Are all of you iPod lovers converts or what??
Dec 24, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #77 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I don't have any issues with anyone who has done their homework. In fact, you could say I'm here to discuss audio with those sorts of people. The only people I have issues with are those who assume and hypothesise on top of their very limited experience, tell you their very definitive opinions before getting into a contrary discussion caused by their own lack of experience and ending with "I'd just say trust your own ears...". People like that probably deserve a little poke every now and again
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Sorry man, but if it sounds good then it sounds good, all "homework" aside. You ain't gonna convince me otherwise, and frankly you'd be pretty stupid to try telling somebody what they hear and what they don't, or what sort of player is best for them. Particularly if they didn't ask.

You'd do well to talk to people as equals, instead of "beating them over the head with experience" as the saying goes. Nobody cares for self-righteousness... it's unbecoming in the extreme. Those who know, don't need to say so constantly and attempt to belittle others. If someone starts bragging up their supposed advanced experience, I'm instantly skeptical. Anyway, you get the picture.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #78 of 115
fewtch, I think you've missed the point. I don't assume much. I'm sceptical too, and for example I do make a point of proving to myself that things which I think are improvements are actually better. You're absolutely right, no-one cares for self-righteousness. I post what I think based on what I've tried. I don't as a rule assume, and I do not try and defend my assumptions with equally self-righteous comments.

I think this'll run and run don't you? Especially after your PM promising Permanent War.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #79 of 115
Quote:

I think this'll run and run don't you? Especially after your PM promising Permanent War.

I left the ball in your court on that one, and quite predictably you said "Gee it's odd, but it's actually in yours!" Then you stated "Permanent war sounds like fun!" Haha!

Stop beating a dead horse (old messages) and it's not gonna run anywhere... unlike yourself, I don't find Israel/Palestine-like situations any fun. Keep making references to it in unrelated threads and tossing out vague insults, and it will drag on forever.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #81 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Keep making references to it in unrelated threads and tossing out vague insults, and it will drag on forever.

Ah. That thread. FYI that was a totally different poke and not actually related to what we discussed previously, although it probably does come down to that assumption thing again.

On that note, I think we can put a little rest to Permanent War.

Dec 25, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #83 of 115
The ordeal of Xmas being largely stuffed, I thought I'd survey my fortress o' gmail at 5:43 a.m. and lo! contemplated ultra-new dongle wangling on this very-very thread. Bangmefewtch: what's the good of a kitten skirmish without fishnets (you know, to snare the various gobi and porcupine trout one might fricassee between ripostes)?

Having yoo-hoo-lated that, let me flask the following: has anyspawn discovered the gelatin key to the 5G's rumored recording featch?

Dec 25, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #84 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt
The ordeal of Xmas being largely stuffed, I thought I'd survey my fortress o' gmail at 5:43 a.m. and lo! contemplated ultra-new dongle wangling on this very-very thread.

We love wangling our dongles. It's a fact.

Quote:

Bangmefewtch: what's the good of a kitten skirmish without fishnets (you know, to snare the various gobi and porcupine trout one might fricassee between ripostes)?

I knew there was something wrong. I was wearing it over my head.

Quote:

Having yoo-hoo-lated that, let me flask the following: has anyspawn discovered the gelatin key to the 5G's rumored recording featch?

No. The question we are all asking is "where the aspic glazed uni is it?".

Merry Christmas.

Dec 25, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #86 of 115
Quote:

Hmmm...
5gx5imp.png

Hrmmm...
x55gdfock.png

You seem to be big time experienced in the field of DAP's bangraman. Do you happen to have such graphs comparing an iPod (any unit) and iRiver (120/140) using optical out and lossless codecs (via Rockbox)? I'd like to see the results of such a comparison if possible. Thanks.

P.S. I've tried iPod's (almost every generation of players) and clearly prefer the sound of an iRiver.

Dec 25, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #88 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
How do you compare an optical out to a line-out
confused.gif

I have no idea if it's possible at all. I would just like to see pure sonic advantages of both DAP's using every possible assets they have.

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #89 of 115
You don't. You compare the respective amped outputs. The difference is closer than you might think. I'm not sure if Rockbox and their codec implementation fixed the optical output sounding 'wrong' to me. However I have no plans to re-acquire the H1xx.

I haven't tried iPods or iRivers, but have owned them. In my case, the phones I preferred to use had the byproduct of overcoming the bass fall-off of the iPods and as such, in a quality comparison with a straight player-only shootout, the iPod won out due to it's superior fidelity. With low-impedance phones, the iRiver gained the upper hand tonally but the iPod was still composed of superior fidelity. The analog amped analog signal was superior on the iPod. However, in the case of high-bitrate MP3 files the iPod had some codec tics that the iRiver didn't have, and vice versa (although I would say that the iPod definitely had more such tics than the iRiver).

I tried squaring off a quality amped iPod against an H120 fitted with a variety of DACs. I did generally like the result that I had with the H120 and a couple of higher-end DACs as well as a fairly basic one (all non-portable). I tried a battery powered DAC and the Audio-Technica ATH-D1000 as well, but the amped iPod was potentially a marginally better option than either of these, and considered in terms of relative portability (DAC + Amp or Amp only) the results were mixed at best. It remains to be seen if the MicroDAC would improve on that.

Interestingly, substituting the Sony D-E555 (using reburned WAVs and high-bitrate MP3's) as an optical source in place of the H120 with the DACs it was bizarrely clear that the Sony was better, exhibiting more clarity.. and in this case, the sonic superiority over the iPod of the DACed solution was more obvious. All that, and the fact that the iRiver navigation / feature implementation needed much work, caused me to move on.

How these results would change with the 5G, I can only speculate. However it is possible that the DAC'ed iRiver might actually pull ahead more convincingly.

Dec 27, 2005 at 1:24 PM Post #90 of 115
I'm still waiting for Apple to add gapless playback. I won't accept from a 2005(6) DAP anything less than what CDs offered right from the beginning. And I'm always surprised by how much people are not caring about it.
A friend of mine got the latest 60GB Video iPod. Listened to Dark Side Of The Moon... half second gaps... bleah!
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back