Are all optical outs the same?
Jul 13, 2007 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jonnywolfet

Headphoneus Supremus
are all optical outs the same? i ask because i want to connect a external dac to a sherwood cd changer that doesn't sound too good. if the bottleneck is in the cd player and putting out a sub par digital signal, ill just get a better cdp.
so, are bits just bits, or are there other factors?

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 13
For years I have thought co-ax was the better digital output. But the new inexpensive glass optical outputs seem to sound good, have less electrical interference and are immune from ground hum problems.

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 13
The 1s and 0s should all be the same (assuming bit perfect output, i.e. the player isn't applying some unecessary processing to the signal before outputting it), but the timing of the bits isn't always the same, resulting in a problem known as jitter.

Although the usual big bottleneck in CD players is their DAC section so if you are going to be getting an external DAC I wouldn't bother upgrading the CD player right away, test things out first and then see if the digital out of the CD player is an issue.

Jul 14, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 13
A good question... Some people say that transport upgrades make big differences with digital output, so it makes one wonder if the choice between coaxial and optical output is so simple. It seems theoretically possible that, ignoring the caveats of each transmission method, a manufacturer might have designed one implementation better than the other.

Solution: try both and pick the one that sounds better.
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 13
I'd suggest just getting a new CD player. Your Sherwood is probably just out of align, and it wouldn't be worth fixing it. Spend a hundred bucks or so and get a nice CD player.

That's my guess.
Steve

Jul 14, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 13
My DVD and CD transports have both optical and coax. I have both wired in to my TC-7510, giving me 4 inputs from the 2 players, and I can flick between the two with ease. I don't want to start a new debate on this, but I find that some music is OK one one type of connection, and other music seems OK on a different type of connection. So which of my transport is best, and which connection is best? I don't know, but I am glad I have a choice instead of being stuck with one or the other.

Jul 15, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 13
well ill be getting emu 0404 for my laptop soon anyway so its worth trying out. the cd player does not have coax, only line level analogue and digital optical out. what i am trying to ascertain is whether or not bits are bits, i know that the dac/amp play a massive part in sq, but could it be that the sherwood is not capable? is there any other reason (other than alignment) why it would be outputting a rubbish digital signal?

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 13
I've heard that the amount of light output from an optical signal can vary, and that some players don't output enough light to send an accurate signal. Since it's a digital signal, it's still just a stream of on/off (1/0) commands, but imagine if the signal was supposed to be "1" and it was at "0.5" brightness. The device on the other end might not be able to correctly interpret the signal if its level is too low.

Jul 16, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 13
All consumer-grade audio gear uses the Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format (S/PDIF). There are a few connection methods on which S/PDIF can be transmitted.

The normal digital audio optical link manufactures use is called "Toslink" (generically, EIAJ optical). The "Tos" comes from Toshiba, they designed the transmitters and receivers. They do not have spectacular bandwidth or speed. Inside the player or dac, they are pretty much connected to the same lines a coaxial in/out would be connected to, therefore you're undergoing an unnecessary media conversion from electrical to optical and back to electrical. All this can effect signal timing. Bits may be bits, but they have to arrive at the digital receiver in the right order at the right time. When they don't, you get what's called jitter. In practice, there is ALWAYS digital jitter, even in one-box CD players. However, the S/PDIF interface makes things worse, as the digital audio signal and clock information (which tells the DACs when to decode a bit of the datastream they are receiving) have to travel along the same conductor. S/PDIF uses biphase mark encoding to achieve this, however it is highly sensitive to phase distortion.

From what I can gather so far, 75Ω BNC --> 75Ω BNC is the ideal S/PDIF transmission line, with AES/EBU 110Ω XLR being second, RCA --> RCA coaxial third (the RCA connector is not ideal for such high bandwidth applications as S/PDIF), and Toslink being a distant fourth.

There's another one in the mix too - ST optical. Generally used in telecommunications and networking, ST transmitters and receivers have extremely high bandwidth and speed, and work very well for transmitting S/PDIF. Some say it's the best. For me, the jury is still out. It is certainly a different flavour. I don't like that it's an extra media conversion, but it seems more resolving than all the AES/EBU cables I have tried.

To answer the original question, all Toslink transmitters are essentially identical, but what's hooked up to them certainly isn't. Same case with any other S/PDIF transmission medium, the digital output circuitry of the transport is very important.

Generally speaking, a cheap CD player with a Toslink output will sound better through an external DAC. However, the same external DAC will sound better with a well engineered and implemented transport.

