Are Berdynamic headphones all just die fast ? DT990 600ohms
Apr 30, 2014 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

x7007

100+ Head-Fier
This is my my 3rd totally new headphones that has been ordered straight from Berdynamic.

The 1st one I did alot of tests and maybe hair came through it and the speakers just died with no bass or really rattling bass.

the 2nd one I used the same headphones but I ordered 2x speakers directly from berdynamic and my friend did all the work to connected them to the set. It worked totally fine.

But now I tested through the bass test and the headphones does rattling and has weird parastic noises. I assumed it's hair and such but it happened on both Speakers at the same time ? / Weird ...

So nothing helped and I just used my 3rd totally new headphones and the sound is clean but it just keep strange every second I try to use them, the rattling start to appear very little but not like the FIRST time I connected and tested them. which was SMOOTH and really true bass. no rattling at all or parastic noises.

I never pass 50% on windows volume, its connected to Xonar Phoebus > 150 > 600ohms
I love those headphones but their Durability is just crap,, They are the only one that I heard with Hair problems and now they just have lower quality the more u use them.

How much do you set volume with your 600 ohms headphones ? cause it can't be 100% , maybe 100% is for low ohms. but for me I tried 40% too.

Anyone know what can it be ?

There is no answer anywhere, and people doesn't answer here...

May 1, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 23
U didn't run the test, of course u will think it's fine.

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

I am using xonar phoebus sound card, ye it can handle from what I heard and the quality is very good.

the only problem is the cans are just starting to rattle, now I don't think it can be hair cause it happens on both of them the same time and even when I tried to clean them, they still rattle.

Try to do the QUALITY test and tell me if you hear a rattle or parastic noises that u shouldn't hear or really annoy u. With the new headphones compared to the old one I didn't hear at first compare 1 to 1 the first time using the new headphones, but now after using it for a day it's just not clean as the 1st time, It can't be HAIR for sure , So I really can't understand what causing, the only think I can think is just weak speakers, Berdynamic doesn't make good speakers, I would like to compare them to Sennheiser 850 or 750 or 650 whichever good compare to them to see if that happens to them.

But no one ANSWER, people with 100 headphones can't do 1 test to tell me ? who is really Hi-Fi or audiophile here.

May 1, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 23
I just did the audiocheck test on my 3 days new dt990 600ohm. No rattle or noise, all test sound perfect.

May 1, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 23
I only had very old DT990 from the 80's. I sometimes hear a slight rattle in the lower bass. I believe that is due to the driver are not screwed in the housing, but only 'clipped in' the housing. So there is the possibility that certain low frequencies at higher volume cause a slight rattle noise.

May 1, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 23
Never had this problem with my old DT770. It was used almost for a decade all a ok with no problems at all. Don't have a current pair to test with, but I've never heard of sudden and quick driver failures in this manner and so many times before.

May 1, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #7 of 23
  Never had this problem with my old DT770. It was used almost for a decade all a ok with no problems at all. Don't have a current pair to test with, but I've never heard of sudden and quick driver failures in this manner and so many times before.

How do I know if the speakers  starting to Die, Died or have hair or the cables are somehow moved ? I just have them for 2 days.

I mean why would I do the test the first time I get the headphones, use them for a day and then hear a little rattling, there is no reason.. I never pass the 50% volume, and now I lowered it to 40%, there are some games that sometimes doesn't accept the windows volume and the logos movies are 100% u can barely have the headphones on, does those kind of things can ruin the speakers ? even if I do them for 10-15 sec logo movie time or the music from the game before it start is very loud.

I want to know if keeping the windows volume at 50% doesn't cause issues even if the game is very loud or in movie play the volume is 100%.

I can't decide, DT770 is not really telling us anything. the bass in those headphones are not nearly as boost as DT990 pro 600ohms. What DT770 u have / normal ?

May 1, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 23
ZenocideZ already did the test on his DT990s. 

I did this test with some IEMs. What I heard make me suspect that the noise and rattling you hear is actually present in the track they provided for the test. I suspect this because I just used some sine waves for burning in my new W40s and I'm sure the bass is clean on them, but I'm hearing clear noise and 'trembling' on the track there. 
So it's possible that what you didn't hear on your new cans became evident because the headphones have burned in, instead of gone broken. 

It would be best if someone could verify the quality and nature of the test track on that site. In the meantime, you can go find some sine wave sweeping files and try testing those. 

May 1, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #9 of 23
I can post some sine wave files when I get back home, but they're really easy to find. 
The 990s are highly revealing cans so any flaws in the track will be evident (more evident than some other headphones). 
By the way, the Beyer DT pro line has no 600ohm models, and Sennheiser HD series has no 750 or 850 models till now. 

May 1, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #10 of 23
  ZenocideZ already did the test on his DT990s. 

I did this test with some IEMs. What I heard make me suspect that the noise and rattling you hear is actually present in the track they provided for the test. I suspect this because I just used some sine waves for burning in my new W40s and I'm sure the bass is clean on them, but I'm hearing clear noise and 'trembling' on the track there. 
So it's possible that what you didn't hear on your new cans became evident because the headphones have burned in, instead of gone broken. 

It would be best if someone could verify the quality and nature of the test track on that site. In the meantime, you can go find some sine wave sweeping files and try testing those. 

Ok that says alot, burn in means those headphones just knows and shows to make the "real sound".

now all we need to know if other headphones shows the same signs exactly.

after I cleaned my old headphones and I only touched the right side, there is more than rattling, the parastic noise is really annoying, I think I have damage the membrance a bit but I can't be sure...

Anyway it had hair on it, so it needed to be cleaned..

this hair is killing me, I just want headphones that has protection from crap in the hair.

May 1, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 23
I don't really get how hair get inside the housing... I remember the inner foam screen was very securely protecting the driver. You'd have to take off the ear pads first and then take off a ring-shaped thing to change the foam screen. 
Anyway, from my experience with the 990s I could only imagine you've got some bad luck and some strange happenings there. 

May 1, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #12 of 23
  I only had very old DT990 from the 80's. I sometimes hear a slight rattle in the lower bass. I believe that is due to the driver are not screwed in the housing, but only 'clipped in' the housing. So there is the possibility that certain low frequencies at higher volume cause a slight rattle noise.

Clipped and glued, never any room for rattle.  The source of the rattle is something else, possibly the voice coil leads may have become a bit loose along the diaphragm.  Hairs are another possibility.

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 23
   I have nothing to add to this particular discussion, but I came across this a couple of days before reading this thread and then saw this comment.  I am intrigued.  This listing is currently on ebay.

Sorry, my earlier comment was regarding current in-production headphones. This listing is apparently an earlier generation product. Sorry if I didn't make this clear! 

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #15 of 23
I didn't mean to make it sound like I was accusing you of not knowing what you are talking about. I am not well informed in the Beyer headphone department and tried to look for DT990 Pros after I read your comment and there are no other references to a 600 ohm Pro on Head-Fi.

I was just curious if these were some kind of hodge podge, or if they were legit, but rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back