Are CD's compressed?
Dec 17, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #16 of 78
Quote:
This might be a noob question for someone with so many posts...but yeah. a friend asked me..i was baffled for a second. From what i curently know. CD's hold 700MB. the files on it are usually in this RAW format. Are the songs in the RAW format have a specific bit rate? AIFF has a standard bit rate of 1411kbps. is this the same as in RAW? I know some albums have a lot more songs on one disk than others? explain the whole process please :)

I'm surprised no else pointed it out yet, but "RAW" is a completely inaccurate term to apply to audio data. "RAW" refers to a type of image file used by cameras and photo processing software like Photoshop. The term you're looking for is PCM data, and on Windows this data is stored in the WAV format; on the Mac it's stored in the AIFF format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-code_modulation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV_file
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Interchange_File_Format

Another technicality to point out is that unless a disc is a Yellow Book CD-ROM, it does not contain "files". Red Book CDs (music CDs) are recorded differently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_%28CD_standard%29

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #18 of 78

Quote:
That's true apart from those fancy XRCD, HDCD, DTS on CD etc. and yes I have seen this in stores.

so does it look like there's anyway to improve my audio codec? ...i  sound like a noob right now. ...i can't belive i just asked if there's a way to upgrade my audio codec... *facepalm* i guess an External DAC like An E7 or the soon to be released E17 or E10 would be better

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #19 of 78

What do you mean improve your Codec? Huh?

You need a 24/192 DAC in order to play 24/192 content.

I think the Fiio E10 is 24/96, ummm.... the cheapest 24/192 I know of is the Musiland Monitor 01 mini, it comes in snazzy colours too, no idea what the HO is like though.

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #20 of 78

Quote:

What do you mean improve your Codec? Huh?

You need a 24/192 DAC in order to play 24/192 content.

I think the Fiio E10 is 24/96, ummm.... the cheapest 24/192 I know of is the Musiland Monitor 01 mini, it comes in snazzy colours too, no idea what the HO is like though.

you missed my previous page's comments

after a bit of discussion. it seems my audio codec on my motherboard is also my DAC
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/audio/codecs/vt1708/

and...spec wise...people were alll. What? This supports it? Ehh it is on a gaming motherboard so i guess it would be better than normal. plugging in directly produces.....absolutley no low frequncy for some reason. i have to plug my heapdhones into my destkop speakers

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #22 of 78
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_codec

Quote:
In hardware, "audio codec" refers to a single device that encodes analog audio as digital signals and decodes digital back into analog. In other words, it contains both an Analog-to-digital converter (ADC) and Digital-to-analog converter (DAC) running off the same clock. This is used in sound cards that support both audio in and out, for instance.

Integrated sound cards are often referred to as codec.

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #24 of 78
Integrated sound chips are DAC and ADC in one. The chip is usually the sound card.

The difference between external/dedicated sound cards (or DAC/amp) and onboard cards is very analogous to that between dedicated graphics cards and integrated gfx cards. Integrated will do the job, while dedicated will do the job much better.

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #26 of 78
As far as integrated codecs go, Via's are quite good when compared to Realtek's. I wonder whether the odd sounds bowei heard had to do with plugging headphones into a line-out jack with a high impedance. If the integrated does indeed have a dedicated headphone driver, then a high sensitivity 32 ohm Ultrasone shouldn't pose much of a challenge.

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #27 of 78
Well we can't know unless he tells us what his sound-card is, or his "integrated codec" if that is the same thing, first time I've heard it.

If the HO "produces absolutley no low frequncy for some reason" and he is "plugging into his desktop speakers" it doesnt' sound like it's working, after all he has to plug the desktop speakers into something, and they will have the same problem, and colour the sound further, unless he's connected them via coax or optical or something like that.

The desktop speakers are probably Logitech and have a poor headphone-jack as well, and he's listening to Linkin Park ripped from a vinyl in 24/96 or 24/192, probably playing it in 16 bit mode via DirectStream in Winamp, all in all a disaster.

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #28 of 78
You know integrated or onboard sound cards are not actually cards, I only used the word loosely.

