Are Beyerdynamic DT-235s good portable headphones?
Sep 10, 2013 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

scarman117

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones(on a budget of about €40 including postage to ireland) mainly for the bus to and around college and the 235s look like a decent option to me.
However i have a couple of questions.
How bad are they for leaking, like bad enough to disturb people near me on the bus? I've seen mention of it but nothing solid. If they are bad for leaking could I improve this by changing the pads (I've read that sennheiser 202 pads fit so i assume my 203 pads would) to make them circumaural?
Are they sturdy enough to handle being stuck in my bag during the day without breaking?

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 3
From when I had them, leakage really isn't the problem. If they still have the 8 or 9 foot cable that was more of an issue:) Anyhow the issue is that they don't have a lot of bass so out in the real world they might need pads to isolate better or EQ to have enough bass to satisfy.

I might say look into the newer DTX501p and see how that looks to you. There are some reviews if you search. I know they are supposed to sound good.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 3
I read that with pads to circumaural the bass actually becomes overpowering! The 8/9 ft cable, though it isn't ideal, wouldn't pose too much of a problem for me considering I've been commuting with Sennheiser HD-203s for the last couple years.

So from your experience i wouldnt disturb others around me playing music through them on the bus?
And would you reckon they're sturdy enough to handle being stuck in my bag?

The DTX501p look decent but leap a little out of my price range :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back