Are all of you iPod lovers converts or what??
Dec 17, 2005 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 115

jeffnnj

100+ Head-Fier
When I first came to this site about a year and 1/2 ago it was populated with many many iPod bashers. This forum seemed to be a catalyst for lots of ugly iPod stories. I felt lonely and out of place in that I loved mine and wondered why so many of you felt it necessary to bash my device of choice on everything from sound quality, to looks, to price. I must admit that I felt lonely and out of place. Kind of like a nonvirgin at a Star Trek Convention because I loved my iPod.

Well it seems like all of that has ended and the iPod now enjoys a warm/fuzzy reputation. People are recommending it to others those of you who own them really seem to love them now. My question is this: What happened?? Did the iPod get that much better?? Did you-all collapse and realize that your resistance to Apple's allure was futile at best?? Or was it something far more insidious??

Dec 17, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 115
I am a convert. To be honest, i still think that the 1st 4gens weren't worth the money. But the 5g video is awesome. Long batt life (15-20hr for 60gb), black, tv programs from itunes, dock connection. Life's so much simpler now.... plus the headphone out is much improved.

Dec 17, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 115
I don't like iPods and don't like cell phones (seriously... wouldn't carry one unless a job absolutely required it). I draw the line at these two devices... for various reasons, I find both annoying.

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 115
When I first returned to these forums after a three-year hiatus, I thought the same thing (I missed the iPod bashing period, but I was surprised at the level of praise for the iPods I found here).

Since then I've discovered that the key development seems to be that people have figured out how to use the iPods to get excellent sound quality from them, i.e., by using the line out, a portable amp, various modifications, etc. That way they can take advantage of the conveniences offered by the high level of storage and the "jukebox" aspect of a DAP, while also enjoying good sound quality. There also have been improvements in sound compression CODECS.

Keep in mind that the iPod has become so popular that there are way, WAY more add-on accessories for them than for any other kind of audio device currently available. That makes it all the more attractive for purchase, particularly if there are forums like this one that will help people to optimize its performance.

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #8 of 115
I wonder how much of the iPod praise may be due to new members? It seems Head-Fi has grown a lot the past year.

My first iPod was a 4g and I loved the user interface. I'm looking to buy a 5g to replace the 4g I lost.

Dec 17, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 115
i think its partly due to the crowd here getting mature and ipod players improving. i've tried the 5G myself, but i'm not converted.
tongue.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 115
I don't recall if there was a flood of Ipod bashing posts, maybe a lot of
should I buy the Ipod Vs Blank posts. In fact, I've found quite the opposite. Whenever someone wanted a recommendation and specifically stated "non Ipod" the converts would pile on. This does not happen as often now, for whatever reason. (maybe the poster is not here anymore, it's over and done with, too tired to argue)
I do recall in those posts where someone mentions that they could watch videos on their player and the Ipod people would say they don't want or need video in their player.
I think the term "Ipod" had ventured into the generic term for any MP3 player.
The same can apply for the MP3 format, when someone sends me a cd with songs it's always in the mp3 format.

Dec 17, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #11 of 115
It's what I started with and I'm familiar with the software etc. It's convenient and I'm happy with the sound (headphone out/line out) and the back up service. Working on trading for a 5G 60GB soon. I drive a Lexus instead of a Porche, gets me where I gotta go........

Dec 17, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 115
I think a good fraction of us here can only remain ipod lovers for so long......i love my 5G ipod so far, before i loved my sony hd5. In the near future, i may fall in love with the zen vision:m .... there is always something better coming out that we will fall in love with. I don't think I haven't been converted to an apple fanboy in this process. Just right now, the 5G is a good player with a reasonable price.

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #14 of 115
I don't think anything would make me change my Karma to another player..I still find it astonishing that Apple, having had 5 generations or so of the Ipod still haven't implemented Gapless playback..

And it's not like it can't do it.. I believe the newer Ipod are more powerful than my Karma, it can only be that Apple choose NOT to implement it

When an Ipod can play Abbey Road properly I may think about it.. but I sure as hell still wouldnt use Itunes..

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 115
I think they have definatly gotten better since the earlier generations: more memory for the price, better battery life, video, big color screen, and still easily the best navigation and software available. I think the one problem that used to be with them was that you didn't get enough iPod for the money, but I think they have fixed that now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back