Are Audio Technica ATH-AD900x headphones and a FiiO E12 amp a good combination?
Jul 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ShabbyRedTabby

New Head-Fier
It's come to my attention that my skull candy IEMs are awful and I'm tired of them breaking every month. So, I've decided to invest in some good beginner headphones and an amp. I'm looking for something open and in the $200ish price range. I feel like the Audio Technica ATH-AD900x are a good pair of cans and the FiiO E 2 amp has gotten good reviews and I like the fact that's smaller and portable so I can lay on my bed with my iPod to listen to my music. My music genres are mainly electronic (Daft Punk, Blackmill, deadmau5, Glicth Mob, etc.) most kinds of rock but nothing very hard like metal.  I've heard that the AD900s had a bit of a bass problem but the AD900Xs seemed to fix that plus I would assume the amp would help. Is this a good combination headphone and amp?

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
It's come to my attention that my skull candy IEMs are awful and I'm tired of them breaking every month. So, I've decided to invest in some good beginner headphones and an amp. I'm looking for something open and in the $200ish price range. I feel like the Audio Technica ATH-AD900x are a good pair of cans and the FiiO E 2 amp has gotten good reviews and I like the fact that's smaller and portable so I can lay on my bed with my iPod to listen to my music. My music genres are mainly electronic (Daft Punk, Blackmill, deadmau5, Glicth Mob, etc.) most kinds of rock but nothing very hard like metal.  I've heard that the AD900s had a bit of a bass problem but the AD900Xs seemed to fix that plus I would assume the amp would help. Is this a good combination headphone and amp?

I would think the Fiio E12 is a little overkill for the AD900Xs, but then I would guess with this combo the E12 will last awhile on a single charge.

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
I would think the Fiio E12 is a little overkill for the AD900Xs, but then I would guess with this combo the E12 will last awhile on a single charge.

Does too powerful of an amp effect the headphones in anyway? Because if not I could always just buy now I keep the amp in the long run. I'm not completely sure how to tell what amp works well with what headphone. I was also looking at the Sennheiser HD 600s but those are a good $200 bucks more on amazon

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Does too powerful of an amp effect the headphones in anyway? Because if not I could always just buy now I keep the amp in the long run. I'm not completely sure how to tell what amp works well with what headphone. I was also looking at the Sennheiser HD 600s but those are a good $200 bucks more on amazon

The Fiio E12 is not "too powerful" for use with the ATH-AD900X headphones.
If someone had asked me about a portable headphone amp for use with the ATH-AD900Xs, I would have suggested the Fiio E11, but getting the E12 sounds more fun.
With the Fiio E12, in the future you should be able to use it with just about any (99%) of the headphones on the planet.

I really like the audio quality of my ATH-A900Xs, I would guess the AD900X sounds a little better.

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
The Fiio E12 is not "too powerful" for use with the ATH-AD900X headphones.
If someone had asked me about a portable headphone amp for use with the ATH-AD900Xs, I would have suggested the Fiio E11, but getting the E12 sounds more fun.
With the Fiio E12, in the future you should be able to use it with just about any (99%) of the headphones on the planet.

I really like the audio quality of my ATH-A900Xs, I would guess the AD900X sounds a little better.

I was also looking at the Sennheiser HD 558 or maybe HD 598. Would you recommend one of these over another?

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I was also looking at the Sennheiser HD 558 or maybe HD 598. Would you recommend one of these over another?

I like my HD558, easy to wear, works plugged into anything, sound might be considered "cold".
The HD5XX come with 1/4" plug, so you always seem to have to use the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter

To me the ATN-(X)X900Xs headphones are more preferred, like them better for music audio

One thing that does make me a fan of the HD558s is that usually you can find some used ones for just over $100.

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I like my HD558, easy to wear, works plugged into anything, sound might be considered "cold".
The HD5XX come with 1/4" plug, so you always seem to have to use the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter

To me the ATN-(X)X900Xs headphones are more preferred, like them better for music audio

One think that does make me a fan of the HD558s is that usually you can find some used ones for just over $100.

Alright I'll most likely get the HD900Xs tonight then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back