Arctic Cables Discussion Thread
Jan 23, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #661 of 910
Hi all, I wanted to provide some impressions of the new Magnus S from Arctic Cables. This is a new 20AWGF pure copper cable, which appears to be the sibling of the original Magnus cable. I had the original Magnus cable before, which I'd paired with the Fostex TH900 and found the synergy to be spot on (as indeed several people here did). This time around, I got the Magnus S for the new Meze Liric and hoped for an equally successful pairing. Read below for the results...

The Liric, to my ears, is a very well-balanced headphone with a tight/punchy sub-bass, fairly linear mid-range, and a crispy top end. The overall timbre is engaging and forward, but if I had a complaint, it would be that the top end can be a little spicy at times whereas the lower-mids can lack warmth. I also find that despite being easy to drive, the Liric is a little picky about source, too. On aggressive sounding sources (Hugo 2/Cayin N6ii&E02), the spiciness in the top end is too much, whereas on smooth/neutral sounding sources (Mojo/TT2 but especially the Fiio M17) there is a welcome balance of precision and smoothness.

As to the Magnus S, the first thing that strikes me is the build. Typical of Arctic Cables more generally, the build is robust and substantial while also being fairly nimble. From what I gather – and from my own experience – the Magnus S is better suited to desktop or home use. It has a heft to it, which is very satisfying, but is not ideal for portable use. Special mention has to be given here to the new hexagon splitter, which not only compliments the cable on an aesthetic level, but also feels quite lovely to touch without adding any microphonics to the cable. Bravo. As ever with Arctic Cables, all the terminations are done exceptionally well and the service is also outstanding.

To the important part, how does the cable sound? As I mention above – and as has been mentioned on the Liric thread – the only point of contention in the Liric’s FR is the treble. I wouldn’t say it’s sibilant, but on the wrong source/set-up, it can be slightly biting. Only on the FiiO M17 do I find an almost perfect synergy that requires no tweaking. With the Magnus S cable, I’m happy to say this synergy is reproduced on sources outside of the M17.

For example, on the Hugo TT2 and Magnus S (both with and without a Cayin C9 amp attached), the treble is well-defined with excellent extension and resolution, but with a slightly smoother and somewhat less metallic timbre. Here, I have to agree with Arctic’s own description of the Magnus S: “The high-end is open, transparent, and detailed with excellent texture and layering levels, yet never fatiguing or harsh sounding.” Never fatiguing, indeed. I find the Liric a fantastic headphone for all genres, but I find it especially good for classic metal/rock. Much of this era of metal tends to be rather strident in its brightness. On the Liric with the Magnus S, I find no such problems and I’m able to listen to the Liric for hours on end without fatigue.

Let me also say, however, that just because the treble is rendered somewhat smoother with the Magnus S, this does not mean the overall timbre has been modified, nor have any of the Liric’s technical merits been dampened. On the contrary, the overall timbre remains the same but is now more cohesive. This is true not only of the treble, but also of the mids and the bass, both of which feel better integrated into the overall spectrum. The lower mids especially now have more weight to them, creating a more balanced spectrum without taking away the speed and attack of the headphone more broadly.

A final note on the comparison between the Magnus S and my other 3rd party Liric cable, the Claire Hybrid from Forza Audiowork. I’m a huge fan of Forza, and to my mind Forza and Arctic are equal in terms of their quality. Of course, Arctic Cables have the advantage of a lifetime warranty, which is no small thing. Regarding the cables, the Claire Hybrid is made from POCC copper + UPOCC silver wheras the Magnus S consists of 7N OCC Pure Copper, meaning the Claire Hybrid has a slightly airier timbre whereas the Magnus S leans toward a slightly warmer/natural presentation. Doing an A/B between the cables, it’s clear to me that while the Forza cable sounds exceptional on the FiiO M17, on other sources – not least the TT2 – the metallic tinge re-enters the presentation. By contrast, the Magnus S – for want of a less cringy term – has a more “organic” tonality to it. I ran this comparison a few times to verify my findings with different recordings, especially problematic ones. For example, one album that is prone to sibilance from the glory days of metal history if Maiden’s Seventh Son. Especially on the cymbals and on Bruce’s “s” sounds, sibilance can be problematic. Again, direct from the TT2, the Magnus S cable better handles these problematic peaks than the Forza cable (whereas again on the M17, the Forza & Liric combination works perfectly). On a technical front, there’s not a great deal of different in presentation – both cables sharpen and refine imaging, layering, and detail retrieval from the stock cable. I would only say that the Magnus S cable has a slightly more open quality than the Claire Hybrid, which feels more intimate. For my own purposes, these cables compliment one another, especially because the Magnus S is better suited for desktop use (terminating in a 6.35mm plug) while the Claire Hybird, with its lighter touch and its balanced termination, suits portable uses.

