Are CD's compressed?
Dec 17, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #31 of 78
As far as I know and after asking this to other people. It seems the Via 1708S IS the thing that processes sound on my computer. The specs for it.....are super high. like i look at it and think.....can my computer really do this? it says it has a dedicated headphone amp...but I don't know. It amplifies about just as high as my mac does. but there is no low frequency at all.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A78TE/#specifications

-VIA® VT1708S 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC 
DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
- Supports Jack-Detection, Multi-Streaming, and Front Panel Jack-Retasking 
- Optical S/PDIF Out ports at back I/O 
- ASUS Noise Filtering

my control panel has these options that I use.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #32 of 78
Quote:
As far as I know and after asking this to other people. It seems the Via 1708S IS the thing that processes sound on my computer. The specs for it.....are super high. like i look at it and think.....can my computer really do this? it says it has a dedicated headphone amp...but I don't know. It amplifies about just as high as my mac does. but there is no low frequency at all.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A78TE/#specifications

-VIA® VT1708S 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC 
DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
- Supports Jack-Detection, Multi-Streaming, and Front Panel Jack-Retasking 
- Optical S/PDIF Out ports at back I/O 
- ASUS Noise Filtering

my control panel has these options that I use.

All of this doesn't actually matter, what matters is:
- the intrinsic performance of the chips on your mother board
- the general scheme and the grounding scheme in particular
- how well implemented the circuits are ie. no sentivive signal path besides high current paths, using intermediate copper traces on the PCB to isolate traces on different layers...
and not necessarily in the above order.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #33 of 78

Quote:
All of this doesn't actually matter, what matters is:
- the intrinsic performance of the chops on your mother board
- the grounding scheme.
- how well implemented the circuits are ie. no sentivive signal path besides high current paths, using intermediate copper traces on the PCB to isolate traces on different layers...
and not necessarily in the above order.

100% High-quality Solid Conductive Polymer Capacitors! (VRM 5000hrs lifespan @105°C, 500,000hrs @65°C)
font]
This motherboard uses all high-quality conductive polymer capacitors onboard for durability, improved lifespan, and enhanced thermal capacity.

? This? I'll just stick with the Cirrus Logic on my Mac :)

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #37 of 78

Quote:
Yeah, the usual suspects, Fiio E10, Musiland Monitor 01/02/03, iBasso D-Zero, Hifiman HM-101...

Depends what you can spend.

Why do earphones clip a lot?
My theory is that due to the loudness war. the rap songs that are regular playyed on the apple earphones cause it to clip. and after clipping from the loudness war the drivers of the earphone are damaged and will clip more likely. is this correct

could the earbuds also start clipping because the ipod isn't delivering enough voltage so it plateaus like you said? I wondered about this...bc earphones are usually very easy to drive.... yeah. im very interested in how every single thing works

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #38 of 78
Quote:
Why do earphones clip a lot?
My theory is that due to the loudness war. the rap songs that are regular playyed on the apple earphones cause it to clip. and after clipping from the loudness war the drivers of the earphone are damaged and will clip more likely. is this correct

could the earbuds also start clipping because the ipod isn't delivering enough voltage so it plateaus like you said? I wondered about this...bc earphones are usually very easy to drive.... yeah. im very interested in how every single thing works

I don't think clipping is going to cause driver damage.

What your hearing might not even be clipping, just distortion from the driver. iBuds are mostly distortion below 100 Hz.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #40 of 78
Quote:
what about smartboards then?

On campus, we have smartboards in many classrooms. Many times, when playing content, the teachers would turn it all the way up, till the driver has the crackle crackle shzz shaking sound. that's clipping right

That's probably just noise.

Turn some amps all the way up and you'll hear that sort of noise even if there's no signal. Clipping requires a signal.

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #43 of 78

Quote:

Well, if it's loud then both the amp and headphones will distort more even ignoring clipping.

I'm not even sure what you want to know anymore.

I'm sorry. I'm under pressure right now. I have all these audio phenomenoms that happen to me everyday and I just want to know what they are. But i've basically got exactly why everything happens now thanks to you and the help of the others. I've got my research paper, and 3 essays due in a week. :'(

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #44 of 78
I've got a idea that relates to the original post, and perhaps it's incorrect;

Every digital file is lossy from the original recording.

For a digital format to be lossless, it would have to be -bit and have akhz sampling rate... I'm not sure about the bitrate though, but 2 channels should be enough for our two ears if recorded binaurally.

Thoughts?

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #45 of 78

Quote:
I've got a idea that relates to the original post, and perhaps it's incorrect;

Every digital file is lossy from the original recording.

For a digital format to be lossless, it would have to be -bit and have akhz sampling rate... I'm not sure about the bitrate though, but 2 channels should be enough for our two ears if recorded binaurally.

Thoughts?

you just blew my mind. basically i haev gotten to the point of trying to get it all inside my head that i've given up.
how computers store data. 1024 binary or window's recognizing 1000 as a size. 8 bit's file size. 16 bit..and up. 1.4Mbit sizes..error checking data.....omg..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back