Are custom IEM's significantly more comfortable than high-end universal IEM's?
Jul 19, 2010 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

joay

100+ Head-Fier
[size=small]When comparing high-end universal IEM's to custom IEM's, do you find the comfort and fit of the universal to be:[/size]

[size=x-small]1) significantly less comfortable than custom made[/size]
[size=x-small]2) almost on par with[/size]
[size=x-small]3) roughly on par[/size]
[size=x-small]4) Universal's are actually more comfortable than custom made[/size]

[size=x-small](assume the best universal and best custom you've had experience with)[/size]

[size=x-small][For those so inclined to help me with my own decision making]:[/size]
[size=x-small]The decision has been narrowed down to TF 10, Shure SE530 or JH 5 Pro custom made.[/size]
[size=x-small]My Criteria:[/size]
[size=x-small]- $400 Max[/size]
[size=x-small]- Driven by Itouch 3rd gen. (No amp)[/size]
[size=x-small]- Fit and comfort are critically important to me (hence the original question) as I will be listening for many hours at a time[/size]
[size=x-small]- Isolation: Not particularly important to me. I would still like to hear someone speak at work or hear a car coming while running, lol (all-in-all full isolation or no isolation makes little difference to me)[/size]
[size=x-small]- Listening: Primarily ambient electronic (e.g. Nature sound's, Kitaro, Nicholas Gunn...) and female vocals (e.g. Delerium, Enya, Enigma, Garbage, Poe...). Bass is nice but not of primary importance.[/size]

[size=x-small]Custom's sound like a good option but I don't feel are a good value (i.e. A universal purchased at $400 can be resold at $300+ provided you take care of them. A $400 custom is $400 down the drain if you tire of them) so I'm leaning toward the Shure SE530's at this point.[/size]

[size=x-small]Thank you in advance to those generous enough to offer assistance,[/size]
[size=x-small]Joe[/size]

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 30
in my experience, yes they are significantly more comfortable.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 30
And in my experience no.
atsmile.gif
Admitedly I have only tried custom tips. I found that having a great wodge of silicone in my ear was more uncomfortable than just having a tip in my ear canal. YMWV!

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 30
My custom IEM is much much more comfortable than my previous high end universal (SE530).  But then again, it all depends on your ear size/shape.  Some people find the SE530 very comfortable.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 30
Customs are more comfortable with consistent isolation and once it heats up to body temp, you hardly know it's there. The quality of the custom IEM is very dependant on the accuracy of your mold.  I get my mold done by an audiologist.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 30
Its deliberate protocol response - they have it hardwired into their annoyance circuits.

Next time it happens, just get a pad of paper and a pen and hand it to her

Quote:
No contest. Customs all the way. Besides cost, only down side is that once I put them in, the wife has to ask something.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 30
Customs can be resold nowadays. Mind you, you generally do take a heavier loss than reselling universals, but you do get something for them at least.
People can get used customs reshelled by reshelling companies like Unique Melody in China and Fisher Hearing in Florida.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:
Customs can be resold nowadays. Mind you, you generally do take a heavier loss than reselling universals, but you do get something for them at least.
People can get used customs reshelled by reshelling companies like Unique Melody in China and Fisher Hearing in Florida.

So I'm under the impression that "customs can't be sold" is outdated information.

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #12 of 30
Do you custom owners find it to be true that customs typically last 2-4 years due to changes in your ear.  Has anyone felt them lose their comfort over time due to possible changes in ear shape?

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
Quote:

So I'm under the impression that "customs can't be sold" is outdated information.

They can be sold now yes but for the most you will suffer a loss. They typically go for 50% or less of how much you bought it for not including shipping, impressions, etc.

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #15 of 30
Anyone on this thread from London and know where I can get customs made for my Shure's.
Can't find anywhere and when I search I get pointed towards places in America. Going to the US to get them really would be an expense. So any pointers within our great tube network here in LDN would be much appreciated
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back