In sum, I cannot recommend the Magnus S enough for the Meze Liric. It’s fairly priced, fantastically built, and has an impeccable synergy with the Liric. Thumbs up!

P1100766.jpgP1100763.jpgP1100767.jpgP1100770.jpgP1100803.jpg

I ordered one for my liric 2nd market. It has a 6,3mm plug. I want to use it with a Chord Mojo 2 + Meze Liric.
I have to use my Sennheiser HD650 Adapter 6,3 to 3,5 adapter to connect the arctic cable to the Mojo.
Will this reduce the soundquality in any way?

Jan 23, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #662 of 910
I ordered one for my liric 2nd market. It has a 6,3mm plug. I want to use it with a Chord Mojo 2 + Meze Liric.
I have to use my Sennheiser HD650 Adapter 6,3 to 3,5 adapter to connect the arctic cable to the Mojo.
Will this reduce the soundquality in any way?
Oddly enough, I was looking into 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapters today. The best one I have is this one by Furutech below. However the female side is very tight (🫣) and it's - no sniggering - sometimes hard to pull out 😲. So at some point, I will get a high-end one made by AC. The Furutech one won't affect sound quality but I don't like applying too much weight on the Mojo's plugs.

furutech_f35_r___07947.1656093937.jpg

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #663 of 910
Oddly enough, I was looking into 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapters today. The best one I have is this one by Furutech below. However the female side is very tight (🫣) and it's - no sniggering - sometimes hard to pull out 😲. So at some point, I will get a high-end one made by AC. The Furutech one won't affect sound quality but I don't like applying too much weight on the Mojo's plugs.

furutech_f35_r___07947.1656093937.jpg
So you don´t think the Sennheiser adapter will decrease the soundquality of the cable?! That would be great... I´ll try.

Jan 28, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #665 of 910
Hello everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has purchased an Arctic cable for Abyss Diana TC? The Arctic website lists only connectors for the Diana Phi/V2. I assume the connectors are the same through the entire Diana line, but would like to make sure hat those connectors will fit the Diana TCs before I make a purchase. Specifically, I'm looking to get the silver Argento cable. Thanks in advance. Regards, James

Jan 31, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #666 of 910
The Pallas cable I originally received for Meze 109 Pro continues to renew itself. Not only did it service the T5P 2nd gen (and Meze 99) remarkably well, its holographic soundstage and ultra-resolving attributes are now being to put to use with Kennerton's Gjallarhorn JM Edition. As before, a notable upgrade from stock cable - more refined, more incisive, better extension, crisper, but also more texture in the low end. The soundstage and imaging of the Gjallarhorn with the stock cable was already impressive, but with the Pallas it's another tier.

1120769.jpg1120771.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #667 of 910
Glad to be sharing my pics and initial impressions of a new Arctic cable - Grandis. I asked Val for a recc on a cable for my Hifiman HE6sev2, and took interest in this new creation of Arctic, which i think will be added to the webpage collection soon. It has a silver and and copper mix and while i have only just started listening to it quite fresh out of the packaging- i am mighty impressed. Before i go into initial impressions. Here are the pics!

IMG-20230219-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20230218-WA0006.jpg
IMG_20230218_142414.jpg

My He6SEV2 is outfitted with Arctic's grill and Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads, and i listen to them through a Cayin IHA6 amp connected to Denfarips Ares ii DAC with audirvana studio as my music media manager.