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #30 of 78

Quote:
thank you :)
i'll seperate my questions with the ---------

Now on to itunes vs Exact Audio Copy vs dbpoweramp

So is there really a big difference between all of them from what i hear. EAC will not have any errors. and so if you hear any crackles or artifacts in your lossless music. it means there was some error and you should go back and do it through EAC? so should i be using EAC from now on instead of itunes-->ALAC?

Ripping errors, are either very audible: they take the form of a loud 'pop', a sudden interruption of the music, or they are nearly inaudible. In both case, they are localized and punctual, they are spread over whole tracks. Itunes does a very good job of ripping tracks for undamaged CDs, you may want to switch to EAC for CDs in poor shape. The main advantage to using EAC is the integration of AccurateRip, a database which can confirm the accuracy of your rips, with iTunes, you need a 3rd party software.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clipping/over excursions

This is when you either hear a crackle, pop or metallic sound right due to not enough amp power in and the loudness war right? 

Crackles and pops often indicate a problem directly with the rip process (not the compression one) or they could have been directly in the master of the music, in which case the mastering engineer was probably drunk when he mastered the track. Clipping on the other hand sounds like there's a fuzziness added to the peaks, they sound distorted.

One of my songs "Iridescent" by linkin park has this problem. it sounds like it might just be a bad error. When the majority of background music cuts out and it's just the soloist signing. you can hear little fuzzy artificat cracks tricle across the high vocals. This is probably due to the bad ripping right? I downloaded from two different downloads, both had same problem. they could just be using teh same main download source though.

It could also be a recording issue, where the recordiing engineer used too much gain on the microphone preamp, leading to clipping directly in the mix.

Ok just tested Shadow of the Day by Linkin Park. on my 2010 macbook pro. it had no problems playing with no cracks and anything. i used the macbook pro for the top song too. however, when i plug my headphones into my ipod and play the same FLAC song back. i hear many driver made cracks and pops. is this due to clipping and or overexcursing from not enough power? This happens with a couple songs

I heard pops in some of my songs. some say it's do to clipping or overexersion from

If you hear clipping with the same file with 2 different amps, it's probably one of the amps no having enough power and not digital clipping in the track itself.

24bit? all the songs i hear the cracks and pops from are from my linkin park minutes to midnights album. all in FLAC but in 24bit. could 24bit and 48KHz be doing this on my ipod? I remember reading that 24bit is just an increased dynamic range. and i know what sampling rate is. on the ipod. can it automatically switch to 24bit and 48KHz or does it just stay 16bit @ 44.1KHz the whole time? if it does. could this be causing the problem..unlikely right. i didn't change my MAcbook's setting to outpu in 24bit and 48KHz. i do that on my PC. but my PC's DAC is not nearly as good as the Cirrus Logic and whatever amp in my macbook pro.

could it be a combo of 24bit, 48KHz that isnt' supported on the ipod, added in with the pretty big 1666kbps ALAC and not enough power on the ipod?

I wouldn't know, never looked at the iPod hardware in detail.
------------------------------------------------------------
ALAC/FLAC decoding?
ok so what i think happens is this. you endode a song into ALAC or FLAC. and when you play it back on your music player. it decodes it. and uncompresses the compressed FLAC or ALAC file. which would then result in larger bit rate ...is this correct.? so..like. you take the current bit rate you see. find the compression rate in the properties menu. and do some math. and you can calculate bit rate that way right? 

I don't understand what you mean, a conversion from ALAC/FLAC to WAV will restore the file to it's original raw PCM form, in fact it does it on the fly when you play FLAC or ALAC, the player convert tenths of seconds of to raw PCM and feeds it to a 'first in first out' memory buffer. Anyway, most lossless codec compress at around 60%.

Wait just had an epithamy....the maximum bit rate no matter what for 16 bit songs (majority ) is 1141kbps while for 24bit is 2304kbps... right?

Actually, the only bitrates possible for a 16 bit / 44 kHz file is 1141 kbps and the only bitrate possible for a 24 bit / 96 kHz file is 4608 kbps, 2304 kbps is the bitrate for 24 bit / 48 kHz.

Thank you very much for you and anyone that can answer these questions...i don't know if these are advanced questions, i've been on head fi for a while. but sound science has really been my low knowledge base

Users who are viewing this thread

Back