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All <snip> Bits may be bits, but they have to arrive at the digital receiver in the right order at the right time. When they don't, you get what's called jitter. In practice, there is ALWAYS digital jitter, even in one-box CD players. However, the S/PDIF interface makes things worse, as the digital audio signal and clock information (which tells the DACs when to decode a bit of the datastream they are receiving) have to travel along the same conductor. S/PDIF uses biphase mark encoding to achieve this, however it is highly sensitive to phase distortion.

From what I can gather so far, 75Ω BNC --> 75Ω BNC is the ideal S/PDIF transmission line, with AES/EBU 110Ω XLR being second, RCA --> RCA coaxial third (the RCA connector is not ideal for such high bandwidth applications as S/PDIF), and Toslink being a distant fourth. <snip>

Above is a very good post and one seldom addressed in these forums. It is somthing that should be addressed more often.

Jitter and impedance mismatch in a digital signal are not minor issues. One can tweak an amplifier's signature with cables. Warm it up, smooth an overbright high end and so forth but digital is either right or it is not. There is no tweaking.

A 50 cent crystal oscilator trying to clock a signal to a poorly de-coupled S/PDIF converter from an electrically noisy USB computer supply or a non 75 ohm so called digital cable and you start stacking real errors. Those problems don't always have anything to do with price either.

Yes music comes out but it ain't what went in to start with. Quite a balancing act we play with. The search continues....

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 13
One advantage of going with the external DAC upgrade for now is that you can always add a transport upgrade later. The external DAC, provided you spend for a good one, should provide some improvement. Then you can pair it with a transport upgrade when you feel ready for it, and take maximum advantage of the good quality DAC.

Just a thought. This one is definately between you and your wallet. <g>

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All consumer-grade audio gear uses the Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format (S/PDIF). There are a few connection methods on which S/PDIF can be transmitted.

The normal digital audio optical link manufactures use is called "Toslink" (generically, EIAJ optical). The "Tos" comes from Toshiba, they designed the transmitters and receivers. They do not have spectacular bandwidth or speed. Inside the player or dac, they are pretty much connected to the same lines a coaxial in/out would be connected to, therefore you're undergoing an unnecessary media conversion from electrical to optical and back to electrical. All this can effect signal timing. Bits may be bits, but they have to arrive at the digital receiver in the right order at the right time. When they don't, you get what's called jitter. In practice, there is ALWAYS digital jitter, even in one-box CD players. However, the S/PDIF interface makes things worse, as the digital audio signal and clock information (which tells the DACs when to decode a bit of the datastream they are receiving) have to travel along the same conductor. S/PDIF uses biphase mark encoding to achieve this, however it is highly sensitive to phase distortion.

From what I can gather so far, 75Ω BNC --> 75Ω BNC is the ideal S/PDIF transmission line, with AES/EBU 110Ω XLR being second, RCA --> RCA coaxial third (the RCA connector is not ideal for such high bandwidth applications as S/PDIF), and Toslink being a distant fourth.

There's another one in the mix too - ST optical. Generally used in telecommunications and networking, ST transmitters and receivers have extremely high bandwidth and speed, and work very well for transmitting S/PDIF. Some say it's the best. For me, the jury is still out. It is certainly a different flavour. I don't like that it's an extra media conversion, but it seems more resolving than all the AES/EBU cables I have tried.

To answer the original question, all Toslink transmitters are essentially identical, but what's hooked up to them certainly isn't. Same case with any other S/PDIF transmission medium, the digital output circuitry of the transport is very important.

Generally speaking, a cheap CD player with a Toslink output will sound better through an external DAC. However, the same external DAC will sound better with a well engineered and implemented transport.

Well explained.

The quality of the optical cable can play another important role. To most of us, all optical cables are the same, but if we have proper tools for loss measurement, we'd appreciate a well terminated cable. A badly terminated cable can make a nice player sounds like a mediocre.
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negatron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jitter and impedance mismatch in a digital signal are not minor issues. One can tweak an amplifier's signature with cables. Warm it up, smooth an overbright high end and so forth but digital is either right or it is not. There is no tweaking.

A 50 cent crystal oscilator trying to clock a signal to a poorly de-coupled S/PDIF converter from an electrically noisy USB computer supply or a non 75 ohm so called digital cable and you start stacking real errors. Those problems don't always have anything to do with price either.

This man knows of what he speaks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back