Out the packaging with perhaps about 10 hours (am guessing it will become even better after more hours),
Grandis vs Stock cable : The Grandis improves on every aspect. Immediately, the He6sev2 becomes more musically alive. There is a great step up in clarity of details, more convincing instrument textures, mids are more open sounding and come alive, along with much better instrument separation and stage holography.

Grandis vs AC Talos: i was using the Talos before the Grandis and enjoyed the much better bass heft, clarity, mids and staging on the Talos above the stock cable but was craving more air and treble. The grandis takes everything the Talos has to the next level, providing an even sweeter, airier mids, and adding a more holographic dimension to the staging. The Talos is a very value for the money next step upgrade for the HE6sev2 above the stock.

Thank you for reading, and thank you Val for the great recco! Am going to put more hours into this beast :)

Feb 19, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #668 of 910
Glad to be sharing my pics and initial impressions of a new Arctic cable - Grandis. I asked Val for a recc on a cable for my Hifiman HE6sev2, and took interest in this new creation of Arctic, which i think will be added to the webpage collection soon. It has a silver and and copper mix and while i have only just started listening to it quite fresh out of the packaging- i am mighty impressed. Before i go into initial impressions. Here are the pics!

IMG-20230219-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20230218-WA0006.jpgIMG_20230218_142414.jpg

My He6SEV2 is outfitted with Arctic's grill and Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads, and i listen to them through a Cayin IHA6 amp connected to Denfarips Ares ii DAC with audirvana studio as my music media manager.

Out the packaging with perhaps about 10 hours (am guessing it will become even better after more hours),
Grandis vs Stock cable : The Grandis improves on every aspect. Immediately, the He6sev2 becomes more musically alive. There is a great step up in clarity of details, more convincing instrument textures, mids are more open sounding and come alive, along with much better instrument separation and stage holography.

Grandis vs AC Talos: i was using the Talos before the Grandis and enjoyed the much better bass heft, clarity, mids and staging on the Talos above the stock cable but was craving more air and treble. The grandis takes everything the Talos has to the next level, providing an even sweeter, airier mids, and adding a more holographic dimension to the staging. The Talos is a very value for the money next step upgrade for the HE6sev2 above the stock.

Thank you for reading, and thank you Val for the great recco! Am going to put more hours into this beast :)
Looks amazing! I also have the new Grandis coming in and your impressions and photos only whets my appetite more. Holographic staging indeed seems to be a characteristic feature of the Arctic Cables design.

Interesting to see the CuTech XLR plug. How do you like it?

Feb 19, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #669 of 910
Looks amazing! I also have the new Grandis coming in and your impressions and photos only whets my appetite more. Holographic staging indeed seems to be a characteristic feature of the Arctic Cables design.

Interesting to see the CuTech XLR plug. How do you like it?
It's beautiful and sturdy looking. Takes a teeny bit more effort to insert into my amp compared to an aeco xlr. everything about it screams quality

Feb 23, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #671 of 910
AX2 is coming.

I reckon I'll rip through this thread in eager anticipation.
Ripped. @Roasty great posts.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #672 of 910
Arctic Cable bundle in the mail today, including the forthcoming Grandis. Wow, this thing is a refined beast! I thought the Gladius was impressive in terms of its build and design, but the Grandis takes that to another level. Impressions to follow. For now, admire the craftsmanship of Val and his crew:

1130038.jpg1130044.jpg1130046.jpg

Mar 3, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #673 of 910

That is quite a good looking cable. How flexible is it compared to the Talos?

Additionally, did Val reveal if this cable will be replacing a pre-existing cable in Arctic's lineup or will it be an addition?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #675 of 910
Out and about with the Signum IEM cable....

P1130075.jpg
Was just looking at that IEM cable recently, since I got a promising new IEM arriving tomorrow in the collection.

Just having trouble deciding between Signum and Lavricable's Grand IEM cable. You ever tried that line of product before? Also how's the weight and flexibility of this cable for IEM usage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back