn between getting the less expensive $75 Audio-GD power cord with their $22 coaxial cable, and getting the much more expensive Blue Dragon power cord and coaxial cable to match my headphone recable.

So do you guys think I'd see any benefit from the more expensive cables in this situation, or is my system not good enough to benefit? If so, are there any other options under $400 for an amp and DAC that would benefit more from good cables?

I have several Audio-GD power cords on my system and I see no need in getting anything more expensive than these, they were actually recommended to me over some more expensive cords. So these should be your upgraded power cords.

As far as digital coaxial cable you may want to do some homework, I did find differences there in SQ myself, but there are those who would debate it and suggest wire hangers instead.
confused_face.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 13
Yeah I've heard mixed opinions on the differences power cables make, if Audio-GD power cords are good I'll pick that up when I order the Compass. As for coaxial, I do have experience with higher quality ones making a larger difference, so I'm kind of set on getting at least a decent one for this.

I've heard good things about the Blue Dragon coaxial, but I've heard good things about BJC as well. As little difference as cables make, it might be worth it to get the Blue Dragon just to match my headphone cable :p

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 13
I found the Audio-gd power cord made an improvement to the Compass. Uncle Erik's suggestion of an isolation transformer is interesting. I believe what may be happening with power cords is that their capacitance filters high frequency noise coming through the power lines -- noise which might be audibly affecting the circuits.

It's worth noting, though for much more expensive rigs (~$1000+ maybe) that ttvj.com has the Silver Circle Audio Juice Box Jr. for $175 which might be better value than a couple of expensive power cords for a headphone rig, something I need to test with mine.

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 13
I got a coaxial cable from Lee at Cryo-parts that was kind of expensive but not insane. He makes them up but i don't think they are on his site. Then the higher end part of his company, Locus design has some too if you want the best best, but they are out of my price range I'm afraid. I think those are just being released-The Core??from Locus. I'll see if I can find a link and edit it on to this post later.

Edit- Here is the Locus design link, I'd love to but I need a raise first.
redface.gif

Locus Design | Digital Interconnects

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forget the power cables. If you want an improvement, spend $20-$50 or so on an isolation transformer. It'll take ground loops and noise off the line in a way that can be demonstrated scientifically. You cannot demonstrate the effect of a power cord. So get what makes an actual difference instead.

the isolation transformer is an interesting idea than i'm willing to try out. do you have any particular one to recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back