Are counterfeit headphones common? Thoughts on buying used...
Aug 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DScience

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

So I recently got a pair of audio technica ad700's and I already am thinking about upgrading. I love the style and fit, so logically I have been looking at the ad900x. I found a used pair on Amazon, and the seller who has good ratings stated that the phones are in "like new" condition with about 10 hours of use.

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are about buying used.

1) Is there a big risk of getting counterfeit headphones?
2) Has anyone ever purchased used phones from Amazon?
3) I'd be saving about $40, would you suggest just getting brand new ones?

Thanks for the tips in advance!

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 7
It often depends on the headphone.  I know for a fact that Beats and some Audio Technica headphones like the ATH-ESW9a are sadly replicated.  These vendors are often unauthorized dealers coming from China.  If it were me I would buy them from an authorized Audio Technica dealer.  It is simply not worth the hassle if they are either damaged or fake.

You can type in your zip code here and see if there is a dealer near by:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/dealers/dealers.pl

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 7
If the price is good to be true, that is an indicator of a fake headphone.  
Blur made some good points already, i just want to add that the "For sale" section on this forum is a good place to buy headphones. Lot's of head-fier's with good rep sell their headphones on mint condition.  

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 7
I saw someone post on here that he bought Sony MDRMA900 from a store in Canada and he said he didn't think they sounded all that good so he thought they may be fake. Um, I was going to buy them from that store and now I am afraid to because of what he said.

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 7
  Thanks guys! Ended up getting some new ones, didn't want to take the chance.

Usually better chance of getting used ones that are genuine vs new ones.  Fake products generally do not last long before failure.  I sold my headphones with the same description and they were definitely bought genuine, imported from Authorized Japan Dealer haha :wink:

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 7
common? i'm leaning towards "kinda," because the ath m50s sony mdr v6, beats, and the sennheiser hd 598s are counterfeited alot. but I've never erally seen a hifiman counterfeit, and I've never seen a fake hd 650 (although I'm sure there are some out there), and I've never seen a fake audeze (yet).

common denominator is that the cheaper entry level phones seem to be counterfeited more, and the beats line which is counterfeited a ton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back