Are Canare Star Quad an improvement over stock D2000?
Aug 1, 2008 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

coolchu001

100+ Head-Fier
So I just got my D2000 yesterday and been using them since. Love them so far. But some say the cable can be better. So is the StarQuad an improvement to the stock cable? Is it worth it to re-cable them else where? I have already opened them up, drivers are easy to access to with the help from the markl thread
wink_face.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 19
Mogami Neglex is NOT almost as cheap IMO. Talking cents to dollars.

I upgraded my D2000 with canare starquad and IMO it did not make much (if any) improvement. Was it worth its cost? Sure - because the stock cable is a BITCH!

YMMV on the sonic improvements, but "markl" modded d2k w/canare and d5k with "markl" mods sound very similar. I kept my D2k and sold the other.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mogami Neglex is NOT almost as cheap IMO. Talking cents to dollars.

I upgraded my D2000 with canare starquad and IMO it did not make much (if any) improvement. Was it worth its cost? Sure - because the stock cable is a BITCH!

YMMV on the sonic improvements, but "markl" modded d2k w/canare and d5k with "markl" mods sound very similar. I kept my D2k and sold the other.

Yeah I think i'll do the markl mod along with the re-cabling. I have some starquad at home so just wondering if these would be an improvement. I should have ordered some mogami as well. Like you said, they aren't nearly as cheap as starquad its more than twice the price/ft but since this is a time consuming mod, a few bucks isn't a big deal.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 19
As far as wire size is concerned, you don't need anything thicker than probably 30awg, for headphones; and that's being practical, signal-handling capabilities-wise, it's much thinner. For durability I use 24awg stranded or 26awg solid personally for recables.

That stock cable looks shielded and of fairly nice quality. I'd love to compare that exact recable to stock to see if it's a real improvement.

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 19
I think i'll go with the W2893 this time, but whats the diameter of this cable? I will probably use the F12 plug again, or if the Neutrik NYS231BG -- 3.5mm Plug 3-Pole fits the cable I might just go with that because the F12 is kinda big and the contacts were a bit hard to solder.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolchu001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think i'll go with the W2893 this time, but whats the diameter of this cable? I will probably use the F12 plug again, or if the Neutrik NYS231BG -- 3.5mm Plug 3-Pole fits the cable I might just go with that because the F12 is kinda big and the contacts were a bit hard to solder.

The 2893 is 4 mm and will fit the Neutrik 231bg snug. I prefer the Neutrik myself as they use rings in the solder points. MUCH easier to work with, the f-12 is a pain IMO.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokenganjaclan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 2893 is 4 mm and will fit the Neutrik 231bg snug. I prefer the Neutrik myself as they use rings in the solder points. MUCH easier to work with, the f-12 is a pain IMO.

Snug...will there be room to slip in a flexo PET sleeve?? Also, does the 231bg have any cable strain relief inside? what'd you suggest i do to the exposed wires above the Y split? Heatshrink the whole thing?? I know i cant use PET sleeves there..

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolchu001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Snug...will there be room to slip in a flexo PET sleeve?? Also, does the 231bg have any cable strain relief inside? what'd you suggest i do to the exposed wires above the Y split? Heatshrink the whole thing?? I know i cant use PET sleeves there..

I guess you could get flexo in the plug with a little force. The fit is very snug tho just with the cable. You could always get the 231L. It is the nickel version but has a 6mm opening. OR you can drill out the 231bg barrel some? Personally I don't use it. It is way to stiff and VERY microphonic. If you must use some sleeving find you some nylon sleeving.
Yes the 231 has a strain relief inside. There are a few ways to cover the y split. Here are a few ways I do it.

This one is just barrel style.
Just use self stick heat shrink and shrink it down. The head makes the glue inside stick to anything. I do it twice, the second being a little bigger then the first one.

dscf0034zl6ta7.jpg

this one is the y style:
Use self stick shrink and use small needle nose or a similar small tool to make a Y while shrinking the heat shrink. Once the heat shrinks it will mold into a Y shape.

dscf0032lq0rk5.jpg

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #15 of 19
I've rewired D2000's with silver coated copper and have done comparisons between this rewire and stock D5000 wire. IMHO, find someones stock D5000 cable for 10 bucks or so and use it, Denon did a very good job with this stock cable. If your looking for night and day differences between the stock D2000 cable and other higher price alteratives I would look elsewhere. The star quad from either company is cheap and may give subtle improvements. If you have the time and ability go for it, otherwise the stock D5000 cable is well built and easy to solder into place. Just my two cents worth.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back